If you haven't bought one already....

Options
GET A HEART RATE MONITOR! :happy: I have a F4 from Polar with a heart strap. The machines and MFP do NOT give accurate readings at all. They are usually way over...especially the machines. We take so much time and effort to log our calories accurately...I would recommend doing the same with your exercise calories. It's a great investment. Just thought I'd share. LOL!

Replies

• Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I find the most accurate machine to be the treadmill. Elliptical trainers are a joke. After an hour on one the machine reading was 1000kcal burnt whereas my HRM was 670!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I love mine.....and I have that same one! Best peice of fitness equipment ever!
  • someday_soon
    Options
    Just got one last week --- a POLAR FT7 --- and I LOVE IT. Revolutionized my work outs. I was underestimating my gym classes (Turbo Kick, Spinning, Kettle Bell) by hundreds and overestimating my elliptical by the same!
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I bought the FT4 too and found out I was burning MORE calories than MFP says.
  • slimdownmike
    Options
    I nearly bought one today, but the wife isn't convinced it'd be worth the money.

I'll show her this thread, so anyone want to sell it a bit more, please feel free! :wink:
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I have to agree, I also have the Polar FT4 and it's the BEST investment I ever made.
  • timeforachange2011
    Options
    glad someone posted about this...i was curious. Going to start looking for one this weekend!!! Thanks!
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options

For most activities, I burn more than MFP calculates also.
  • lizzys
    lizzys Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    i'm going to get one
  • TeenaMarina
    TeenaMarina Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Is that the one where you can change the battery yourself? I want whichever one i don't have to send in for a battery replacement!!!
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I have made a plan with myself to buy one after I take a trip next month with my boyfriend. I'm saving for that right now so I can't really splurge on a HRM til after the trip! Especially since I want to buy a new digital camera for the trip.
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    HRM are guessing as well, it all is. all you can do is find a good medium, my HRM says I burn 1500-1600 in 70m mins on here its 1070 I;ll take the lower and it will make up for all the mis-measurements I make on my food
  • jennmoore3
    jennmoore3 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options

For most activities, I burn more than MFP calculates also.

ME too. I love mine! I think that it is why I have been losing so well lately.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Polar! You just get a battery at Target and they are super easy to use. :-)
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I want to get one! Sounds like the one you have is a popular one.
  • LilChickPea
    LilChickPea Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    They definitely are worth the money. I have an F6 and I love mine!
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    glad someone posted about this...i was curious. Going to start looking for one this weekend!!! Thanks!

Awesome! It really changed my life...silly as that sounds...but it was also a good motivator. If I was slacking in my workout, I'd see how many calories I had burned and I'd take it up a notch. It made me feel like I had more control too. I knew exactly what I had burned, which was great.
  • loriannmartin
    loriannmartin Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i broke down and bought one.... the readings on mfp and my hrm for burning calories are way off... i will trust my hrm now.... i dont have the one with chest strap... i am trying to adjust getting used to wearing watch... sears was having a really big sale this week on fitness stuff... i got mine for 65.00
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    ANDDDD the Polar FT4 puts a lil birthday cake on the watch face when it's your birthday :) Totally the reason I bought it... hahah just kidding but it's cute :)
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I have a Garmin 410 running watch and the chest strap HRM. By far the best piece of fitness equipment I've ever owned. I've shaved off 8 minutes from my 10k time in 8 months training the right way. It's so great!