Guess I'm going to be starving tonight. Need support.

Options
Okay, so the husband came home from work and decided to take a nap. That means no walk for me, no exercise, and no way of making up the extra calories I need so I can eat a decent supper. I was STARVING at lunch and ate too many calories thinking I could go out for a nice 2 mile walk later. He'll wait until the last minute to get up from his nap--right up until the time we have to leave for church rehearsal. By the time we get done, it will be too dark out and the walking path will be closed. (my street isn't safe to walk on. Blind curves and no sidewalks) I can't go with the kids because it's too hot for the baby. I'm HIGHLY irritated at the lack of support I get. So sad when I can't even get two hours once a week to get out of the house without children so I can do something good for myself. Pep talk anyone?

Replies

• ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    do some jumping jacks in your living room? Maybe run up and down the stairs for 5 minutes.
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Seems there is never enough time in a day! Can u get out tomorrow?
    Good luck!
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    There are so many things you can do around the house! Even something as easy and pump up the music and do some dancing with the kids!
  • katie_on_a_mission
    Options
    I am sorry that you are not getting the support you need. Hopefully you will find some here :)

There is a solution to getting your exercise though: work out at home! Jumping jacks, sit-ups, push-ups, planks, mountain-climbers, Turkish get-ups, squats, lunges-- you name it! Good luck!
  • JellyJaks
    JellyJaks Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that your husband isn't being supportive ::frown: Is there any way you can get exercise done with the kids? I do leg lifts with my toddler. I have him sit down on my feet and then lift him up and down. He loves it and I get a good workout because he weighs almost 30 lbs
  • aaaaaamyyyyyyy
    Options
    Jogging on the spot! Just 30 mins gives you LOADS of calories :)
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Sorry you are not getting the support. Get yourself some workout DVD's I liove my zumba and Tae Bo DVD's and burn as much in 45 mins as I would on a 60 minute walk.....

Got them as it is winter here now, so I don't always feel like going out when it is cold and wet
  • mandie26
    mandie26 Posts: 59
    Options
    Exercise at home! Jumping jacks, dancing, running on the spot, livingroom aerobics, ....anything you can possibly do to get that heart rate up! Just look up some videos for at-home exercising on youtube!
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I'm in your boat. My husband is sick and can't take care of the kids so sometimes they don't get a bath or go to be a little later so I can go walking. I never get enough time to go to my hour yoga class that only meets one time a week. I haven't been in months.

BUT, I can walk when I'm at work - down to the cafe to buy lunch or even walk down the stairs instead of the elevator. I can walk at the grocery store. I can park at the last parking spot and walk to where I'm going. Take your kids to the local mall to walk around.

I'm going to suck it up eventually and go to the 5:30 am yoga class before the kids get up - not this week though. Too tired.

My point is, for folks like us, we are stuck but there are things we can do. And 5 or 10 minutes of walking adds up over a day or a week. Don't give up. It gets better. And if it doesn't get better, you can make subtle changes to make it better.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    This might be a strange question, but does he understand what this means for you? There are some times I think what I'm feeling and doing is obvious, but my hubby has no idea. Also, is he just taking a nap for the hell of it, or is he exhausted? Just trying to understand.
  • pixieval
    pixieval Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    ditto on the exercise ideas.
    I also recommend not to starve yourself tonight, that may cause future binging, either late night, or in the morning.
    Maybe eat a light dinner with lots of good things in them? Like a salad, or some yogurt and fresh fruit?
  • shamandalie
    Options
    Get yourself some workout DVD's

THIS :D
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    maybe get a little workout in at home :bigsmile: I work out a home because I have no sitter (Im a sahm).. if you have cable demand you can find some good free workouts on exercisetv demand.

oh ya or go to youtube and you'll find plenty of workouts on there :)
  • McRebecca
    McRebecca Posts: 72
    Options
    I too have an unsupportive hubby... who happens to LOVE fast food.. I always wake him from his naps and TELL him I am leaving the house on my own for 30-45 minutes here are you kids!

But I agree with the others.. dance with the kids, be silly and have fun!
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Also, when I was in losing mode, I know I saw the number on the app or webpage and didn't always remember that those were the calories I needed to eat maximum for loss. If you need to, eat what the program says your maintenance calories are, which will be more. You won't "lose" for the day, but you won't starve either... and you won't gain either.
  • carpar1
    carpar1 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Go to youtube there are free workouts there : )
  • thurberj
    thurberj Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I say put on some gloves and do some boxing moves on the door where your husband is sleeping. J/k, but talk to him about how important his support is!! Do some jumping jacks, squats with weights if you have them, or play some upbeat music and just make up some steps....I'm doing Zumba to latin music and it is so much fun....I'd dance to rock or country too. Good luck!!
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Get a mini trampoline/rebounder. They are inexpensive and very quiet so you won't wake the hubby. I used to get huge calorie burns on that and can watch tv or listen to musice since it is so quiet.
  • beachbum13
    beachbum13 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I agree with the other posters. It is hard when you your support system is not offering the support you would like. I also agree that you should workout at home. Leslie Sandstone is known for her walking videos. You can also use this tape when it is raining or for other times when you can't go outside.

The big thing is to not throw in the towel! Sometimes things and life get in the way, you will continue to reach your goals if you are flexible and can adjust to changing situations that will come up

Hope this helps!
  • FabOma08
    FabOma08 Posts: 500
    Options
    Possibly a friend or neighbor you could exchange babysitting with? Any Mommy's Day Out programs around you?