Cappuccino

Options
I love getting cappuccino from convenient stores...Yeah, no Starbucks for me! But it's so high in calories :( I was really craving one this morning, but resisted. What do you do when you need a cappuccino fix?? Any healthier options?

Replies

• NewMK08
    NewMK08 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I love getting cappuccino from convenient stores...Yeah, no Starbucks for me! But it's so high in calories :( I was really craving one this morning, but resisted. What do you do when you need a cappuccino fix?? Any healthier options?
  • abetterme
    Options
    I buy the powder mix at the store and get either the fat free or the sugar free , I know it isn't the same as the convienant stores but it works for me.:flowerforyou:
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I use Swiss Miss diet hot chocolate. Not the same but it's warm and chocolately
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    Cappuccinos at conveience stores tend to be more like hot chocolate mixes and not steamed milk with espresso. (I found that out the hard way as a kid....bleh :sick: nothing like expecting a sweet drink and getting milked down coffee!!!)

To make it at home, try mixing the mixes that you can get at the grocery store with actual coffee or making htem with non-fat milk.

:flowerforyou:
  • heartshapdworld
    heartshapdworld Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I have yet to figure this one out as I tend to not care for the non-fat, low-fat alternatives of anything hence no more cappuccino and chai tea lattes for me! (until I find a good alternative)

But if you find something worthy-let us know!

I had to switch to black tea. (it still has the caffine)
  • mlillie
    mlillie Posts: 302
    Options
    I love chai tea (the tea bag not the mix) with some steamed milk and froth on top (I use almond milk)! Perfect each time. If you want it sweet you can add a little Stevia to it.
  • Mely
    Mely Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    If you are talking about the "cappuccino" in the machines, those are loaded with sugar and high fat milk (powder I think). Why can't you get a real capuccino from a coffee shop and ask them to make it with low fat milk and add sweetner. That's what I do and I count it as about 1 cup of milk.
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    If you are talking about the "cappuccino" in the machines, those are loaded with sugar and high fat milk (powder I think). Why can't you get a real capuccino from a coffee shop and ask them to make it with low fat milk and add sweetner. That's what I do and I count it as about 1 cup of milk.

That's about right, too. 16oz cappuccino made with 2% milk and espresso is 120 calories. (they tend to be mostly air) Add in your sweetners and you're looking at 20 cals per pump (unless you go sugar free and then you're looking at 0 cals per pump) and a 16oz drink at Starbucks takes 3 pumps if I remember correctly.

In all honesty, though, make your own coffee and throw in a splenda flavor pack and you're ten times better off! and you're saving money too!! You can purchase the same kind of "to-go" cups at any store.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Yummy, I am sitting here, reading this thread, sipping on my homemade Iced cappuccino!

I always make extra coffee in the morning so I have it for later. By 3 pm when I want a caffeine fix, the coffee is really strong.

I use 1% milk and if in the mood for chocolate, a small squirt is only 20 cals.

:drinker:
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Cappuccinos at conveience stores tend to be more like hot chocolate mixes and not steamed milk with espresso. (I found that out the hard way as a kid....bleh :sick: nothing like expecting a sweet drink and getting milked down coffee!!!)

To make it at home, try mixing the mixes that you can get at the grocery store with actual coffee or making htem with non-fat milk.

:flowerforyou:
    this is very very true. Its all pwdered sugary mix and water. Get some java toss in skim lmilk and equal. Or break down and got to the bux. I always do soy, cause milk in coffee sickens me(heated milk ewwww). plus you get a protien fix and a caffine fix all in one. Or if you are lucky enough to have a sheetz(that may just be here) they are a gas station that is FAR beyond that. They have actual coffee shops in them. as well as subway quality subs and food.