"monthly friend"

Options
For those of you that have awful cravings around your cycle time, how do you handle those? That is the worst time for me, and I always fail at resisting my cravings, especially the ones for chocolate! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• nananie2
    nananie2 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'll be all ears, because these cravings drive me crazy!
  • Shaysuki926
    Shaysuki926 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Well, I bought fruit instead of goodies and my go to is fiber one key lime pie and dipping all kinds of fruit in it. Thats all I can do...
  • skinnyhappy
    skinnyhappy Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Eat darker chocolate! It's a bit better for you as it isn't loaded with sugar and milk (fat). I try to keep loads of fruit around as I usually crave sweets (anytime really).

As for menstruating, there've been a few studies I've read (all very preliminary), stating that women's metabolisms do tend to rise a bit (maybe 5-10%) 7-10 days before you start. That said, your body is able to metabolize 100-300 extra calories without you noticing any actual weight gain, all bloating aside of course ;)

So no worries, your body NEEDS those extra cals to do its thang, so indulge (responsibly!).
  • KnottyJen
    KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I try to find things that fit within both categories - craving AND healthy(er). Like, if I'm craving chocolate, I'll have ONE piece of dark chocolate. Or if it's salty that I want (which I usually do), I'll have popcorn or another low cal but still salty option.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    I can tell you what NOT to do... DON'T substitute a whole box of Fiber One Caramel Coconut Fudge Bars in place of a Snickers binge UNLESS you own running shoes ( still not sure if that much exercise could have been logged)
    Can you take a *WILD* guess how I know that?????
  • mkcalvert
    mkcalvert Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You don't have to agree with me, but it works FOR ME!

Now, with that said I'm sure some people will not agree, but what I do....Buy a bag of Nestle TollHouse choclate chunks out of the baking section of the grocery store and put in the freezer...I believe 1serv of 1tbs is like 60cals and 0sodium, but it helps get that craving out of the way and in the freezer the rest of the month I don't think about it as bad.

Today I had a fiber one oats and choclate bar as I was unprepaired for this to hit, but it worked nicely...
  • Mrs_TrimWaistFatWallet
    Options
    Yoplait light yogurts that are 'dessert flavored' :)
  • KateCon912
    KateCon912 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Don't buy anything that you would crave around that time. Make sure you have no access to it! I crave chips and once i start I can't stop! I have to avoid going to my mom's at that time of the month because she always offers me chips! Stay strong!
  • kimbermoore
    Options
    Yogert is also a good thing to have on hand. Especially since it comes in so many yummy flavors now.
  • froglegjack
    froglegjack Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I just plan for the calories....extra exercise or whatever. I don't go crazy but I will indulge.
  • iwlizz
    iwlizz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You don't have to agree with me, but it works FOR ME!

Now, with that said I'm sure some people will not agree, but what I do....Buy a bag of Nestle TollHouse choclate chunks out of the baking section of the grocery store and put in the freezer...I believe 1serv of 1tbs is like 60cals and 0sodium, but it helps get that craving out of the way and in the freezer the rest of the month I don't think about it as bad.

that sounds like a great idea! I've just started my cravings, and it's driving me nuts, not to mention, we haven't gone food shopping so I'm trying to make healthy choices based on empty shelves, and I'm hungry!!
  • vegasfitness
    Options
    Quaker rice cakes or a 0 sugar protein bar works well. Weight loss shakes will keep you away from cravings , the Slim brand works well!!!
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    the new pretzel M&M's is only 150 calories for the whole bag... that won't break the bank. I like peanut M&M's better... but the pretzel is 100 cals less :)
  • jnell82
    jnell82 Posts: 136
    Options
    Thanx everyone! I am definitely going to try to be strong next time around!
  • bradynsmom
    bradynsmom Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I really like the toll house idea. I crave choclate and nuts big time around that time of the month, to a point it is worse then a pregnancy craving. I just need a taste to get rid of it though so I might have to try that.
  • aubry87
    aubry87 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I like to make smoothies, Ill use greek non fat yogurt fresh berries Ripe banana & a tad OJ. It gives me the sweetness I like but packs in the protein and its all healthy!

Or there are a lot of "Yogurt lands or froyo" type places, you serve your self & you can add fresh fruit. So its replaces ice cream for me. I LOVE ice cream.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I'm odd as my appetite shoots up about 1-2 weeks before for around 4-5 days then goes and I'm ok once Im on my period.

As a matter of fact Im in that mood at the moment where I just can't seem to sedate my hunger. I choose healthy options and for dessert have lower cal muffins..or 2!

Its annoying, especially for days I can't get to the gym as I end up 100-300 over my cal allowance