exercise stopped my weight loss

Options
I was one pound from my 1st goal and started water aerobics. I went up about 3 lbs in the 1st week of exercise (5 mornings and 3 nights for 1 hour each session). I have gone down 2 lbs but am now 1 pound more then when I started exercising. I am eating the same as before I started exercising.

This is discouraging exercise should help you lose weight. :sad:

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    They say muscle weighs more than fat so you may be gaining muscle. I would start measuring myself if I were you and don't worry about the scale until you have been doing it for a while.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,116 Member
    Options
    They say muscle weighs more than fat so you may be gaining muscle. I would start measuring myself if I were you and don't worry about the scale until you have been doing it for a while.

This is ridiculous.

She didn't gain one pound of muscle in a week of water aerobics.
  • alifer
    alifer Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    How about an exercise that is not in the water. While swimming and water aerobics are excellent exercises that burn a lot of calories, not sure how good they are for weight loss due to the fact that your body wants some insulation to keep you warm in the water. They are great for toning and overall fitness, but not necessarily weight loss.
  • tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Not possible to gain muscle that fast---scientifically wrong, unfortunately. I just talked to a trainer the other day about this and she said that if you are doing something you normally don't do or working certain muscles more than others----they can be swollen and retain water. She said to give it more time and it will come off plus more! I listened to her advice and I've indeed lost 2.4 lbs this week when I had gained 5 in a month when I started working out! Don't get discouraged! Are you eating your exercise calories?
  • Amandanoralynn
    Amandanoralynn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    My weight always goes up when I really get to exercising. I even see now where I am walking more and more, my leg and hip measurements are higher. Great job on doing swim aerobics. It is a great muscle builder. Keep up the good work and notice the changes and don't let the scale rule you.
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I was one pound from my 1st goal and started water aerobics. I went up about 3 lbs in the 1st week of exercise (5 mornings and 3 nights for 1 hour each session). I have gone down 2 lbs but am now 1 pound more then when I started exercising. I am eating the same as before I started exercising.

This is discouraging exercise should help you lose weight. :sad:

If you are eating "the same" as you were before you started exercising that is the problem. If you NET CALORIES are falling far below 1000 calories per day you aren't eating enough ... try eating some of your exercise calories back.

p.s ... muscle doesn't way more then fat, if it did I wouldn't be at goal weight I would be MUCH heavier ;)
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Not possible to gain muscle that fast---scientifically wrong, unfortunately. I just talked to a trainer the other day about this and she said that if you are doing something you normally don't do or working certain muscles more than others----they can be swollen and retain water. She said to give it more time and it will come off plus more! I listened to her advice and I've indeed lost 2.4 lbs this week when I had gained 5 in a month when I started working out! Don't get discouraged! Are you eating your exercise calories?

This! Your muscles are retaining water. You did not gain weight. Trust me, you'll be happy you started exercising in the end :) A set back of a few weeks (and only on the scale, your clothes or measuring tape won't tell a difference), for a lifelong reward!
  • Just_Bethy
    Just_Bethy Posts: 272
    Options
    Weight goes up and down...I wouldn't worry about it..I can gain 4lb walking across the kitchen some days!!...If you love this water aerobics..(I do it and love it)..then don't quit..finding a workout you really enjoy is so beneficial!!! The weight will come back off!!! Try weighing once a week if you are weighing every day...I swear weight DOES fluctuate for o reason by 3 or 4 lbs!!! ..It WILL come back off!!!
  • K1Teacher
    K1Teacher Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I just talked to a trainer the other day about this and she said that if you are doing something you normally don't do or working certain muscles more than others----they can be swollen and retain water. She said to give it more time and it will come off plus more!

This has been very true for me. When I switch up my exercise (which I do monthly) I stop losing for 1-2 weeks and then BAM! it starts melting off. Keep going and eat healthy and you WILL see results! Good luck!
  • Cynthiafaron
    Cynthiafaron Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    listen to Karen --- add some calories so your body does not go into starvation mode :)
  • oravavaara
    oravavaara Posts: 29
    Options

I second that. A liter of water weighs close to 2 pounds, which isn't actually that much when you think that the "average" human body is made up of around 35 liters of water. Try to weigh yourself at the same time- in the morning before breakfast is my favorite because I weigh the least then. I weigh myself way too often out of curiosity, and I find I can fluctuate several pounds in the course of a day. My morning weight often varies by 2 pounds from day to day. Some people say weighing yourself this often makes you unhealthily obsessed with your weight, but for me it just reminds me how fickle the human body is.

It helps me to focus on goals that are within my control- exercising, eating healthy, and being happy with myself. I've found a type of exercise I genuinely enjoy, and found foods that I like eating and that make me feel good. Doing that is a reward in itself! By sticking with those practices, I eventually lose weight. It's really frustrating when I don't lose weight, but when I'm down I try to remind myself that it's just as much about the journey.

Stick with it- you're on the right path!
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Stick with the workouts! Your muscle are just getting used to being used properly and are holding onto some water. Anytime I change things up this happens to me. You will look and feel so much better if you are adding fitness with your weightloss! I know how frustrating it is to have the scale mess with you but you know you are doing right by your body. Maybe eat back those calories you are burning if you weren't and the scale will catch up and you will look better too!
  • dawning
    dawning Posts: 32
    Options
    Thank you for the information and support! I'll just keep exercising it can only do me good.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    This article will explain what is likely happening. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/200544-why-do-you-sometimes-gain-weight-when-starting-a-new-exercis

Keep exercising, and the weight will disappear. It is all water retention.