Questions about calories and exercise! Please Help!

Options
Okay so today i will be 75 cals short of my goal without exercise, should I still exercise? If I exercise I will be 354 cals short. I kinda don't want to eat more because I don't want to take in too much sugar. Can someone please give me some advice. Thank you!!!

Replies

• katieleigh333
    katieleigh333 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Okay so today i will be 75 cals short of my goal without exercise, should I still exercise? If I exercise I will be 354 cals short. I kinda don't want to eat more because I don't want to take in too much sugar. Can someone please give me some advice. Thank you!!!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    You don't have to exercise if you don't want to. It doesn't make any difference in fat loss whether you exercise or not as long as you're in a deficit.

What kind of sugar are you taking in? Table sugar? Milk sugar? Fruit sugar? They're not the same thing, and although MFP doesn't distinguish that in your nutritional needs, you don't need to avoid sugars from milk/fruit/whole grains like you need to avoid table sugar.
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    songbyrdsweet has it right.

Besides, I know of plenty of lean meats and things that involve little to no sugar......
  • piperelliott
    Options
    Yep, from a "calorie-only" perspective that's all correct. However, there's still value in exercising beyond just the caloric deficit. If you can, it's a good habit to make exercise as regular as possible in your life. Not only does it burn the calories, but it stimulates matabolism, makes you stronger, improves your cardio health, muscle-tone etc. Those are all good things even though they don't necessarily contribute to losing weight. Exercise also makes you feel like you've taken ACTION to get where you want to go. Simple avoidance of calories is a passive thing, and for some people that can be harder to consistently maintain than when they're committing to action.

Just something to ponder. Every human is wired differently. Good luck!!!
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Yep, from a "calorie-only" perspective that's all correct. However, there's still value in exercising beyond just the caloric deficit. If you can, it's a good habit to make exercise as regular as possible in your life. Not only does it burn the calories, but it stimulates matabolism, makes you stronger, improves your cardio health, muscle-tone etc. Those are all good things even though they don't necessarily contribute to losing weight. Exercise also makes you feel like you've taken ACTION to get where you want to go. Simple avoidance of calories is a passive thing, and for some people that can be harder to consistently maintain than when they're committing to action.

Just something to ponder. Every human is wired differently. Good luck!!!

I do agree that it's a good habit to get into.
    Unfortunately, exercise doesn't actually do anything to your metabolism or prevent muscle loss in a caloric deficit; it's all about eating enough calories. She'd actually be doing more harm if she were in a 1000 calorie deficit from exercising rather than a 574 calorie deficit from not exercising. Cardio can improve your CV health, and you can improve strength with heavy lifting, but most people aren't lifting weights that are really that heavy. Of course I'm not saying not to exercise, but that's just the unfortunate and discouraging thing about exercise. :laugh:
  • katieleigh333
    katieleigh333 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice I really appreciat it. The sugar comes from whole grains and fruit. I guess its not all bad. I guess I will go for a brisk walk then! Thank you again everyone!