Walking/Running question...

RosieGB33nz
RosieGB33nz Posts: 142
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
Im currently doing C25K and will eventually be a runner (hopefully) but i actually enjoy doing the mix up of power walking and then running, alternating every few minutes... I have heard this is good for weight loss (i think its interval training) could some one please explain it to me. I would be more then happy to do 45 minutes or walk/run if its going to give good results!

Replies

• MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    yes it is called HIIT training... it is fantastic for weight loss.

google it and it will further explain it for you.
  • SoCalSwimmerDude
    SoCalSwimmerDude Posts: 507 Member
    I'm sure there will be lots of different opinions, but my simple theory (being a swimmer all my life where your training is ALL interval based) is that interval training prolongs a workout.... or prolongs the amount of time that your heart rate is up. The longer your heart rate is up, the better endurance you will have and the more fat/calories you will burn.

Think of it like this: If Joe gets off the couch and just starts running, he might make it for 5-10 minutes before being dead and calling it a day. However, if he runs for a minute and walks for a minute, he could probably do that for 20-30 minutes! Likewise, you wouldn't jump in the pool and try to swim a mile if you weren't a very good swimmer. However, if you swim 4 laps and take 30 seconds rest between each set of 4 laps, then there's a good chance you'll get at least 40 or so laps in. As time goes on, you will be able to run/swim faster AND run/swim longer.

Last, if you have a good endurance foundation, then you can stay in the key fat burning stage for a longer period. Ha, and now everyone else will give you lots of different opinions (just as my statements were).
  • Enchantica
    Enchantica Posts: 117
    Im currently doing C25K and will eventually be a runner (hopefully) but i actually enjoy doing the mix up of power walking and then running, alternating every few minutes... I have heard this is good for weight loss (i think its interval training) could some one please explain it to me. I would be more then happy to do 45 minutes or walk/run if its going to give good results!

You've already had some good replies about interval training so I can't add to those - but I just wanted to wish you good luck with your c25k program. You WILL be a runner - no "hopefully" about it. I did it and my good friend Janet did it. See if you can "buddy up" with somebody on here who's at the same level as you so you can encourage each other. That's what I did with Janet - we were both doing the same week together and when one of us was flagging the other encouraged. We're now both doing bridge to 10k - same principle as c25k. You WILL be a runner very soon. Good luck!
    Netty
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Ditto what the TheFranLover said, that it a pretty thorough explanation of why interval training is beneficial.
  • david081
    david081 Posts: 489 Member
    Also worth googling 'fartlek' training - this is how I progressed from walking to running....

Good luck,

David
  • Bentrain
    Bentrain Posts: 41 Member
    Google jeff galloway run / walk. He has gotten tons of people from couch to marathon.
This discussion has been closed.