Menu help!

Options
I need some help! What's the best things to buy meal wise? I have no idea where to even begin when it comes to healthy eating but I do know I have to make some major changes in my life. Not just for me, but for my daughters as well!

Replies

• Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    The way I started was replacing my lunch at work (typically eating out) with a pre-packaged salad (controlled dressing amount) and a lean protein (chicken typically) since this helped eliminate putting extra "crap" on my salad to make it unhealthy is helped alot. I dont know how/what you cook now but focus on using minimal cooking oil/butter, grilling and baking are easy and reduce the amount of fat you need for flavor. Play with spices and seasoning to "jazz up" chicken pork even red meat in many different ways. We are a primarily gluten free household so we rarely have pastas or rices unless we are having something with gravy intended to go over it. Steaming fresh green beans or snap peas take a matter of min, a little bit of butter then salt and pepper to taste (my 2 year old even eats them) We also make a point of having salad with dinner pretty much every night
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Check out www.eatingwell.com, they've got great recipes and nutritional info for each.
  • ottawablake
    ottawablake Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    some simple tips that will make a world of difference, if it has been processed, dont buy it. Healthy food costs more, so increase your food budget. And finally , the only fluid your body needs is water, milk, sugar filled juice and pop are not good for your. Mild has casein and causes you to gain weight, there is more calcium in brocolli, any natural fruit juice is still loaded with sugar, and pop well, a can of soda has 7 table spoons of sugar.
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the center aisles at the grocery store. Buy fresh or frozen fruits and veggies. Buy whole grains. Brown Rice, Quinoa, Millet and the like are WONDERFUL whole grains that also contain protein. Buy lean meats. Stay away from salt-cured meats like sausage, bacon, and ham... only in moderation. Last but not least... READ LABELS before you buy and KNOW what you're putting in your body.
  • indpls2002
    indpls2002 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Right now I cook what is easy and I am very bad at eating out! I have a crazy job with long hours and when I get home I'm tired. I am horrible at buying the stuff that can be cooked fast, and I know that can't be good.

So, staples for meals would be what? Chicken? Veggies? Rice?

If it's not from McD's, I'm lost :(
  • tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    We started by finding "swaps". Whole wheat pasta for the regular white. Flat breads and pitas for regular bread. Switched regular sausage and ground beef for ground turkey and chicken sausages. Fresh fruit on hand to snack on is great for the kids and for you.

Two of my favorite things so far are laughing cow cheese and skinny cow ice cream!
  • indpls2002
    indpls2002 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thank you . I saved a copy and will def be using it :)
  • edg_15
    edg_15 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hey! Thanks for that post! I'm always looking for grab and go food ideas. That site, eatingwell.com, has some great ideas!