Knee pain on the Couch to 5k program

Options
Some background - I've been doing the couch to 5k program with my husband for a little over 3 weeks. The first week I couldn't even get through all eight 60 second runs. The second week I was able to get through the running portions but still was having trouble breathing and my heart rate was really high (I was hitting around 185-190 on the running portions). Third week I can tell I have improved since my breathing is easier and my heart rate doesn't climb as high as before although my legs are still really fatigued at the end of each set.

Whats started happening this past week is knee pain. It's mostly in my left leg but also a little in my right. On the inside and just below the knee. I try to make sure I am warming up and cooling down properly as well as stretching and drinking lots of water, along with a better diet. I am 5'7" and 238 lbs, am I just too fat to start a running program? Is the knee pain normal and with time will get better as my legs gain some strength? I don't have the greatest shoes, just some scetchers so maybe I need to invest in a pair of more supportive shoes but I don't want to spend the money on new shoes if I have to stop running due to the pain. I just find it odd that knee pain would start happening on the third week in but i've never been a runner in the past so I don't know what to expect.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Replies

• guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I'm on week two with no problems so far. I tried back in August of last year, and was crippled by knee pain for nearly two weeks. Now, however, I have been doing brisk walking for the last 4 months and have lost 20 pounds. Hopefully I'll be okay. If your knees hurt, stick to walking briskly. Have you checked with your doctor?
  • 1horsetown
    1horsetown Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    What about your shoes? Do you have really good shoes? Have you been fitted by a pro?

If you haven't.......DO THIS TOMORROW!!

A running specialty store that offers gait analysis is what you need. Not Scheels or Sports Authority.

And, some people need to take the c25k thing slower. You should take double the time at each level before moving up.

You ain't in a race yet. You need to develop the muscles at this point.

Just my opinion.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I'd be willing to bet it's the shoes. I bought a new pair of shoes to start C25K and my feet and legs hurt for a few days as I got used to proper support (my old shoes were 3 years old!) but now they're just fine. I got a pair of Asics off the shelf but for my next pair I'm going to a running store and have them look at my stride and custom fit me.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I had that happen for a while and for me new running shoes made all of the difference in the world. I started running again weighing close to 245 and I am 5'4". Getting good running shoes really is the best way to prevent injury while running. I know that they can be pricey, but it is worth it. Also you may want to just spend a few days walking and not running to see if that helps your knee.
  • biged335
    biged335 Posts: 734
    Options
    It sounds like you've irritated your MCL. Is there swelling? You need to ice it at least twice a day for no longer then 20 mins. That should help. You also need to get better shoes.

I hate to say this, but it will most likely continue to hurt as long as your running. You need to do lower impact exercise until it heals or else you could damage it worse.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Ugh, knees...I was running again after years away from running and my knees (and other parts) were hurting but as I got close to my first 5K, my left knee was really hurting when I was trying to add some sprinting intervals. I took the next few days off running and ran my race anyway and have been paying for it for the past 3 weeks. Still hurts to walk. I finally went to the dr and he called it a training injury from doing too much too fast. Thankfully I didn't tear anything but have irritation/inflammation between my patella and my femur. All that to say, listen to your body and don't over-do it to start b/c you may have to stop doing cardio for a few weeks. I am looking forward to running again, hopefully within a couple of months, but the dr said to take it slow. I should add it was/is the inside and outside of my knee and everyone kept saying I must have torn my meniscus or acl, but it was just a gradually worsening thing so I iced it and took ibuprofin and backed off. I hate the bike but am doing that and some other low impact things for now.
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    You haven't built up your knee support strength. There are four main muscle groups that support your knees. You must take the time to strengthen them. Your knees are saying you're moving too fast for them and they aren't building up enough muscles to support the knee so you wind up with knee pain. There are lots of videos on the net on how to do strength training. Take the time to look them up and start working them in. Slow down on the c25k while you build it up, it's worth it.
  • shonasteele
    shonasteele Posts: 473
    Options
    I joined a running class a couple of months ago but couldn't keep at it because of my knees. I'm doing a 60 km walk for charity this summer and couldn't risk doing any more damage so I just quit running and am sticking with walking, although my knees are still definitely more tender than they used to be. Might try again after the walk (and another 10 pounds) but I'm curious what people have to say...
  • murphysraven
    Options
    Thanks for the replies all. I think the next step is to invest in some better shoes and see if that helps. I already walk 45-60 min a day but I don't want to give up this running program quite yet.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I vote shoes...when I first started running I had TERRIBLE shoes and didn't even know it. I went to my local running store, had him do a gait analysis and fit me to the right shoe for me, and within just a few shorts days, all my knee pain was gone!
  • ccckwalk
    ccckwalk Posts: 262
    Options
    you could be overstriding. You could look up runners knee and that gives you a good explaination of what the pain feels like. There are a lot of good websites about how to run properly. Yes, if you are running you should have some good running shoes. You don't have to spend a ton of money to get a good pair. There is a little amount of pain involved in running in the beginning. Sometimes you just have to push through the pain. Unless it is "real bad pain" that doesn't go away*** remember if you are worried about it talk with your doctor! *** If it subsides after you are finished with your run it may be a grin and bear it kind of pain.
  • FruitLoop05317
    Options
    Some background - I've been doing the couch to 5k program with my husband for a little over 3 weeks. The first week I couldn't even get through all eight 60 second runs. The second week I was able to get through the running portions but still was having trouble breathing and my heart rate was really high (I was hitting around 185-190 on the running portions). Third week I can tell I have improved since my breathing is easier and my heart rate doesn't climb as high as before although my legs are still really fatigued at the end of each set.

Whats started happening this past week is knee pain. It's mostly in my left leg but also a little in my right. On the inside and just below the knee. I try to make sure I am warming up and cooling down properly as well as stretching and drinking lots of water, along with a better diet. I am 5'7" and 238 lbs, am I just too fat to start a running program? Is the knee pain normal and with time will get better as my legs gain some strength? I don't have the greatest shoes, just some scetchers so maybe I need to invest in a pair of more supportive shoes but I don't want to spend the money on new shoes if I have to stop running due to the pain. I just find it odd that knee pain would start happening on the third week in but i've never been a runner in the past so I don't know what to expect.

Any ideas/suggestions?

first of all you are not to fat to run!!! i am 5'3" and 266 and i am jogging right now and it feels pretty good...you will get there dont get discouraged!!!
  • kchris41
    kchris41 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Were you walking regularly before? If not, I'd back up and walk until the knee pain stopped. Also, do exercises that build your thigh muscles. I stand on a step facing the higher step, and slowly lower my other foot down to the lower step, touch and then back up. Do five repeats of that and switch legs. I do that 3 or 4 times on each leg. Also, lay on your back on a bed with just your foot hanging off. Put a walmart bag with a can of veggies in it and hang it on your ankle. Keep your leg straight and raise and lower your leg. I'm doing 5 then switching legs. I'm doing 3 or four repeats of that. Hope that helps. I had to slow way down and do some weeks multiplel times. But that's OK. Slow progress gets you there too!
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I had the EXACT same problem last year when I was 5'7 and 225 lbs. I ended up quitting and waiting until I had lost weight and gotten stronger and now its going great! (Almost exactly a year later and I'm running my first half marathon this weekend!)

BUT if you don't want to quit a couple of things that will help you:

-stretch a TON. Walk for a bit first to warm up your muscles and then stretch, stretch, stretch! Every time! No skipping! Focus on your hamstrings. Also stretch after runs.
    -Ice your knee after runs
    -on non-running days add strength training to build supportive muscles. Squats and lunges are great, wall sits are even better. Band walks are by far the best (google it!) If you have a gym membership find machines that will work your hamstrings and butt.
    -DON'T RUN WITH KNEE PAIN! It will get worse, not better. Rest your knees if they're seriously hurting. Uncomfortable? Run. Hurting? DON'T RUN!

Good luck!
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Too much, too fast. I repeated every single week at least once, week 5 happened for a month! In fact, I'm still walking some (asthma). Go slower, it really does make a HUGE difference!

And the shoes of course :smile:
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add that I have been following this one twice a day and I went from starting to feel sore in the knees at 3 miles to not feeling it until 7. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dir6JAuPj_0
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I concur with the postings about getting custom insoles and good shoes. I went to RoadRunnerSports.com, bought a VIP membership ($1.99) and had custom insoles done. The difference between my old sneakers and the new running shoes was night and day.

Running shoes can make a difference but, as you acknowledge, it might not be time for you to start running yet. Your 238 pounds is putting a huge amount of strain on, well, everything so perhaps you might want to shelve running and look for something that's less demanding on your body.

There's no shame in that. I'm 6' 1" and weighted 294.5 when I started. There's no way I could have run even with a history of playing basketball and soccer in college and having been a runner during my 8 year in the Army (as recently as 1989).

My first attempt at running was when I hit 230 and it freaked me out 'cause I could feel things jiggling that I'd never felt when I ran before! :-)

Starting in December, I've used an elliptical - you can exercise many of the same muscles and you can increase your cardio but there's minimal impact. You will still stress your knees and build up the muscles that are needed to reduce the chances of injuring your knees, but you're doing it gradually and without the tremendous impact that being overweight puts on our bodies.

Kudos for wanting to get up off your tush but "Patience, grasshopper! Patience!"
  • Samerah12
    Samerah12 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Oh, and obviously shoes!! Go to an actual running store, not just a foot locker type. Don't be intimidated!
  • murphysraven
    Options
    I just wanted to add that I have been following this one twice a day and I went from starting to feel sore in the knees at 3 miles to not feeling it until 7. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dir6JAuPj_0

great link thanks!
  • FatUncleRob
    FatUncleRob Posts: 341
    Options
    I don't have the greatest shoes, just some scetchers so maybe I need to invest in a pair of more supportive shoes but I don't want to spend the money on new shoes if I have to stop running due to the pain.

I'm sorry, but I think it's the shoes... maybe you just started running enough that the impact is now starting to hurt your knees.

I'd certainly think about getting some proper running shoes.

I'm 6'2" and was about 260 when I started trying to jog - felt a lot of pain in my knees. Went and got fitted for a pair of proper running shoes (which cost me about $100) and immediately felt the benefit.

Another option is to just stick with walking for a while. I spent about 6 weeks building up the length and speed of my walks before I tried C25K. I'm on week 6 now and I can run (about 6 mph) for half an hour.

Good luck! :smile: