English to English translator

Options

Replies

• gemco
    gemco Posts: 129
    Options
    also, depending on where you are in the UK trousers can be pants too.

and don't get us started on what bread rolls are called.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    also, depending on where you are in the UK trousers can be pants too.

and don't get us started on what bread rolls are called.

;)

cupcakes - FAIRY CAKES
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    half of those things are not UK versions of american things, theyre just annoying ways of saying something. I cringe if someone says AWWW BLESS
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    porkies is just cockney rhyming slang, its not what most people would say, although most people would understand it
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    The yard thing always makes me stop and think because in the UK, a yard is a paved or concreted utility area! Or it's a courtyard!
    I have no doubt that many an international incident has been caused by our British neighbors asking their unwary American friends if they could bum a *kitten*.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

US --> UK

Sidewalk = pavement
    Bandaid = a plaster
    Drugstore = chemist
    Sweater = jumper
    Vest = waistcoat
    Undershirt = vest
    Pocketbook = purse?? (unsure about this one!)
    Purse = handbag
    Suspenders = braces
    Biscuit = scone (from what I can make out, it seems to be a cobbler-type food)
    Candy = sweets
    Jelly = jam
    Jello = jelly
    Check = restaurant bill
    Broil = grill (confuses the heck out of me!)
    Grill = griddle???
    Jelly roll = Swiss roll
    Private school = public school (my partner lived in Rye as a child but was sent back to England to go to public school - apparently confused the heck out of some of his US chums!)

half of those things are not UK versions of american things, theyre just annoying ways of saying something. I cringe if someone says AWWW BLESS

I agree! And I have never heard of wishy-washies ....that just sounds like baby talk to me!
  • jenfunfur
    jenfunfur Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    haha the great british bread roll debate, is it a batch? cob? roll? the list could go on forever i've had so many arguements about this :)
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    i always wondered what broil meant. I assumed it was close to boiling something
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    ITS A ROLL, unless its a for a burger, then its a bun.
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    i have NEVER heard of windscreen wipers being called wishy washies in all my days LOL
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    No it's not, it's a bap! Unless it's got chips or bacon in, then it's a buttie.
    Edit: Unless it's crusty, then it's a roll...

US --> UK

Suspenders = braces
    Faucet = tap
    Trash = rubbish

I couldn't get the water to run in my American friend's bathroom. "Hey the tap doesn't work!" I shouted. "The what?" she replied. "The tap, you know, the thing the water comes out of. "Oh faucet!" she said. So I forced it and it came off in my hand...
  • gemco
    gemco Posts: 129
    Options
    it's a bun, though can be transformed into a ham roll or a chip butty depending on the contents.
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    thats true, if its got chips (fries) in it its a butty.

a bap is bigger than a roll
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    i am totally going to call wipers wishy washies from now on. After all. I am British
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    if a handbag is a purse, what do americans call actual purses that you keep money in?
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    i am totally going to call wipers wishy washies from now on. After all. I am British

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

The roll thing is so funny - I've never ever thought about it before but I do refer to the things you put burgers in as buns (or tummies!). Thinking about it, a bap is larger and softer than a roll, and a roll just about covers everything else. Well, as far as I am concerned! Can anyone tell me what a huffer is though?
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    a huffer is bigger than a bun I believe. Its just a massive roll. Possibly more oval than round
  • suzitkd
    suzitkd Posts: 110
    Options
    I'm English, these are some additions to the list
    weiner = hot dog
    in my experience pants are always underwear, never heard any English person refer to trousers as pants!
    living room and lounge are both used
    mudguard=fender (fender is a thing that stops a boat crashing into the dock wall, and it's also a nice make of guitar..)
    tap=faucet
    rubbish=trash
    football=soccer
    american football=football
    porridge=oatmeal
    fizzy drink=soda
    ice lolly=popsicle
    bin=trash can
  • diverdi
    diverdi Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    So a pocketbook is a purse, I always imagined it was something like a Filofax!

Nightstick =truncheon (not really relevant to MFP though)
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    northerners (england) call trousers pants i believe, and even southerners might refer to tracksuit bottoms as trackie pants?

its a bit hard to say UK english, because the variations are immense. You might go to Aberdeen, Glasgow, Newcastle, London and itll be almost a completely different language for everyday use
  • knkmfp
    knkmfp Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    pissed (US) = angry
    pissed (UK) = drunk