has anyone had to return their HRM?

Options
sarah307
sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
So, if you have seen all my random/crazy posts about rapid heart beat and stuff.. this is kind of continued on from that.

**Basically, I have a rapid heart beat due to a medication I am taking. I just bought a HRM like last week or something like that. I just got off the phone with MCSports (where I bought mine - Polar FT4) and asked to talk to someone who knew a lot about HRMs. I mainly wanted to ask if the calories burned was accurate on my HRM since I have an irregular heart beat compared to others.

He said, "Unfortunately, I hate to tell you this.. but no. The calories burned will be way off and overestimated because of your irregular heart rate."

So this sucks, because I love my HRM. but I really wanted it to accurately track calories burned during exercise training. So I am considering returning this. should i??

has anyone had to return their HRM? for any reasons????

**BTW - my health update - my doctor is supposed to call me Tuesday about my crazy HR.

Replies

• CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I have an irregular heart beat and I use my HRM to keep an eye on it while I'm exercising. I only use it for working out calories burned on a good day. The rest of the time I use it to check everything is ok. My problem is a very slow heart beat. At rest it can be around 35 bpm! I find the HRM useful when exercising so I know if my HR isn't going up high enough and that is why I'm struggling. If that happens I know to take it easy and exercise harder on another day instead.

It might be worth waiting until your doctor calls. You might find the HRM a reassurance while you're exercising. On the other hand, if you only really want it for working out your calorie burn then it's probably not much use to you. If you do return it you can always buy another one in the future if your HR settles down.
  • sarah307
    Options
    I have an irregular heart beat and I use my HRM to keep an eye on it while I'm exercising. I only use it for working out calories burned on a good day. The rest of the time I use it to check everything is ok. My problem is a very slow heart beat. At rest it can be around 35 bpm! I find the HRM useful when exercising so I know if my HR isn't going up high enough and that is why I'm struggling. If that happens I know to take it easy and exercise harder on another day instead.

It might be worth waiting until your doctor calls. You might find the HRM a reassurance while you're exercising. On the other hand, if you only really want it for working out your calorie burn then it's probably not much use to you. If you do return it you can always buy another one in the future if your HR settles down.

Great answer! thank you! This helped me out a lot. I do like the other features of my HRM. and btw, that is crazy that your HR can be as low as 35 bpm!! I am thinking I will wait until Tuesday and then may or may not return it! thanks
  • abalicious
    abalicious Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I had to return my HRM, not because I have an irregular heartbeat, but because it just wasn't accurate. It was a watch-type and right when I bought it I went to the gym to play racquetball. I entered all my info correctly (wt and ht.) and started playing. It was intense, competitive, I was red in the face, sweating bullets, short of breath and basically killing myself. After 60 mins of playing I looked at my cals burned... and it said 25. UMMM 25?!?!? no, it was definitely somewhere in the hundreds. I took the thing back and got my money. Everyone on here recommended to get a chest strap type.
  • sarah307
    Options
    I had to return my HRM, not because I have an irregular heartbeat, but because it just wasn't accurate. It was a watch-type and right when I bought it I went to the gym to play racquetball. I entered all my info correctly (wt and ht.) and started playing. It was intense, competitive, I was red in the face, sweating bullets, short of breath and basically killing myself. After 60 mins of playing I looked at my cals burned... and it said 25. UMMM 25?!?!? no, it was definitely somewhere in the hundreds. I took the thing back and got my money. Everyone on here recommended to get a chest strap type.

yeah that is a little ridiculous!! haha! yeah, mine has a chest strap and is a polar FT4 !
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    The first HRM I bought, a Timex Unisex Zone Trainer, I wound up returning because of how inaccurate it was! It told me that walking for 30 min on an incline of 15% at a speed of 3.0 miles per hour that I burned 580 calories. 580?! I think not! So I bought a Polar FT7 and I'm much happier.. I mean nothing is perfect but its more accurate then that stupid thing was.
  • sarah307
    Options
    yeah! Polar ones are supposed to be the most accurate!