Shockers! *GASP* :O

Options
Before using my fitness pal I never paid attention to what I was eating.....now, I log EVERYTHING. Today as I was eating my lunch, I was logging it too....a grilled chicken breast, baby carrots, and some Albertsons macaroni salad. The shocker? Dun....dun...dun...the macaroni salad....one serving = 1 cup = 600 calories!!!! :O Good thing I only had two bites! I did some comparing and my homemade peach crisp has less calories, only 210 for 1 cup.....that ought to say something. The desert had less calories than the side of macaroni salad...

Thought it would be interesting to share our shockers! So what food has shocked you?

Replies

• beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I threw away a 250g spicy couscous on Friday as it was over 250 cals for this tiny pot. so not worth it.

I swapped crisps (chips if you are American) for popcorn too. gets rid of my salty craving, is filling & way less calories & trace fat than a packet of crisps.

A 250g punnet of cherries sorts out my sweet cravings & is around 120 calories rather than a chocolate bar or packet of biscuirs
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    apples are 80 cals? REALLY??? I could have had a posicle for 45! WEIRD!
  • MissMegan3119
    Options
    I love that it really makes you rethink the food choices you are making. Sometimes we just eat things without even thinking, but with this, it really makes a difference.
  • jjclem07
    jjclem07 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I love macaroni salad! I love macaroni & cheese..potato salad....bread......yeah that's why I am 239!
  • bevsdietfor2011
    bevsdietfor2011 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I hear you too!! My husband took me out for dinner last night and I ordered grilled salmon lemon butter on side and it was about 600 calories!!!! I thought salmon was good for us??????
  • lauragoat
    lauragoat Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Getting ready to go out to dinner and thankfully lots of restaurants are posting their nutrition information! Shocker! A lot of the food are a whole days worth of calories! Whodathunkit! Most appetizers are horrendous! But of course,they are cheap fried food! Yikes!
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    apples are 80 cals? REALLY??? I could have had a posicle for 45! WEIRD!

Yes, but the apple has more nutritional value than the popsicle :wink:
  • kcavities
    kcavities Posts: 18
    Options
    I threw away a 250g spicy couscous on Friday as it was over 250 cals for this tiny pot. so not worth it.

I swapped crisps (chips if you are American) for popcorn too. gets rid of my salty craving, is filling & way less calories & trace fat than a packet of crisps.

A 250g punnet of cherries sorts out my sweet cravings & is around 120 calories rather than a chocolate bar or packet of biscuirs

i had two cups of blackberries today for only 120 calories! definitely better than pancakes and syrup (420 cals per cup? NO THANKS!).

annnd yeah, to the other questions arising...apples, depending on size, can range from 50 to 100 calories...sure you could have a popsicle instead but in the end the apple will fill you up, clean your enamel, help your skin more, etc.
  • Sara7Taylor
    Sara7Taylor Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I hear you too!! My husband took me out for dinner last night and I ordered grilled salmon lemon butter on side and it was about 600 calories!!!! I thought salmon was good for us??????

Salmon IS good for us....but like anything, it all depends on how it is prepared. Veggies are good for us, but if they a smoothered in a sauce....there purpose is defeated. Instead of the lemon butter, fresh lemon juice and some spices would make the salmon so much better. :)
  • ronniesgirl1982
    Options
    I was in the supermarket the other day and the noticed that the slim fast bars had more calories than say Malteasers! I know which I would rather.

I've started eating snack a jacks in stead of crisps.
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    A carmel frappe from star bucks 2200 ouch, i have learned to make one for
    about 180 cal thats taste really good
  • beccyleigh
    Options
    yep salmon is very good for you if grilled with a light dressing. anything that is pan fried with a butter or cream sauce is going to be calorie heavy.

any semi decent restaurant will prepare the fish how you want it so just ask the server to make sure it's grilled & have any dressing or sauce served on the side so you can have a bit as a treat rather than have it covering the fish.
  • craft338
    craft338 Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    pasta is my shocker, too. not that it had so many calories...but how small the serving size is!! TWO OUNCES OF PASTA?? WHAT??? i'm sorry, i'm italian. i actually EAT pasta....i don't put it in my dish just to look at it, smell it, and maybe taste it :(

sadly...i've decided to not eat pasta at all unless it's a special occasion. i refuse to eat 3 bites of something that i LOVE. i'll only be miserable afterwards. i'm not one of those "take teeny tiny bites and savor every morsel of food in your mouth and enjoy every moment"....i'm sorry, but besides for not wanting to be a total weirdo.....i'd STILL be HUNGRY after!! so what's the point???

i DID however get into vegan pasta which is pretty awesome and you can have SEVEN ounces for 200 something calories!! =)
  • chicpower1
    chicpower1 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I had a similar experience eating my Wickles (hot pickles). You'd think being PICKLES the only thing one would have to worry about is sodium, but NOOOOOO. VERY high carb! I didn't even bother looking at the calories. If it's that high in carb it's going to be high calorie too. What a shame.
  • Sara7Taylor
    Options
    I love that it really makes you rethink the food choices you are making. Sometimes we just eat things without even thinking, but with this, it really makes a difference.

I couldn't agree more! I love using this sight! It is the best resource I have have ever used! :)
  • beccyleigh
    Options

bloody hell, really? I used to have one of these on a Saturday instead of breakfast, as a treat. not anymore then!!!!!!
  • Sara7Taylor
    Options

great job! I love creating new things! :)
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    There's this yummy wholewheat/cereal bread that I love and it is 291cal/100g...I use to almost eat it all in one day, can you imagine? I was eating almost 1200 calories/day only in bread!

I now buy it maybe once a week, and weigh it and enjoy eating it in little bits.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options

Salmon is good for you. A 4 oz portion of grilled salmon is only 236 calories. Lemon butter is where the calories are. A portion is 4 - 6oz - not the 8 - 16oz a restaurant will serve.
  • beccyleigh
    Options
    I was in the supermarket the other day and the noticed that the slim fast bars had more calories than say Malteasers! I know which I would rather.

I've started eating snack a jacks in stead of crisps.

M&S do salt & sweet popcorn at 80 cals a bag, they also have cheese & onion flavour too. Their cinnamon & apple popcorn cakes are really tasty & filling too. they come in multipacks so easy too control portions too