eating clean

Options
2»

Replies

• milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    eating clean really isn't that expensive- and really it isn't recipes because you pretty much eat everything PLAIN! haha the first few days/week is hard, but you will seriously just FEEL so much better. Some people might try to do more recipe stuff, but I really don't have the time/drive to think of different recipes to eat. A lot of the foods I eat are brown rice, eggs, chicken, lean ground turkey, oats, sweet potato,protein shakes,apples and grean beans. My poor kids are going to love going to other peoples houses because I make the same thing every day haha, well good luck :)

How do you prepare your sweet potatoes? I'm looking for a good way to make sweet potato fries.

I preheat the oven 450, lighty spritz the potato with a bit of olive oil and a tiny bit of cayenne. back until crisp. If you have a rack to put on the cookie sheet I find they get crisper. For an added bit of flavor make a dip with greek yogurt and cayenne.

Enjoy!
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    go for frozen vegetables if fresh is pricier depending on what's in season... so buy seasonally if at all possible. also... eggs are a cheap and efficient source of fat and protein. try a ton of different vegetables. i fell in love with brussels sprouts for some reason... maybe they'll appeal to you too!

also, use real ingredients with minimal sub-ingredients. for instance: butter wins over margarine. why? because butter has vitamins A, E, D and K, and it contains other healthy things, and saturated fat does NOT mean it will clog your arteries (saturated is a term for chemical bonds involved in the makeup of the lipid). margarine is highly processed, and oils such as canola aren't exactly natural or clean. i know the word natural gets thrown around a lot... but i mean to say that oil from vegetables has to be chemically extracted and, as i mentioned, processed. butter... doesn't. okay i'm done! :)
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    most foods are 'processed' in some way..and not all is 'crap'.

there have been studies that have shown there are no health differences between those who eat 'clean' and those who eat processed foods.

ie...journal of nutrition
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options

there have been studies that have shown there are no health differences between those who eat 'clean' and those who eat processed foods.

I agree there are some processed foods, that do have beneficial ingredients. Not all processed food is crap.
  • KatieCuth
    KatieCuth Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    not sure if American supermarkets are the same as Australian supermarkets but if you shop on the walls of the supermarket you will get nice healthy food, vegies and meat .... in the middle is where all the processed food is... just start simple and learn as you go along. Google is your friend lots of nice recipes on the net... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/new/261620-eating-clean#:smile: good luck with your journey...
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options

Reference please?
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    not sure if American supermarkets are the same as Australian supermarkets but if you shop on the walls of the supermarket you will get nice healthy food, vegies and meat .... in the middle is where all the processed food is... just start simple and learn as you go along. Google is your friend lots of nice recipes on the net... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/post/new/261620-eating-clean#:smile: good luck with your journey...

I wrote about this on a post, yeah it's the same thing "don't go down the isles"
  • imfittted
    imfittted Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Michael Pollan has some good books: food rules and in defense of food. Food rules is a super quick read and gives you general ideas of what you should be eating. You should be able to pick them up used on amazon.com for pretty cheap.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    When you cook or bake whole foods at home they become "processed'. You do however need to read labels and educate yourself as to what some of these science project ingredients are.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    eating clean really isn't that expensive- and really it isn't recipes because you pretty much eat everything PLAIN! haha the first few days/week is hard, but you will seriously just FEEL so much better. Some people might try to do more recipe stuff, but I really don't have the time/drive to think of different recipes to eat. A lot of the foods I eat are brown rice, eggs, chicken, lean ground turkey, oats, sweet potato,protein shakes,apples and grean beans. My poor kids are going to love going to other peoples houses because I make the same thing every day haha, well good luck :)

How do you prepare your sweet potatoes? I'm looking for a good way to make sweet potato fries.

I preheat the oven 450, lighty spritz the potato with a bit of olive oil and a tiny bit of cayenne. back until crisp. If you have a rack to put on the cookie sheet I find they get crisper. For an added bit of flavor make a dip with greek yogurt and cayenne.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the tip.