Which is worse?

Options
Not eating all my calories or eating too much sodium?

I always find that if I eat all of my calories I end up going way over my suggested sodium intake. I'm usually not over on anything else except for fiber. Today is a perfect example of what I'm going through. At this moment I have 771 calories remaining and only 108 mg of sodium remaining. So do I eat more and let the sodium go over or do I not eat anymore to keep the sodium under? :ohwell:

Replies

• SuzieQT
    SuzieQT Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Not eating all my calories or eating too much sodium?

I always find that if I eat all of my calories I end up going way over my suggested sodium intake. I'm usually not over on anything else except for fiber. Today is a perfect example of what I'm going through. At this moment I have 771 calories remaining and only 108 mg of sodium remaining. So do I eat more and let the sodium go over or do I not eat anymore to keep the sodium under? :ohwell:
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You're young... I wouldn't worry about sodium. Just drink a couple extra glasses of water to flush it out.

*i'm not a doctor, but that's what I would do.
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    You are young, and if you don't have to worry about your blood pressure it's probably ok...

But what are you eating? Can you give some examples? I eat 1,200 calories a day and never go over my sodium... Maybe you're eating too many prepared/frozen/eating out foods.
  • SuzieQT
    Options
    I'm 100% positive that eating to much packaged food is why I have that problem lol. Today was bad for me anyway because we had a work lunch at which I was totally force fed two cookies. :laugh:
    Normally I have...
    Breakfast: Oatmeal
    Snack 1: Nutrigrain bar or apple
    Lunch: South beach diet or oscar mayer sandwich kit, sugar free jello, minute maid light lemonade
    Snack 2: Reduced fat wheat thins, Craisins, or a 100 calorie snack pack
    Dinner: Varies a lot more than the others but usually something like frozen chicken nuggets and fries or a betty crocker homestyle bake

I also like a lot of really spicy things which doesn't help, but I'm pretty sure the above is why I'm going over. I'm just not sure how crucial it is.
  • jenn10
    jenn10 Posts: 161
    Options
    sodium shouldn't be a problem if you drink your water and watch to see if you are bloating -- I cross my fingers in the morning and if they feel biggers than normal or they feel stiff I know I had too much sodium and I will drink a bunch more water that day.
  • charlie1173
    Options
    Eh... Who cares. Eating too much sodium when you're younger only results in retaining some water... Not a big deal until you get older and, IF you are diagnosed with high blood pressure.
  • SuzieQT
    Options
    Well I don't have high blood pressure and I drink eight to ten 8 oz glasses of water a day. Sometimes even more than that. Maybe I'm just weird but more often than not I sip on water all day long.
    I'll just hope its not that big of a deal and have another snack lol.

Thanks for all the input guys! :flowerforyou:
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Eh... Who cares. Eating too much sodium when you're younger only results in retaining some water... Not a big deal until you get older and, IF you are diagnosed with high blood pressure.

Well, it may not be a big deal for her, but a lot of young people have hereditary bp problems and need to watch their sodium....

Besides, you should learn now how to eat healthy so it's not a radical change later :smile:
  • ladybu6205
    ladybu6205 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have to agree here... too much sodium for anyone is too much. I had to start taking BP medication from the time I was about 22 years old... they could find no apparent reason as to what was causing my HBP. I was thin (only like 129 lbs at 5'7"), I never smoked, did't drink, and I rarely if ever added salt to my foods...while cooking or at the table. I actually was border line Hypertension from the time I was 17.... at least, that is when they first discovered it.

If you are eatting boxed meals, that is where the sodium is coming from. Instead of buying boxed chicken nuggets, how about you make your own...eliminating most of the salt. Just do not use shake N bake to season...it too is loaded with salts. And your Betty Crocker dinners are most likely loaded in salt too...

It takes alot of hard work and determination (and self dissapline) but you can get it under control...

Lisa

Well, it may not be a big deal for her, but a lot of young people have hereditary bp problems and need to watch their sodium....

Besides, you should learn now how to eat healthy so it's not a radical change later :smile:
  • SuzieQT
    Options
    Make your own chicken nuggets? I wouldn't have the first clue how to do that. Plus I'm only cooking for two (sometimes just one), not to mention I'm lucky to be able not to catch frozen chicken nuggets on fire. You're talking to the girl who has caught every appliance that heats food on fire at least once. I mean I caught PANCAKES on fire for crying out loud. I'm very dangerous in the kitchen. Hence the frozen foods and easy to make meals. I definitely don't want to waste food and I definitely don't want to burn my apartment down. Any other suggestions?
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Make your own chicken nuggets? I wouldn't have the first clue how to do that. Plus I'm only cooking for two (sometimes just one), not to mention I'm lucky to be able not to catch frozen chicken nuggets on fire. You're talking to the girl who has caught every appliance that heats food on fire at least once. I mean I caught PANCAKES on fire for crying out loud. I'm very dangerous in the kitchen. Hence the frozen foods and easy to make meals. I definitely don't want to waste food and I definitely don't want to burn my apartment down. Any other suggestions?

:laugh:
    I caught my shirt on fire making mac n cheese on the stove as a kid. I feel justified in laughing WITH you.

Check packages on everything. Look at the daily value percentage on sodium. I have no idea offhand what's high or low, so look around, see what you can figure out.

I've been on BP meds before at 24, for two years. Deli meats are bad, canned soups (although Progresso now has low/no sodium soups), frozen dinners can be bad... Just read your packages dear. I run over one daily limit or another... sodium, sugars, etc.