Cancer and Re-Usable Water Bottles

Options
Hey everyone,

I am in need of a new re-usable water bottle I can bring to work. I don't like the steel ones because the rim opening of the bottle is too small for me to put a half lemon wedge in. So my question is, what number am I supposed to be looking for on the bottom of hte plastic water bottles? I know that some of them can cause cancer so I was just wondering which is best?

Thanks!

Diana

Replies

• doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I have an alum bottle (Got it from WalMart) and you could stick the whole lemon in the top. It is a wide mouth type............ it is the Breast Cancer version (pink) and part of the proceeds go to the BC research fund. I can send you a picture if you want. :o)
  • SeaShell33
    SeaShell33 Posts: 141
    Options
    as far as I know BPA free. Unless there is something else I am unaware of. =)
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I don't know the number but I got one at Target that was BPA Free.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    BPA free is the best, but the specific numbers to watch out for are 3, 6, and 7.

http://cltampa.com/dailyloaf/archives/2009/05/04/cancer-in-a-water-bottle-the-numbers-to-avoid-on-your-plastic-bottle
  • PirateJenny
    PirateJenny Posts: 233
    Options
    I would steer clear of the commercial plastic bottles (Dasani, Aquafina etc.) all together.

Nalgene is going to be your best bet (in my opinion) if you don't want to use steel, but there is still some debate over whether even that is completely safe. I would be careful about where you store it an avoid leaving it in direct sunlight or in areas where it will get hot (like the trunk of your car). I would stick with the actual brand Nalgene, some of the knock-offs are pretty much colored plastic and still contain PET, PETE or other BPA materials.

Klean Kanteen makes a great, durable, wide mouth bottle in a variety of sizes. They are my favorite and what I use at home (they make a fridge size) and outside.

Good luck!
  • PirateJenny
    Options
    Silly double posting MFP!
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I have a steel one I purchased from Walmart for FIVE bucks! woohoo!
    It has a straw which for me is a must. The rim/opening is big; around 2 inches plus.

http://www.outdoorproducts.com/Products/-/64
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    Klean Kanteen has a bunch of great options (and designs).

http://www.kleankanteen.com/
  • PirateJenny
    Options
    Sorry, forgot to mention Klean Kanteen is steel.
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I will 3rd or 4th the BPA free nalgene. Not a big fan of the metal ones either. Any outdoors store will sell them for pretty cheap ($10-ish?).
  • Tanya761
    Tanya761 Posts: 146
    Options
    I have some awesome ones from Costco. They are made by Contigo and come 2 in a pack. They are stainless steal with a plastic lid, and they are absolutely 100% leak proof. You don't have to open a lid, there is a "button" to push and it opens for you to get liquid out, and when you let go it seals. I have dropped them and nothing spills out. they are good for hot or cold drinks, and they guarantee a cold drink will stay cold for 12 hours, and hot will stay hot for 4 hours. They are wonderful!
  • light_shimmer
    light_shimmer Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I found this:

To summarize, plastics #2, #4 and #5 are generally considered safe. Plastic #1 is safe too but should not be re-used due to the risk of growing bacteria. Any other plastic should be used with extreme caution, especially around food or drink. The risk is even greater when heating food. For microwaving in particular, remember that microwave safe containers aren’t necessarily healthy. They just won’t melt. In general, it’s better to avoid microwaving plastic entirely and stick to glass.

from here:

http://ecovillagegreen.com/903/what-do-the-plastic-recycling-numbers-mean/
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    5, 4, 1 and 2
    all the rest are bad for you. :)
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Options
    5, 4, 1 and 2
    all the rest are bad for you. :)

Hey, that rhymes! :smile:
  • wildon883r
    wildon883r Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Stainless steel water bottle from Walmart for 5 bucks is my personal choice. I think they over freaking hype anything they can even when it comes to bottled water and their bottles.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    IDK about the number, but I think it's good as long as it's BPA free....

I got mine from CVS on sale..it's been a PHENOMENAL help
  • liberty741
    liberty741 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I got my new water bottle everyone!!! It's BPA free, 32 oz and it's CUTE! I got it at the Victoria's Secret Semi Annual Sale for $5.99! Thanks for all the advice
  • SueHerm
    SueHerm Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have a Cammelback, and it doesn't have a number on the bottom. But it does say "BPA free". I love it because it opens very wide, and you drink through a straw attached to a plastic thingie that you have to bite to open. It's easier that it sounds. It's also 3 cups which is a great size for me; I drink 2 cups with my morning meds, so that with 2 fills of my bottle I've had my 8 cups.

I love it so much that with my next paycheck I'm going to buy the model that has a built in water filter, so that I can refill it anywhere. That will be the one I take when I'm heading out for long shopping trips, or really anyhere that I don't know if I will have access to filtered water.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    Just checked my favorite nalgene bottle with the Phish logo on it...and it's #7 :(