My back is KILLING me!

Options
KnottyJen
KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
About two weeks ago, I started seriously working out. I have three separate workouts on DVD that I've started doing - 3 days on and 1 day off. However, in the last week or so, I've started feeling a tightness in the middle of my back. I thought maybe it was my chair at work, but I've had the same chair for a few years, so I think it's strange that it just started bothering me all of a sudden. Am I'm doing something wrong that's causing the muscles in the middle of my back to tense up? And how in the heck do I make it stop!??? It's driving me bananas!! Thanks!

Replies

• kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    Are you wearing good shoes with arch support?
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Do you do any stretching or yoga routines? I have found if I don't stretch after a workout, I have back pain at times.
  • audigal2008
    audigal2008 Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    heating pad helps with the tight muscles. I too have a bad back, good luck
  • TakuraHunt
    TakuraHunt Posts: 208
    Options
    Check your form when you are exercising. Sometimes that can cause some issues. Also make sure you are stretching before and after your workouts
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you might be having some muscle spasms. I struggle with this and it all stems from week abdominal muscles. The abs support the lower back. So if you have a weak core, your back can suffer. I always know when I need to start working on my abs (which I hate) because I'll start having back pain again. Rest your back the best you can for a week and then start with some light core exercises...
  • mardavlais
    mardavlais Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    When I have *really* sore muscles, I use an ice pack. Two docs and all the athletes I know personally have made this recommendation to me. It's awful when you first apply the ice - try using a towel inbetween your back and the ice pack until you're able to bear the cold directly. It works - promise. :)
  • Tracy184
    Tracy184 Posts: 74
    Options
    Oh my gosh, I started having this same problem last week! I notice it's worse if I don't wear shoes (I like doing Zumba without shoes, but definitely shoes for me from now on). What really really helps is a lot of stretching after the workout, especially alternating arching my back on the floor and then moving to child's pose. Then I do those same stretches again if my back starts to tighten up. Like some people already said, I think it's because my abs/core are super weak, so I'm unconsciously using my back muscles where I shouldn't.
  • KnottyJen
    KnottyJen Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    @kbw414 - probably not the best shoes now. They started out great. But I tend to walk on the outsides of my feet, so now the shoes have molded to that. I do have some good arch support insoles, but they can only remedy the crummy shoe problem so much. Unfortunately, new shoes are not in the budget right now, though. So these will have to do.

@Bakins & Takura - the workouts that I've been doing also include stretching in the warmup/cooldown, so I think I'm pretty good on that.

@Cassondra & Tracy - you are both probably on to something with the weak abs. I try to keep them tight while working out, but man! That is a challenge. I will definitely try to work on that and see if it makes a difference.
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Though it could be anything, the quadratus lumborous is a often-overused "helper" muscle in the mid-low back that often kicks in to support the spine/pelvis when the abdominal muscles are not strong enough to support the work you are putting your body through (which can be any physical activity). I definitely think ab work - especially things that make the abs work for long periods of time (ie, holding plank for 30 seconds-a minute) rather than many repeated short period of time exercises (ie crunches) - will help.

A good QL stretch: sit sideways in an armless chair (do both sides, but I'll explain the right side only) so the back of the chair is on your left and your legs are over the left side of the chair. Move to your right,away from the back of the chair, so your left bum cheek is on the chair but the right bum cheek is not. Drop your right bum cheek towards the floor, and at the same time, reach your right arm up over your head and then towards the back of the chair (so you will be elongating the right side of your torso). Hold this for about 30 seconds and try to really relax into the stretch.

Good luck!
  • makena78
    makena78 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    remember never to go over your ankles when you are doing any sort of bending. stick out that butt and tuck in your tummy for support. don't use weights that are too heavy. and you don't need to keep up with your video instructors. go at your pace and comfort. take a day off to rest. use a heating pad and BioFreeze. I always use Biofreeze for my lower back and knee. take motrin too. but please don't keep exercising if your back is really hurting.
    I don't mean to be preachy as I'm probably saying stuff you already know. But just in case I wanted to put it out there anyway. sorry you're in pain. hope you feel better soon.