Psyllium and going to the bathroom (2 questions)

Options
Steph_135
Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
I realize there are other posts on psyllium husks, but they didn't answer my question.

Does anyone know if it is safe to take psyllium husks on a daily, ongoing basis? I read online that it is, but I wanted more opinions.

Also, does anyone have any other advice to make BM's more frequent? Literally, the only thing that I have found that works for me is running, which I can't do anymore because of my bad ankle. :frown:

Replies

• jellyfishjen
    jellyfishjen Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz recommends taking psyllium husk daily. So I figure its ok to.
  • Steph_135
    Options
    Thanks Jen!! I love Dr. Oz. :happy:
  • cherrieruns
    cherrieruns Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I take a probiotic daily to keep things 'moving'. Also, ground flaxseed will help too.
  • Wendyma1
    Wendyma1 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I have been dealing wih chronic constipation for years now. I have found that the less acidic your body is, the easier it is on your bowels. So, do a search on how to make your body more alkaline. I also found that doing the Jillian Michael 30 day shred helps me go a couple times a day, sounds weird, but since starting 9 days ago, I've had no problems. I try to drink at least 64 oz of water a day as well.

Hope this helps
    wendy
  • MsLadyVirgo
    MsLadyVirgo Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    i have digestive issues too. walking seems to help me, yet too much fiber w/o enough fluid/water will make you constipated.

I drink Senna tea to help me out. at one point i was taking it daily, now i'm using it about once every two weeks.

i didn't answer your original question, but i hope that this helps.

TRY SENNA TEA/TABLETS.
  • soccermum75
    soccermum75 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    It's safe. Just increases the size of feces. It's eliminated right away. Remember to drink lots of water otherwise you might end up constipated.
  • ddcdiva77
    ddcdiva77 Posts: 37
    Options
    I drink senna tea and take psyllium husk pills after switching from powder that I was adding to our protein drinks, but sometimes it would get too thick, so I recently switched to pills. I also add akalzone akaline drops to my water which is supposed to help with digestion as well. The key is water and the water should be at least half your body weight and more when working out. I do not always take them daily, but I should. I have not had any problems.
  • Steph_135
    Options
    I take a probiotic daily to keep things 'moving'. Also, ground flaxseed will help too.
    cherrieruns... Thanks. Those are things I haven't taken in a while! I will have to pick them up again!

Wendyma1... Thanks a lot! I know a bit about acidity/alkaline. Great thought! I don't think the Shred helped me go any more often than usual though... Good for you though!

MsLadyVirgo... I do drink my 8 cups most days, but maybe I should get a little more water. I'm looking more into Senna right now.

soccermum75... Thank you! I will remember.

Thanks ddcdiva77!
  • jeannemarie333
    jeannemarie333 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have heard that psyllium is very good for your colon and okay to take on a daily basis, I recenlty bought a product at Fruitful Yield which is a health food store here in Illinois by garden of life called Super Seed Beyond Fiber, made with organic flax seed meal, a probiotic and cinnamon - it tastes good and works well. If I don't take that I take flax seed oil capsules and they work great :) Also, just bought a big box of prunes - a recommendation from my father :) Lots of fiber rich foods, and vegies - oh and lots o water for sure!! Good luck!!
  • liveyourlifex
    liveyourlifex Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    bump! i need this for later reference :)
  • Steph_135
    Options
    Thanks for those great suggestions, jeannemarie333!