Help!

Options
Hi everyone! I'm having trouble drinking the recommended 8 glasses of water a day! I did okay the first couple days but lately it's been very hard. Anyone had the same problem or can offer advise on how to drink more water? I haven't been drinking diet soda or anything in place of the water (I don't like the taste of diet soda or most diet drinks).

5566413.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• garrettnicole92
    Options
    I have the same problem! Except instead of glasses of water, I try to drink 8 bottles of water during the day because its easier. I can always get to maybe four, after that, I just ... am not thirsty! Haha.

What I'm going to start doing is getting 8 water bottles every day and lining them up in the fridge and just trying to plow through them.I think I'm going to try adding flavor to my water too. Like those crystal light packages? It might break up the monotony of just water water water.
  • sweetiepie31612
    sweetiepie31612 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Don't ask me why, but I find drinking out of a staw helps. I refill the same 24 ounce cup 6-10 times a day now. Again...no idea why. I just like drinking out of a straw better than a glasss or bottle.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Forcing water when you're not thirsty is silly. Drink enough so that you are hydrated. That's all you need. 8 glasses is just an arbitrary number of glasses, not a rule.
  • bebopsbo
    bebopsbo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try using a bottle for your water with a measurement system on the side of it. 3 nalgene water bottles a day is around 100 ounces of water and that equals about 10 cups. Plus at work you can refill it at a water cooler with fresh cold water. 8 ounces = 1cup
  • chicpower1
    chicpower1 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I can't do it either, and actually, 8 glasses is not enough. For every 10 lbs a person is overweight they are supposed to drink an extra glass of water. I don't know the actual science behind it but it has something to do with flushing fat out and how things are working on the cellular level. I can't seem to drink more than 4 glasses a day and I'm like you, I'm not drinking anything else (besides 2 cups of black coffee). It IS hard! I think I'm going to go get my great big drinking bottle I used to use and fill it up. 3 of those equal my water for the day. I used to do better with that than with 8 individual glasses.

8384277.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • made5fly
    made5fly Posts: 1
    Options
    Although environmentalist would not be happy with my method I find it easier to have a goals with every part of my day to keep on track. So to keep on track with drinking water I take 2 16 oz bottles of water with me to work everyday. I drink a bottle with breakfast and drink that same bottle till lunch. By lunch I've finished and Im usually thirsty when I eat lunch.I then open my second bottle. I drink that with lunch and through the end of my work day. Ive just had half of my water for the day. if I work out i can easily drink the 3rd water bottle/ However, I havent been working out as much as I;d like so I drink that from the time I get home from work and the time I eat dinner. i then drink my last bottle with dinner and as i watch tv or get ready for bed. If theres still a bit left I chug the last bit before bed. I know it seems like a lot of bottle but this keeps me on track 4 16 oz bottles = 8 glasses. hope this helps!
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I love these bottles: http://www.amazon.com/Base-Brands-16-Ounce-Reduce-WaterWeek/dp/B001QVGEBQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307801277&sr=8-1

I fill them all up at night and my goal is drink all 5 the next day. It isn't near as hard as it sounds. I generally have one down before I ever leave for work in the morning, I bring 3 with me to work (one stays in the car for the drive home), and then one for the evening. They are 16 oz each so, 10 glasses of water by the time the day is done.
  • avsingleton
    avsingleton Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    @bcattoes. i agree...i read that for older ppl it's actually unhealthy and bad for the kidneys to drink water in excess or when u're not thirsty. i think the 8 glasses of water thing is just a rule of thumb...staying hydrated is all that's important. what it takes to hydrated some maybe different for others. where some might need 8 glasses others may need less.
  • guppygirl322
    guppygirl322 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I have a jug that holds 8 cups so I fill it up and try to work my way through it. I usually forget to drink, and manage about 4.

I find if I have one full glass of water with every meal, that's 3 out of the way.

If I snack, I have another full glass.

If I exercise, another full glass after the work out.

But even then, I only max out at about 6. I've done 8, but really, that isn't very often.

Just do the best you can.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    Well, the more you drink water, the more you will want/have to drink water as time passes... At least this is what I experienced. Right now, I almost feel constantly thirsty =D

So maybe stick a reminder on your phone/computer or whatever (every hour and a half), and whenever the reminder pops up, you know it's time for a drink. It should not be too hard to drink if your last glass was 1 hour and a half ago (and yes, you're going to end up to the loo a lot when you start drinking more water).
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I find what really helps if I am not drinking enough is to get a new water bottle. Like a kid with a toy, I can't put it down! At work, I sometimes struggle with drinking water, especially if I have a cup of coffee. One thing I have found that helps is to put a little water and a ton of ice. I challenge myself to drink the water before the ice melts and the water gets warm! That's usually a few hours with my bottle but it works!