Do you think Pilates alone is a sustainable strength workout

Options
I want to strength train and was wondering if Pilates alone would be sufficient or if I should aim to add weights.

Replies

• CheyTag
    CheyTag Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Pilates is great for strengthening core and back muscles, but you should definitely add some free weights at least two times per week, preferably 3 times! Adding one pound of muscle burns an extra 50 cals per day:-)) plus muscle takes up less room than fat and looks beautiful;-)) good luck!
  • lovinglife71
    lovinglife71 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Pilates is more for strengthing your core area, but your core area is from your chest area all the way down to your pelvic bone, my pilates instructor pointed this out the other night. which is basically your whole body. Strengthing this area helps in everything you do, from everyday movement, exercising, etc. You will add more strength to your entire body doing Pilates that you will doing just about anything, especially when you do it more and are able to do the poses more correctly. I would definetly add some free weights, to target areas, like your chest, biceps, triceps, legs, etc. you will get better results doing both!!