4oz=????

Options
i eat alot of chicken and i cant figure out how many oz 1 chicken breast equals. most say 4oz = 1 serving so is that 1 chicken breast???

Replies

• nicolet04
    Options
    i eat alot of chicken and i cant figure out how many oz 1 chicken breast equals. most say 4oz = 1 serving so is that 1 chicken breast???
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Me either - well, that was before I got a REALLY inexpensive food scale at the local Wallmart. I think it was under $10 and what a help! Depends on size of the chicken when it went to market.... I'd encourage you to get a scale. :flowerforyou:
  • michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    A deck of cards size is typically 4 oz for a chicken breast
  • ErinRNinMaine
    ErinRNinMaine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    When you buy a package of chicken, note how many pieces are in it and how much the package weighs. Then cut the chicken into equal parts to make 4 oz pieces (granted its boneless/skinless) and this will give you an idea of what a serving size looks like. The bagged frozen chicken breasts from Walmart/Sam's usually have 6 pieces in a 3-lb bag, thus each breast is about 8 oz. This is what I do, and it's sooo much easier.

I loooooove chicken!!
  • kryoung
    Options
    According to Canada's Food Guide - 1 serving of meat a day is all that's needed for a woman, and that serving should be the size of your palm. I use this to help me watch me meat portions.:happy:
  • nicolet04
    Options
    Thanks for the help!!!
  • LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I have always taught that a serving of meat is about the size of a deck of cards. So I usually go with half of a large chicken breast. If it is really small, I'll eat the whole thing.
  • Ezzie
    Ezzie Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I think Erin has said it well....a cheap scale is an eyeopener...but the deck of cards works pretty well. Do WATCH carefully chicken breasts can vary wildly!! Some of the Sam's club ones must be from mutant chickens as they are almost a pound each side....or maybe they've crossed a chicken with a turkey or some such!
    All in all, invest or borrow a scale...:happy:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I bought my digital scale ( highly recc for precision ) at Marshalls or Ross for 10bucks. so worth it, no more guessing:flowerforyou:
  • nicolet04
    Options
    i took the advise and just ordered a food scale from qvc!!! thanks for the advise!
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I think Erin has said it well....a cheap scale is an eyeopener...but the deck of cards works pretty well. Do WATCH carefully chicken breasts can vary wildly!! Some of the Sam's club ones must be from mutant chickens as they are almost a pound each side....or maybe they've crossed a chicken with a turkey or some such!
    All in all, invest or borrow a scale...:happy:

Roflol, Yes! I have some of those mutant chicken breasts! I didn't know chickens came that big! They are about as big as two palms. I'm glad I'm not the only mutant chicken buyer! :laugh:
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I bought an inexpensive scale awhile ago so I could get a better visual on a portion of anything. What I started to do for awhile is get the chicken and weigh each piece then I would ziplock it with the weight on it before freezing so I knew how much I needed to get rid off (or feed to my husband :happy: )

Now I can visualize it pretty good, I test myself every now and then to make sure I am doing ok and I am usually a little light.

:wink:
  • LovelyLady1977
    Options
    What I started to do for awhile is get the chicken and weigh each piece then I would ziplock it with the weight on it before freezing...

I used to do the same thing when I was doing Michael Thurman's Six Week Body Makeover. It definitely makes things easier!
  • nicolet04
    Options
    great idea!!!:drinker:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    I bought my digital scale ( highly recc for precision ) at Marshalls or Ross for 10bucks. so worth it, no more guessing:flowerforyou:

So you're happy with it? Mind sharing the brand name?:flowerforyou:
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    A deck of cards size is typically 4 oz for a chicken breast
    or the palm of your hand sans the fingers
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I finally had to invest in a food scale, got one at wal-mart for $6.00 well worth it. My idea of 4 oz. and the scales idea were very different :tongue: