Heart Rate Monitors

Options
gdr1976
gdr1976 Posts: 460 Member
I've seen a lot of people talking about these. What are some good ones?
I've noticed some posts where people can't input their weight or age, so it's not accurate.
Any suggestions?

Replies

• tillNEWYEARS
    Options
    I have polar ft 7. very easy to input your weight and age. I LOVE IT!!! message me if u have any questions about it.
  • keljo720
    keljo720 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 and LOVE it!
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I use a garmin HRM with GPS for my walks/jogs... if you get over the fact that the GPS is very slow to pickup its a pretty neat piece of kit. You can upload and share your workouts, it works with both running and cycling and you can even see your tracks in Google earth. They have many models in their range, the one I got was the Forerunner 305 that is priced reasonably in most shops. I got mine from Amazon.
  • myanko
    myanko Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have a garmin forerunner and love it!
  • LauraLLee
    LauraLLee Posts: 210
    Options
    Well I have just went through purchasing 3 this last month. first I bought a timex. Dont do it. They are not accurate and cheap. Then I bought a garmin forerunner 305. These are a little spendy and if I were an athlete It would of been great I think. Besides the fact I could not figure out how to work it most of the time. I finally bought a polar ft4. Polars seem to be the popular one on this site. I recieved it today and it was easy to set up and works great. I think I finally found a fit. My suggestion is dont cheap out and buy the type that is going to work the best for your activity level. ( you can also imput your age and weight )
  • simplysara9
    simplysara9 Posts: 521
    Options
    I also have a Polar FT7 and when you set up the monitor you can enter your weight / height / age etc. I do believe it's accurate. I have been using it for all of my exercises and usually burn around the same thing for each activity. I have not had a huge fluctuation with calories burned which is why I think it's accurate. My calories burned is a lot different than what MFP has suggested I should burn though.
  • Nico0211
    Nico0211 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have used polar for the past 3 years and love it. I have two polar watches and they are easy to use and really accurate. Hope this helps.
  • NBabi91
    NBabi91 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I have polar ft 7. very easy to input your weight and age. I LOVE IT!!! message me if u have any questions about it.

I have the same one. Its amazing!
  • rgoodearl
    rgoodearl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar RS200, love it !!!
    Amazon - $125
  • beachbum13
    beachbum13 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have Polar F6 and RS300 for runners. I love it! I am getting the fitbit which is like a 24-hr heart rate monitor and measures all calories burned, even while sleeping. Workings for some exercises too.

I cannot think of working out without a heart rate monitor. Polar works with the machines at gym too which gives a more accurate reading
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I have New Balance one. I bought it at Target and I couldn't live without it. I can enter my weight, age and sex on it. I spent about 60 bucks on it so not too bad. My husband bought a Timex one and I haven't heard him complain.
  • gdr1976
    gdr1976 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Thanks! This is some great information. Now I have some research to do. I don't think I need anything with GPS. I use Runkeeper on my phone which I think is a great app. I would just like to compare what that says I burn and compare it to a HRM.
  • tssa
    tssa Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and I LOOOOVVEEE IT. Simple and accurate.
    I bought mine from Target for $99.99
  • nikol40
    nikol40 Posts: 4
    Options
    I have Polar F6 and RS300 for runners. I love it! I am getting the fitbit which is like a 24-hr heart rate monitor and measures all calories burned, even while sleeping. Workings for some exercises too.

I cannot think of working out without a heart rate monitor. Polar works with the machines at gym too which gives a more accurate reading

Do you find a large difference between the two types of monitors? I wanted to get a Polar FT but I have the opportunity to get the RS100 for free essentially and I'm wondering if I should stick with the free one since it still tells me calories burned. What do you think?
  • raaynes
    raaynes Posts: 58
    Options
    I'm thinking about grabbing a Polar FT7... just a dumb question though; if you wear it all day, the calories it records as burned would be in addition to your BMR, correct? I would love to have a better idea of total calories burned throughout the day, rather than simply "sedentary, or moderately accurate". I think knowing how much I burn going about my daily activities would help me better calculate my deficit.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I have Polar FT7 and in a 55 min personal training session tonight, I burned 709 calories.. so crazy. I never would have thought thats what I was burning!

Plus its really easy to use and set up.. which is a major plus. Like someone else said, steer clear of TImex.. their nothing but trouble!