Should i stay away from diet pills?

Options
Hi All,

i've just started on MFP and was wondering, along with this low calorie intake! is it worth getting a slimming aid?

Are there any diet pills that don't have nasty side effects such as running to the toilet too often!?

Is it worth it?

Mel x

Replies

• ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Eat right
    Exercise
    Vitamins

Stay away from diet pills... They just don't work and cost too much.
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    What! I'd say yes to diet pills if you want to change the chemistry of your brain.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

i've just started on MFP and was wondering, along with this low calorie intake! is it worth getting a slimming aid?

Are there any diet pills that don't have nasty side effects such as running to the toilet too often!?

Is it worth it?

Mel x

No need. use MFP and add the deficit, no need for LOW cals just a small deficit and proper diet and some exercise, weight loss is not a quick fix and if you are looking for one then I doubt you will find much support here for that.
  • symphonika
    symphonika Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I think if you're just starting out you should try to make your own sucess instead of relying on a supplement to do the work for you. With the right amount of determination and tools you should be able to see results, you just have to motivate yourself to do it.
  • misssmiles
    misssmiles Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    diet pills are a quick fix. MFP encourages a lifelong change.
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    They work yes....BUT they are not the way to go if you want to keep the weight off AND be healthy at the same time! All it is is caffeine.......I tried em once and would take proper diet/calorie deficit and fitness any day!
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Short Answer: Yes
    Long Answer: Do you really have to ask?
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    My advice is stay well clear of diet pills.

A friend of mine is an amateur jockey. He took them a few times when trying to make the weight limits for races. I've seen the side-effects.

Honest opinion: Don't touch them at all. Stick with MFP and lose weight cleanly and healthy.
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Diet pills are expensive and unnecessary... a lot of them are filled with a substance that just swells the stomach to give the illusion that you're full (those that tell u to take it with a full glass of water, lil before u eat and all that nonsense *cough*Hydoxycut*cough*)
    Took a different one as well, and i felt loopy... never again

i say stay far from them, take vitamins, eat properly, make better food intake choices and log them on MFP, do exercise and you'll be fine.

you didn't put the weight on overnight, so u surely cant and shouldnt be trying to take it all off overnight (healthy)
  • Dizzle_65
    Dizzle_65 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Diet Pills won't help you and your relationship with food.

Bad habits make you put on weight, good habits do not! The changes you plan to make need to become habits, pills are not the answer.
  • chicpower1
    chicpower1 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I've tried diet pills in the past and found that not only do they not work well, but they did have unintended side effects. With one my blood pressure went up even though I'd never had high blood pressure. With another I became moody and even irrational. With yet another I realized it was doing me no good because I was still over eating, hungry or not. I wouldn't recommend trying any.
  • kirstyfromscotland
    kirstyfromscotland Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    you only have to look on here to see u dont need diet pills or any other quick fix, mfp works, its done me the world of good, ive never looked back. good luck. :0)
  • kayasuma
    kayasuma Posts: 11
    Options
    At the same time I started MFP and counting calories, I started taking some "diet pills", that are what someone already said here, an appetite inhibitor, and it worked well for me, with the water too. I usually have a really big appetite, so if I want to lose some weight I must try to control it, and the pills help, but of course I can take them forever, so just see them as way to get used to a different appetite, and then lose them and try to keep the same new habits you developed for your diet.
  • fdgetter
    fdgetter Posts: 8
    Options
    Definitely stay away from diet pills. I'm almost 54 years old and have been on many diets through the years and I've found that if you look at the claims that they use for the pills, they almost always include eating less calories and usually they include exercise. So, just skip the pills and do the latter. I've lost 80 pounds since January 1, 2011 through reduced calories, walking, and bicycling 30-40 minutes, 4-5 days a week. I also keep the carbs and fat calories at a minimum. I started at 357 and I'm now at 277. Fred