Old Clothes - Smaller Me

Options
It's a wonderful problem to have but....what do you do when you are losing weight but cant really afford to replace them in your current size?
I work in an office so I have to wear business type apparel. I have been able to modify some of my "fat" clothes for a while now but now they are looking ridiculously big now and make me look bigger than I am! I have bought a few new things but really dont want to have to buy a ton of new stuff if I havent reached my goal weight. Im so not complaining and welcome this problem but was wondering what everyone else does as you drop clothing sizes?
Thanks!

Replies

• Cosmic_Unicorn
    Cosmic_Unicorn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Hit the thrift stores! That's how I found new office clothes halfway to my overall goal.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    good will and I are good friends cheap way to update staple pieces in your smaller wardrobe
    or local consignment shops since their merchandise is on a time basis you can find some deals when the stuff really needs to move out to make roomfor new stuff coming in.
  • Kaiwyn
    Kaiwyn Posts: 11
    Options
    I am in the same boat- what I did was had a "clothing exchange" with friends and got rid of a ton of my old clothes- except I was the smallest one there so got no new clothes for me!!! I go to second hand shops for the "in between" sizes, since I don't want to stock up on clothes until I am at my goal weight. Good luck and good job at losing the weight!!!
  • nomorefatbitch
    Options
    Congratulations on your smaller sizes. Yeah you!!!

Looking at having to do this myself soon. In my case, I plan on giving away SOME of the clothes to friends who will be able to use them. The rest will either go to the thrift stores for our community storehouse and domestic violence shelters.

Again - CONGRATS!!!
  • pammyedmunds
    pammyedmunds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I got rid of 2 dress sizes myself and I had a bunch of work pants from the next size that I am currently now fitting into. But like everyone else, budget constraints and if I keep loosing weight I don't want to spend fortunes on "new clothes" only have it not fit in a couple of months. So yesterday I decided to check out my local thift store and I came out with two shirts, a skirt, and capri's for work. I was very happy! I think next weekend I will try another store location to check out their stock! I don't see a problem with checking thifts stores at all!
  • rcpayton
    rcpayton Posts: 90
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Looks like I need to hit the local thrift stores! A great, and cheap, way to get some clothes that fit until I reach my goal. :happy:
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I sold a heap of my fat clothes on ebay and also bought new clothes from there as well. Got some great bargains. Brand new jeans never worn for fantastic prices.
  • CherrySunday
    CherrySunday Posts: 301
    Options
    I've always been a thrift shop kinda gal. You can find some awesome stuff on the cheap, and it's great for the inbetween days. I mean who wants to invest in new clothes if you're just in the middle of your journey?! My last pair were 11 dollars, and they were Gap Jeans.
  • fitforMYSELF
    Options
    Try to see if there is a Brukes around you. They have wonderful sales! 95%off on brand new clothing. That away you have up to date clothing so you look sexy with your new size! =]
  • fitforMYSELF
    Options
    Sorry its spelled ***Burkes!
    Burkets outlet
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Here in La Mesa and San Diego we have plenty of consignment stores where you can bring in your gently worn clothes for $$ and buy "new" ones for super reasonable prices. It is nice to have your clothes hang on your body!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    If you're still planning on losing, I gotta agree with everybody and go to a cheap clothing store and buy a basic pair of pants - I think it's easier to get away with big blouses than big pants. Start saving money now so when you get down to your goal weight you can go buy some awesome clothing!!!!!!!!!
  • Cadenpet
    Cadenpet Posts: 79
    Options
    I found a tailor. And got like three pairs of dress pants resized for like 15 bucks. And consignment shops!
  • CindiJ
    CindiJ Posts: 20
    Options
    I shop the clearance racks and try to keep my wardrobe mix and match friendly. You can get multiple looks from fewer pieces and accessorize with jewelry, scarves, etc., for more variety.
  • reikimastertchr
    Options
    Hi.. Congrats on losing!! I lost 48 pounds & NEEDED clothes that fit so a few weeks ago I went to our local Goodwill & bought a few items that fit perfectly..along with a few pairs of jeans & tops that were a size or so too small... I now fit very comfortably in the looser ones..and Fit into the smaller ones!!! Great way to keep your momentum and Really Want to lose! Goodluck!!
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Try H&M cute clothes and cheap prices...I am not going to a thrift store to buy someone else's crotch pants...no thank you. Call it stuck up, but Im not wearing someone's messy left overs. I prefer new clothes even if they're cheap. Good luck on this one. Just keep them in good shape and as you slim out of them, sell them.
  • ContinuousEffort
    Options
    I have this problem. I think I'll find a tailor because I love my current clothes.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Even though I'd reached goal weight I went shopping for jeans on eBay and at charity shops (like thrift shops but to raise money for charity). That way I could try loads of different brands to find the fit I liked and get about 7 pairs for the price of one!
  • MaryRose84
    MaryRose84 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    GO TO THE CLEANERS FOR YOUR FAVORITE AND MUST HAVE ITEMS AND HAVE THEM TAKEN IN... ITS AROUND $7 PER ITEM. THIS WAY YOU GET RID OF THE LARGER CLOTHES AND GET CLOTHES THAT FIT IN THE SAME MOVE. ALSO, NOT SURE WHERE YOU LIVE BUT KMART AND BURLINGTON COAT FACTORY HAS LAYAWAY STILL AND WALMART'S NORMA KAMALI LINE IE., $15 SLACKS, GREAT WORK CLOTHES.

PEACE N BLESSINGS
    ~MARY ROSE
  • revstevew
    revstevew Posts: 1
    Options
    I was lucky, I've always lied to myself that the old suit / jeans etc would fit me next year, and are still in the wardrobe even after 6 years. Hopefully next year they really will. In the meantime I find Asda / Walmart a good source of cheap new clothes
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!