Mini goal advice? without dates? with dates?

Options
Hi all,

While I think mini goals are a great idea and believe they have helped me in this journey, I set dates and never hit the goals by the dates I set for myself. Don't get me wrong... I always get close and eventually hit the goals... just not by the dates I set.

Deciding whether to not use dates at all or maybe be less aggressive and give more time... set later dates, etc.
The thing I want to stop doing is moving the goals up to fit my progress.

Curious what others are doing with mini goals???

Replies

• RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I don't set goal dates. Even if I was still losing, missing a date would feel like a failure to me. I've got a long way to go and I can't afford failure right now.
  • brickok
    brickok Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Tracey,
    I have used goals and only my two major ones with dates, my vacation in Feb. and my son's wedding in Aug. The other goals were usually only 5 lb. losses and I would just do something special for myself (hair cut, tanning package, eye brow wax, etc.) That seemed to help me.

Here is what my life style change looks like as of yesterday 6/10/11

Name: Kim :)
    My Fitness Pal Start Date: July 1, 2010
    Start Weight: 215
    Weight loss/gain this week - 2.4 lbs.
    New Weight: 151 lbs.
    Total Weight Loss to Date: 64 lbs.

BMI: was 23.26 beginning of the week. 22.89 today and mini goal is 22!!!!!
    Weight: was 153.4 beginning of the week. 151 today and mini goal is 150!!!!!

Major goal was 175 before February DONE THAT!!!! (11/18/10)
    Major Major goal was 165 DONE THAT!!!! (1/14/11)
    Next Major goal 160 DONE THAT!!!! (4/15/11)
    Next goal 155 DONE THAT!!! (5/3/11)

FINAL Major Goal: 150 by August 13

Comments: I'm almost there!!! With the weather being sort of nice I have been working outside in the yard and flower gardens so I think that helped with the weight loss. I still can't get into an exercise routine. I need to start toning some of the flabby parts.

****** Only 1.0 lb. to go to reach my final goal!!

I hope this helps you in making your decision

Kim :)
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I've done it both ways. The way I most prefer is the numeric goal without dates. The reason being that life happens and sometimes a) events happen that slow our progress b) sometimes we give ourselves unrealistic time frames. Regardless, I get discouraged when I consistently fail to hit timeline mini goals. And, discouragement sometimes leads to quitting. SO, unless I have an event or something I'm trying to lose weight for, I stick with just pound goals with no time frame. Usually just small lb goals, like 5 lbs at a time. When I personally, can get discouraged with 10 lb goals... But you know, everyone is different! :)
  • TaberMrt
    TaberMrt Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I need something. I was just "off the wagon" for a week--not on MFP at all!!!! I teach and it was the end of the school year and I went wild! Time to rein myself in!!!
  • RuthRW
    RuthRW Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I don't set dates with my mini goals. IMHO the point is to hit those goal weights and it puts too much pressure to have a set time when that is supposed to be accomplished. Reaching those goals should make you feel great, not worse about your progress.
  • traceybett
    traceybett Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thank you all sooo much!!!! Keeping mg/rewards without the datesit will be :-)
    HUGZ! LOVE THIS SITE!! xoxo
  • kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Tracey, I believe goals with dates make us perform more than we would had we not set goals. We might not always hit them and have to re-set the goals but that is ok. Just think how much further you would have come striving to reach them:)

This is a good saying:
    Shoot for the eagle to bag the pheasant, so you don't eat crow!

Recently through a challenge on mfp, I had set a goal to lose 8 lbs by my birthday which is June 17th. Well at the time, I thought really there was no way I could hit this but I wrote it down (set it in concrete) and I looked at it everyday. Well I reached my goal 2 weeks early! Goals with dates are very powerful!! You can do this Tracey:):)
  • Missevanston
    Missevanston Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Tracey,

You know it is funny, I was reading through the comments of others' and they almost had me convinced that mini goals with no dates are best...however, when I go to the last poster, kylakesgal, she made me see that dates play an effective role in goal setting. Any seminar that I have ever participated in stresses the need for reachable, attainable goals, with an achievable DATE.

In my own experience, similar to kylakesgal, I have set goals with dates and I have found that it pushed me to work harder...I realize that not meeting your goal can be frustrating..but it is what it is, and if you don't have a date, then I think it is not really a set in stone kinda goal...just sayin...

PUSH A LITTLE HARDER TO MEET YOUR GOALS, and make sure that the goals that you set are reasonable, and achievable...

HUGS TO YOU xox
  • traceybett
    traceybett Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Ok.....girls u r right....and since u both know me here....I am thinking your both right. The dates do hold me more accountable and I do push hard 1-2 weeks prior. I will set dates... achievable and attainable and work harder on consistency. Lots of love xoxoxo
  • schninie82
    schninie82 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Agreed, def with dates.. Without dates, it's just not a goal... I've been saying for a long time I want to weigh 10 stone, but setting a date and saying 'right, I want to eeigh 10 stone in 3 months from now' is completely different....it's making it real..! Good luck!