Ladies: where to shop for clothes???

Options
jrhstarlight
jrhstarlight Posts: 867 Member
A small rant:

I am in my early 30s and a curvy busty woman but love the junior style but know Im "too old" to be wearing them :( However where do I need to shop? I understand juniors fit different than womens and are made to fit the woman's body better. I usually shop at Target or Old Navy and currently live in a small town, not too many stores around. But lately I have a few family members basically fussing me out for wearing the clothes I do! :( For instant my pants no matter what size falls off my butt so my cousin keeps saying I need to buy women sizes ( which I was under the impression Old Navy was) but she keeps saying Old Navy is junior and I need to STAY AWAY. So I went and bought a pair of size 14 jeans from Target but they also are falling off like crazy :( Let me point out Im currently in between sizes, so thats an issue in itself. When I showed them off I got the same fussing about why in the world did I shop at Target knowing those arent appropriate for me???(but like I said I bought the 14 which is women cuz its an even number) Plus Im around 5'4" and keep getting told I need to buy petites. Please give me some advice on where Im suppose to shop and what types of clothes to buy without looking like a grandmother that my mom apparently wants me to dress like.

Replies

• kristiedavis1
    Options
    I don't think it's about where you shop but making sure you are in the right department for your size. There is a difference in a 12/14 in a juniors and a 14 in Women's. I wear anywhere between a 24-28, 3X, 4X depending on how things are made and I too shop at Target and Old Navy on-line. Just look for the signs that say Misses or Womens or ask a clerk for help.
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    I am 28 and a mother and I shop at Old Navy and Target. They are NOT just for juniors. My mother is 55 and shops at Old Navy and I don't feel that she looks like she is dressing too young at all. If you really feel like your clothes are age-appropriate for you , then tell your family that. What you wear is your choice, not theirs.
  • stephy52604
    stephy52604 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am 30, also curvy and busty and I shop at Old Navy. I haven't been able to find anything (pants especially) that fits better. There is just enough curve in the pants for my booty. I would say stick to what you like and tell them to lay off
  • alligatorsmile
    Options
    old navy definitely sells "women's" jeans/pants!! not JUST juniors. some of their rhinestone-encrusted tops are bit much for me, but maybe not for you! *sometimes* kohls or jc penny's has okay women's clothes. and you probably should be wearing petite but just try stuff on! good luck!
  • tanyizzle
    tanyizzle Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I use to work for Old Navy and there clothes are meant for the WHOLE family not just for "juniors" So in my opinion you should keep shopping there. You can find some good deals sometimes.
  • Shanell802
    Shanell802 Posts: 37
    Options
    I would suggest Lane Bryant. They have this great system...they have three styles or fits available for your particular shape...I'm betting that you would either be a triangle or a circle...definitely not a square. They have cute age appropriate jeans (I'm 26, and I shop there.) in many styles and colors and washes. They also have different lengths, so you can get whatever you need. One drawback...they are kind of pricey. About $49.99 usually. But to me, jeans are worth it. I wear them all of the time, and they will last a while. I hope this helps :) (Also, just so you know...most people at work and such consider me pretty fashionable ;)
  • ShakenWithJoy
    Options
    First ... head to the MISSES section. This is the small to Xlarge sizes made for curves. ... also get rid of your "size" focus. Pick several pants and try them on... You may be surprised how a petite (short) pair of jeans one size up makes your curvy rear look quite nice.

Women's sections would be X1 on up. A 1X is similar to an XL but not quite as long. If the size bugs you take out the tag.

I like Kohls. They have a great selection of stylish clothes in all sizes, including petites...plus bras that fit a real pair of boobs.

I like Target for all things but clothes. For discount type stores, I prefer KMart to finding styles that fit. Also, check out some thrift stores, consignment shops. You may be able to work out a clothes swap..which leads me to...

host a clothes swap with several friends - then invite a bunch of ladies to bring and exchange clothes. take the left overs to a thrift store :)

hope this gives you some ideas!
  • MamaByGrace8
    MamaByGrace8 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thankfully we have an outlet mall, so I buy a lot of things at the Gap Outlet. They have two styles of jeans, Curvy and Long & Lean, that I've gone back and forth with depending on how each baby has affected my body. lol With sales/clearance & coupons, the prices are comparable to the thrift store except they are brand new. (I love thrift stores & consignment stores, though!) I shop at Old Navy, too, but selectively and usually not for jeans. After having kids O.N. jeans just don't fit right. Just make sure that wherever you go you don't buy "low rise" or "ultra low rise" jeans, which will make your crack attack.

My friend took me to Fashion Bug during their 50% off sale, and they have different styles of jeans that fit great, too. Ross is another place to try. I got a pair of Lucky jeans a few months back for under $20.

HTH :)
  • erzille
    erzille Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Depends what options you have available...I have been shopping clearance racks...Do you have a Ross in your area? You can try TJ Maxx. We have a Dillards closing locally, and they've been transfering items form other store to sell there. Last two weekends I have been getting good deals at Belks too.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    You have it right....odd numbered sizes are juniors, even sizes are misses. Misses sizes are cut differently because grown up women are generally curvier than teenagers. Both Old Navy and Target have junior departments, but they also have misses. Unfortunately though, a lot of pants just aren't cut for a more hourglass figure and will be too big in the waist. Wear a belt - or a tailor can take the waist in for you.
  • mmarzipan
    mmarzipan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you are planning to lose more weight, try an upscale consignment shop. That way you don't spend alot of money but can still get a variety. You are correct that women's sizes are even and junior sizes are odd. Look for brands that cater to curvier women and not skinny minnies. Old Navy's clothes can be cut quite small; but they do sell women's sizes. Try Ann Taylor Loft or Merona from Target if you like new brand name clothes with curvier options. Once you find the brands you like, you can shop online if there's not a store in your town. Also, I would suggest pretty wrap dresses and skirts which are so wonderful in the hot summertime, and you can skip the pants issue you're having. Finally, if you feel good and comfortable about what you wear, that's what really matters. Young is a state of mind! Have fun!
  • korygilliam
    korygilliam Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I agree! I am 33 and prefer the styles of misses over womens. I can't fit into juniors, but I would if I could, I am size 14 misses and 5'10" with birthing hips that will never fullfill their use, so juniors are out. My only suggestion: I like low rise jeans, but you must make sure that when you squat down, that your buttcrack and/or panties don't show! That is, to me, repulsive and tacky regardless of your size. If you are between sizes, then either wear a belt to cinch it in or wear shirts long enough to cover the gap. Also, don't wear tight shirts. Most 'juniors' shirts are form fitting and run smaller for the 'youth' body shape. Typical american adults grow out of this body shape and when those people wear junior shirts, it is too snug. Even if you have lost 50 pounds, get clothes that flatter that loss, not point out that you have 20 more to go (using my weight for example, only coincidence if it is yours).

Only other thought...if you live in a small town, they may not be up to date on the current dress fad...if that is the case, there is nothing that you can do but be yourself. Don't try to fit in with the crowd, do what makes you feel better! You've worked for it! :)
  • jamiefire7
    jamiefire7 Posts: 50
    Options
    Kohl's has really cute clothes. I think that Old Navy has very cute age appropriate clothes. Lane Bryant is a GREAT store! They may be a little expensive but their clothes are good quality and very stylish. Good Luck!!
  • cmg4721
    cmg4721 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    In jeans, i usually buy Old Navy's Sweetheart cut jeans....they are a little curvier and have a little stretch to them. they have always been a bit big in the waist no matter what size i am, so i have become comfortable taking out a needle and some thread and making 2 little darts in the back (takes around 10 mins for me now, i just do the top waist part), so all my jeans fit, can't see anything when i squat down, and i don't need a belt :) hope this helps :)
  • jrhstarlight
    jrhstarlight Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone these are some great suggestions :) Im not stuck on sizes or brands so I can be flexible in that department. But I normally agree that Old Navy pants usually fit me the best and even though low rise jeans sound great I have learned mid rise is more for me. Plus if I can lose either a few more inches or pounds I can easily get into a misses 12 currently a little bit snug still. I will check some of these stores out.
  • artemis222
    artemis222 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    This is more my thoughts on your mother wanting you to dress differently.

It's not about where you shop really as it is how you wear it. Can you make a certain junior piece work into a more adult look? Of course you can! Mix and match, love, mix and match. Also, take a weekend and travel to a larger city (if you're in a small one). You'll have tons more options, and you can make a fun little vaca out of it :)
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    my wife is 4'11" and 110lbs, so she also shops mostly in the juniors section because that is what fits her.

I personally like her in teh mini skirts and nice tops, she will say to me, well that is not how a 40 year old women should dress!

My reply is... Well are you dressing for yourself? are you dresing to make yourself attractive to me? If I say you look good in something, shouldn't that tell you that I find you very attractive in that outfit and that it "perks" my interest (we been together for 21 years) Or you going by what other women think or say on talk radio/tv, women that obiviously can't "pull off" the look or fit into this skirts?

My statement is, if you like it, look good in it (especially to your spouse) then you should wear it, screw everyone else.

Now that being said, she dresses professional for work, I am talking about when we go out for a night out or a weekend, obviously we are not talking work clothes.

I liek it when my wife looks sexy and when she looks hot out and about after all I am the one who goes to bed with her, who cares about anyone elses opinion.