My first 5k race

Options
My first race is this weekend and i am kinda nervous .. . . . what should I expect... anyopne have any advise? :smile:

Replies

• TheBull50
    Options
    My first race is this weekend and i am kinda nervous .. . . . what should I expect... anyopne have any advise? :smile:
  • dujennifer
    dujennifer Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Just be proud you are doing it and don't worry about results! I haven't even gotten the courage to register for one yet. Getting out there is the biggest feat of all!!!
  • TexasAngelBeth
    TexasAngelBeth Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Run your own pace... I learned that the hard way during my first half marathon... had a great 5 mile time but tapered out... If you have been practicing and I am sure you have... run a pace your comfortable at and if your up to it ramp it up just a tiny bit more. You can do it... so just concentrate on finishing the race. :happy:
  • carvan
    carvan Posts: 377 Member
    Options

Keep to the back of the starting line, there are some really ambitions people in these races, they are going for time. Definitely go at your own pace, don't be afraid to walk if you need it. And finish upright and smiling proudly. It's a great feeling to finish a race, no matter what your time. ENJOY!
  • maggie2020
    Options
    Hi there, :smile:

in the past I have jogged 3 miles every other day so 5 k is little over 3 miles I think, what can you expect depends on where you are currently at physically & mentally, but the first time I run the whole 3 miles was very challenging. & I didn't think I would make it. I did use a watch to monitor how fast I was going the first mile. While running if you havent' hit that "runner zone or high") then you my feel like quitting but if have a strategy before you get to this point, whether it is slowing down (but not walking) the pace of the run or/and start singing to yourself,, I used to sing the song "Bottles of bear on the wall" like military cadence... this always help me to keep going, get my mind off of quitting but once you get to the running zone then you should feel ok to the end.. also breathing is very important. I read somewhere if you take a couple of deep breaths while running, you can get some energy to the body & brain. Most important listen to your body.... :noway:

Good luck when you are done, this will feel like a great accomplishment...hope this helps
    Maggie
  • TheBull50
    Options
    I just wanted to say thank you to all for the advise. I am excited to run. Call me geeky, but i am most excited to get the race over and to have a picture with the number pinned on me :laugh: All your advise has been helpful
  • missida
    Options
    If it's your first race I agree stay to the back of the line and towards the sides. The middle of the pack ends up going out fast and you get caught in the mob's pace instead of your own. It's important just to finish. Have fun!:drinker: