Turkey Burger Sides Ideas Needed

Options
AshDHart
AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
Since we are watching carbs I'm at a lost for sides! I cut out fries/potatoes and the bun. We usually have crisp green beans with it. Looking for additional ideas. I'm not against carbs but looking for lower and better options. What do you have with your burger?

Replies

• sculptandtone
    sculptandtone Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I'd go with raw carrots, celery, cucumber, and snowpeas with hummus for dipping.

I know a lot of other people like sweet potatoes in lieu of white potatoes. They're not my cup of tea, but i think they're lower in carbs.
  • stephgreene
    stephgreene Posts: 143
    Options
    I like baked sweet potatoes, salad, homemade guacamole/avacado slices, fruit salad, or raw veggies.
  • blueocean52811
    blueocean52811 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Salad, fruit salad, cottage cheese, grill some veggies, Hungry Gril has a "potato" salad, which is made with cauliflower instead of potatoes.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Quinoa salad! Beet salad! Vegetable slaw with a vinaigrette instead of mayo dressing. Grilled veggies-- corn, asparagus, zucchini, etc. Moroccan carrot salad... OMG, I could go on and on... Cucumber salad...
  • rayaross
    rayaross Posts: 5
    Options
    It does take some creativity at first to modify the "American Diet". Some ideas we like are eating burgers without the buns as you suggested, roasting Broccoli in the oven is really good and is satisfying side. I also cut green peppers into 1 inch squares and dip them in salsa, this is a satisfying snack that has a crunch and allows for less then 100 calories in a two green pepper serving. Any plate full of cut up veggies works good, I am a big fan of carrots, celery, and cucumbers. I hope this helps a little, congrats on your 32 lb loss!
  • runawaydoll19
    runawaydoll19 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Well you could always have a salad! Haha. But I know that gets boring.

Broccoli
    Cauliflower
    Spinach
    Squash
    Mushrooms
    Avocado (I used to hate it. But I recently had a change of heart!)
    Cucumbers
    Tomatoes
    Egg plant

If you want some actual recipes:

I looooove this

Pan-Fried Asparagus

Ingredients

1/4 cup butter
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 teaspoon coarse salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 pound fresh asparagus spears, trimmed
    Directions

Melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Cook garlic in butter for a minute, but do not brown. Add asparagus, and cook for 10 minutes, turning asparagus to ensure even cooking.

AND

You don't haaaave to use butter. Or you could just use some low calorie alternative!
  • Gemini_at_36
    Gemini_at_36 Posts: 207
    Options
    We had hamburgers the other day.......I did cucumbers in light itialin dressing.........the combo is cool and refreshing.:flowerforyou:
  • 1crazymom
    1crazymom Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Know you said you cut out fries/potatos, Hungry girl does baked butternut squash fries. Pretty good!
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I usually eat sweet potato fries with my turkey burger, but raw baby carrots and laughing cow cheese would be awesome with it too :smile:
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I like a side salad...or Brussels Sprouts..I like steamed green veggies!
  • Tkhk0514
    Tkhk0514 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    we do sweet potatoes a lot more than we used to. It's a carb but if you read different articles it is one of the "good" carbs. We also do brown rice and I will mix in sliced almonds, sauteed spinach, shaved carrots and some dried cranberries. Very yummy.

Also you could do grilled veggies. A little pasta salad probably wouldnt hurt either...using wheat noodles or the smart roni brand.

Also I just made spagetti squash for the first time. Light taste similar to squash but it has the consistency of a spagetti noodle...It was a good side and I didnt miss not having a carb at all.
  • rissaface
    rissaface Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    We did Portabella mushroom caps marinated in Fat Free italian dressing and then grilled them for a little bit and they came out great! love it, Corn on the cobb is always a good choice.
  • kencaribou
    Options
    I haven't tried them yet, but heard ot something called kale chips. a bunch of kale, 1 tbsp of olive oil, and salt. (I would replace the salt with pepper) baked in the oven. 58 calories per serving and i hear they taste like potato chips. Can't beat that!
    There's a recipe on allrecipies.com
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Tomato salad (I just got tomatoes from the farmers market). Diced tomatoes, sliced red onion, oil and vinegar (1:3 ratio is what I use), top with gargonzola cheese (if you don't like gargonzola, feta works too).
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I've had Kale chips. You have to watch them CLOSELY. Let them crispy - but not too much the other side of crispy or they start getting bitter.
  • Loveylove24
    Options
    that sounds good
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I'd go with raw carrots, celery, cucumber, and snowpeas with hummus for dipping.

I know a lot of other people like sweet potatoes in lieu of white potatoes. They're not my cup of tea, but i think they're lower in carbs.

I have never had it before but hummus sounds good.
    I like baked sweet potatoes, salad, homemade guacamole/avacado slices, fruit salad, or raw veggies.

Seems like a lot of suggestions for sweet potatoes. I will have to try those! I love avacado and guacamole! I haven't made it before but I think I can manage that.
    Salad, fruit salad, cottage cheese, grill some veggies, Hungry Gril has a "potato" salad, which is made with cauliflower instead of potatoes.

Love cottage cheese but usually have a small amount with my tuna. The cauliflower potato salad sounds interesting I will have to look for that one!
    Quinoa salad! Beet salad! Vegetable slaw with a vinaigrette instead of mayo dressing. Grilled veggies-- corn, asparagus, zucchini, etc. Moroccan carrot salad... OMG, I could go on and on... Cucumber salad...

Never had quinoa salad but that looks delish!
    It does take some creativity at first to modify the "American Diet". I hope this helps a little, congrats on your 32 lb loss!

It sure does! Thanks it's been an interesting 32lb journey so far!
    Pan-Fried Asparagus

Love asparagus! Never tried it this way but sounds good.

So many yummy sounding ideas so far! Keep em coming! Thanks!
  • stephgreene
    stephgreene Posts: 143
    Options
    I thought of something else after I posted... if you want something different you could cut up the burger and put it into a salad.. yum!
  • serenademechris
    Options
    I'd like to second the quinoa mention. It is a fabulous whole grain. You can mix it with veggies/fruit (mango, avocado, cilantro, red onion, and jalapeno are my favorites with quinoa), some fruit juice, and even a little olive oil to make a salad. Also, I know you are trying to watch carbs, but you need some carbs. Sweet potatoes cut into wedges, and tossed with a light coating of olive oil and spices, then baked for about 15 minutes are delicious. Sweet potatoes are high in some great nutrients!