Meal Replacement Bars

Options
Some of them seem like expensive candy bars with not much nutritional value........I'm curious as to what folks think about these....If you eat them, what is your favorite brand/flavor? Do you use them as supplements, or actually as meals? What do you look for when choosing one? Other thoughts?

Thanks for sharing.

Replies

• dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I use south beach diet bars.....they have a lot of protein in them, which keeps you feleing full longer, and they have only 15 carbvs/ I like the chocolate, smores or dark chocolate with mixed berries.....haven't tried the peanut butter ones yet. And they are relatively cheap. which is nice!
  • lorenwade
    lorenwade Posts: 7
    Options
    I am not sure about "Meal Replacement" bars per se... but I know I personally enjoy Clif bars in the morning. They're health bar made of all awesome ingredients. Haha. It usually holds me for 2-3 hours before I eat again (usually lunch time). They run about 240-250 calories and my favorite is the White Chocolate Macadamia.

Hope that helps! :)
  • PaulaDDN
    PaulaDDN Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Sometimes i use the Atkins bars as a snack, i try to chose the ones under 150 cal, they keep me on track and satisfy my sweet tooth without all the sugar. They work for me :)
  • Brownski860
    Brownski860 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    i'll eat half of a power bar for my mid morning snack. it seems to hold me over nicely until lunch
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I hate them. I'd much rather eat real food. HOWEVER, there are days when I am not that hungry, so I'll grab a Luna bar.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I use Pure Protein bars as a snack sometimes. You want to make sure you get ones with a good amount of protein in them. The Pure Protein bars have between 17-20 grams of protein. It really helps keep you fuller longer!
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I will occasionally do a Clif Bar (prefer the Peanut Butter one) on the way to the gym if I am feeling like I might need a little something in my stomach.

Never have used them as a meal replacement thought.
  • CountryGrrrrl
    Options
    I like the Advocare bars, or Pure Protein. I don't do them as a meal replacement, but usually as a boost right after a tough workout, or as a "filler" between meals!
  • Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    Options
    No I don't use them as a meal replacement. I generally avoid them because they are step up from candy and are packed full of too much sugar to be a good eats on a daily. For post workout recovery I would rather have a protein shake and fruit. What they are good for is if you need a snack between meals on the go and there is nothing else quick and easy to grab. Aside from that I would rather eat real food.

I think Cliff and Balance bars taste the best.
  • hillview2
    hillview2 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Lara bars have the best ingredients IMO. I keep them in my purse -- I don't usually PLAN to have them as a replacement BUT sometimes it happens and I am prepared!
  • torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Options
    I use south beach diet bars.....they have a lot of protein in them, which keeps you feleing full longer, and they have only 15 carbvs/ I like the chocolate, smores or dark chocolate with mixed berries.....haven't tried the peanut butter ones yet. And they are relatively cheap. which is nice!

I love the South Beach Protein Fit Bars for snacks, but they've been discontinued.
    However........Nabisco snackwell's bars are the identical thing and although I've only located two flavors so far, at least I don't have to go into withdrawal for my morning snack.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

I love the South Beach Protein Fit Bars for snacks, but they've been discontinued.
    However........Nabisco snackwell's bars are the identical thing and although I've only located two flavors so far, at least I don't have to go into withdrawal for my morning snack.

oh emmmm geeeee! I'm soooo depressed! thanks for the tip though about the other kind! So i wonder if these ones that i'm eating are expired? lol
  • MrsFarrow
    MrsFarrow Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I use Extend bars, they're made to keep your blood sugar stable which is awesome for me. I also like the MetRX protein bars. I use them as snacks, or eat hem along with a healthy breakfast. Just depends!
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    To replace an entire meal by itself it would really need 300-400 calories per bar. I don't think I've seen any with that much so maybe eating a bar with something else could replace a whole meal? Just don't eat it with tuna :sick:
  • lindsay6694
    lindsay6694 Posts: 182
    Options
    i found these Kind bars in the organic section of the grocery store. theyre all natural with none of the added stuff meal replacement bars tend to have. i just eat them as a snack even though theyre 210 calories. but they only have 5sugars all from honey and about 7grams of protein. the nut delight one is sooooooo yummy!!!
  • nh2576
    nh2576 Posts: 69
    Options
    I keep special k meal replacement protei bars in my desk and have one with a cup of coffee in the morning. They taste ok, but the texture isn't the best...some are kind of gritty. But they do keep me full and also keep the sweet tooth at bay. The other good thing - they are less than 200 cals so easy on the calorie budget.
  • mabug01
    mabug01 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    I like to use the bars as a meal replacement, along with a piece of fruit, when I go on a long hike I'm glad to have something that is filling but doesn't weigh me down.
  • thenewsara
    Options
    Depending on what you would like to get out of eating a food bar, some are very much like candy bars. Oh' Yeahs offer high protein and low carb, Greens Plus is a Raw food bar that contains a variety of healthy greens and chocolate that will give you a great source of energy. Unfortunately it is high in calorie. GNU bars are a great source of fiber and low in sugar compared to the cereal bars out there and they also taste great! Ideally, you would want to go with a bar that is cold pressed and offers raw ingredients to truly benefit, but in a pinch, go with high protein and lower carb if at all possible.
  • mendogirl
    mendogirl Posts: 87
    Options
    luna bars! they are so yummy and have lots of nutrients packed in there. i believe they are aimed towards women's health:)
  • newbeautifulme
    Options
    I love protein bars, maybe too much :)

I like Pure Protein bars in 50 grams, EAS Carb Smart Bars, Premier Nutrition bars from Costco and Zone bars.