Church Picnic - Dish to Share Ideas?

cessnaholly
cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
edited September 28 in Recipes
I am going to my first church picnic at my new church and need to bring a dish to share - what is easy with few/inexpensive ingredients that will keep through church and an afternoon?

Replies

• sharidiane
    sharidiane Posts: 212 Member
    You can make a pasta salad, but with about 1/2 of the usual pasta. Also, make the italian dressing with 1/2 the oil - you won't even notice it's not there. Then pump it up with garbanzo and kidney beans, cucumber, grape tomatoes, olives, and blanched broccoli, carrots, green beans and cauliflower.

Omg I just made myself hungry.
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Grape salad! Here's the recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Green-Grape-Salad/Detail.aspx

I substitute the fat free versions of everything and use splenda or equal instead of sugar, and I skip the brown sugar altogether. It's delicious and no-one knows it's a "diet" recipe!
  • ckncj
    ckncj Posts: 183 Member
    Do a make-shift caprese salad. Tomatoes and mozzarella cheese - with a basil vinaigrette dressing. Very simple and basic - yet you can easily add to it: cucumbers, black olives, orzo, etc...

Good luck!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,953 Member
    My "Oh no! I have no money and need to bring something" dish has always been sugar cookies because I always have the stuff on hand to make them. You could also do biscuits or rolls and bring a thing of butter. Fruit salad, tossed green salad with dressing on the side, cupcakes, crackers and cheese, veggie or fruit tray (you make it otherwise they're expensive). I live over 40 minutes from chuch so if I want to bring a hot dish I usually do something in the crockpot and just plug it in on low throughout the service. Otherwise I bring a dessert like the aforementioned cookies or cupcakes.
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Alrighty - I haven't had dinner yet and all these sound delicious. Thanks for the ideas.
  • Opusarlo
    Opusarlo Posts: 53
    diet Rumaki - AWESOME!!!

Low sodium, low fat turkey bacon
    Liver
    water chestnuts

slice liver into cubes and skewer with toothpick, also put a slice of water chestnut on there. Wrap with bacon and stick in oven for 15-20 mins on 350. Divine and unique.
  • Bump :smile:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Potato salad with a vinegrette dressing. Use bottled dressing or make your own but stay away from mayo which will spoil. Just add the startch and plenty of veggies of your choice, toss and go.
This discussion has been closed.