I've Graduated to the Pink Weights!

Options
Work Smarter, Not Harder!

Recently I was watching a Youtube video by Scooby1961 (check out his Youtube channel for a host of tips).

In this video he was demonstrating how many of us will sacrifice proper lifting form by lifting weights which are far too heavy! The result, we give ourselves a nice pat on the back thinking we did well when in fact we sacrificed our maximum potential gains.

Sound familiar? If you are like most guys then you will probably understand what I’m talking about. Most men who are weight training (unlike most women) want to ‘bulk’ up and gain some muscle mass to some degree. After all, we men are bombarded images of what strong men should look like from lead heros in movies or the ripped guy on the cover of a fitness magazine. We want to be buff because that is what a guy is suppose to look like these days right?

To get there, we are taught that lifting heavier and with intensity is the key to growth which is true, but add to that equation, proper form for maximum gain.

After seeing that Youtube video, I decided to pay close attention to my form at my afternoon workout and focus exclusively on proper execution instead of trying to lift as heavy as I could.

Soon after I was at the gym, I noticed a guy obviously with his new girlfriend demonstrating exercises. He was showing what muscles those exercises were working and how to do it. What he didn’t show her was proper form.

Sure enough, just as I saw in the video for bicep curls, his elbows left his side, his back arced and he used momentum to lift those impressive dumbells for his girlfriend.

I paid close attention to not only my form that day but observed others at the gym. Surprisgingly, most were using momentum to lift heavy or were cheating in their form so they could lift those heavy weights. Not me, I swallowed my macho pride and headed right for the lighter weights for my chest/tricep/shoulders routine.

I can tell you one thing, my muscles hurt today and I did it the proper way using proper form. Albeit my reps where slightly higher then when I use heavy weights about the 12 -15 range, it was controlled and precise until muscle failure on my last rep.

“Without letting your ego carry you away, go as heavy as your strength allows for the strict execution of each movement. 'Strict' means no cheating of the exercises by calling secondary muscle groups into play.” - Ronnie Coleman – 8 Time Mr. Olympia

Replies

• Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    Options
    Well, anyone doing bicep curls is wasting their time and energy to start with but I agree form should come first and heavier weights as you master it. But keep in mind that should not mean slow either. The normal pace is 2-3 down/return and 1 second lift/pull. Also, cheating sometimes has uses to get over humps.

Let's be real, unless you are at a hardcore power lifting gym, at any given time about half of the people on the floor are either exhibiting bad form, pointless exercises like curls and tricep extensions, wearing weight belts, etc.

I think the biggest mistake I see is how few people squat or deadlift. That should be cornerstone of any program.