Always at max target heart rate

Options
jaded1
jaded1 Posts: 14 Member
Hi everyone.

I have a resting heart rate of 60 bpm and I'm 20 years old.

When I work out my heart rate hovers around 180 bpm and occasionally around 200 bpm. I never feel dizzy or anything. But I'm wondering if I'm working out too hard.

If you think yes, please share some ideas to burn more calories at a lesser intensity.

Thank you.

Replies

• MMAsac
    MMAsac Posts: 191
    Options
    If your trying to burn fat, then your working out WAY to hard. for you to be in the fat burning zone you should be at like 135-160 max.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I'd say the 200 is probably a malfunction on the HR monitor. 180 is ok if you are not getting light headed or sick. I've got a few years on your (25) and I've hit the low 172's without a problem. Your body will let you know if you're working out to hard. My resting HR has been as low as 43. 60 is good but you can do better. 90% or your max HR and above is anerobic and you'll get good gains there. You're doing great. 20, I remember those days.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Fat burning zone is a myth... Just saying. Anyways, when I first started working out my heart rate was just as high because I was out of shape, but slowly my heart rate is dropping lower and lower doing the same activities. Just listen to your body. Don't push yourself to the point you feel like you're going to pass out, and make sure you get plenty of rest as well as taking days off. Some people will say that you are more prone to injury when you work out at that capacity, which is true, but if you listen to your body you should be fine, in my opinion. Burning the same amount of calories doing lower intensity workouts just means you will have to workout longer. Good luck!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Letting your heart rate jump that high and remain that high during workouts is actually causing your body to eat muscle instead of fat. You should do workouts that cause you to change your heart rate in intervals: first remaining around 150-170 bpm and then jumping to 160-180 bpm. You should NEVER let it get above 180 and this all can be controlled during your workout.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i'm not an expert, but my max hr is about 170-180 when i'm really tanking it. when i'm running i stay at around 165, which my hrm says is about my max.
    but i have no idea if it's problematic for your hr to go so high. i guess as long as you feel ok just keep going- if you didn't have a hrm you wouldn't be any wiser would you?
  • mgriffin51
    mgriffin51 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    There is nothing medically wrong with working out with that high of a heart rate, it is just more of a cardio workout than a burn fat calorie workout. Working out with a higher heart rate still burns a lot of calories so you should still see progress on our weight loss.
  • dannicmia
    dannicmia Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm similar...my resting HR is usually between 55-65, and whenever I do a serious workout, it's between 170-190. The "fat burning zone" being at a lower HR is BS. You will lose more weight and burn more calories if you work out at a higher intensity, and you'll have the added benefit of increasing your cardiovascular fitness! So if you can sustain workouts that are that intense and aren't getting injuries, fatigue, etc., then more power to you!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    I don't know a lot about this, but your question pushed me to do some research and I found this interesting article.

http://exercise.about.com/cs/cardioworkouts/l/aa022601a.htm
  • Kichelchen
    Kichelchen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hey, it's the same for me (except that I do get dizzy once it gets over 190), but that way you're building up fitness, so don't worry (unless you go way over 200, then you should slow down a bit). The higher your heart frequency, the more calories you burn. If you want to burn fat or build up muscle you should be around 130. A healthy mixture of both is best obviously. Because we're young, our heart rate is higher anyway. And once again, don't worry, if you feel fine, you are fine :) x
  • lifeinpink09
    lifeinpink09 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    When I push myself extra hard I can can my heart rate up to 215 and hold it for a minute and then bring it down and then keep pushing in bursts...is that alright?
  • jaded1
    Options
    Wow. Thank you for your feedback and links.

I think I'll tone it done a little, until I can meet with my doctor and dietician. Maybe I can aim for 170-180 and just workout longer. I'm worried that I'm burning up muscle now.

I'll continue reading additional comments. :)
  • KittyCathy
    KittyCathy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    well from past experience, i tryed that fat burning zone crap and didnt lose much weight. I then started working out harder and getting my heart rate up to cardio level and saw a huge increase in weight loss. I personally think its all a myth because it didnt work for me : ]
  • laddyboy
    Options
    When I push myself extra hard I can can my heart rate up to 215 and hold it for a minute and then bring it down and then keep pushing in bursts...is that alright?

I would say NO. Max HR is 220 - your age. I'm no doctor but 215 (if your HR monitor is correct and / or working properly) seems way to high.
  • laddyboy
    Options

I think I'll tone it done a little, until I can meet with my doctor and dietician. Maybe I can aim for 170-180 and just workout longer. I'm worried that I'm burning up muscle now.

If you're worried about burning muscle then don't do cardio over 30 minutes cuz then you'll start tapping into muscle.
  • lifeinpink09
    lifeinpink09 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

I would say NO. Max HR is 220 - your age. I'm no doctor but 215 (if your HR monitor is correct and / or working properly) seems way to high.

Yeah I'm 19 so I suppose i need to bring it down...but I burn SOOOOO many calories keeping it high like that.
  • jaded1
    Options

If you're worried about burning muscle then don't do cardio over 30 minutes cuz then you'll start tapping into muscle.

T.T I want muscles and as little fat as possible. What should I do?