Weekend Dilema

Options
lissypriss
lissypriss Posts: 157 Member
Ok, here it goes! I've been doing well, eating-wise, and this weekend I will be going out of town. It will be just me and my husband so I can attend and enter a cake show. Now, my husband and I haven't had a weekend without our kids in a very long time, much less staying away from home. I'm wondering if I should splurge (eat my faves) on a nice dinner or two in a restaurant, and return to my regular diet when I get home, or just eat at subway. Would one weekend of more than my regular calorie intake be a bad idea?

Replies

• bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Enjoy yourself! My husband and I took a 9-day trip to Mexico over spring break and I had no intention of "dieting" while I was there. We countered the food by taking long walks on the beach every morning. We dined on fantastic, rich foods and had many cocktails. Surprisingly, I only gained 2 lbs during that time. While it may seem like a little setback, you can't deny yourself from having a memorable and fun weekend either. Bon appetit!
  • Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and indulge! I would just stop when I am full so I don't just go gorge!
  • Keri_girl
    Keri_girl Posts: 44
    Options
    Small splurges are ok, or at least in my mind they are. I would still watch how much you eat but give yourself a little treat. Have a great time!
  • pinkydoodle
    Options
    eat at subway and stay on track one cheat leads to more
  • kristimaggard
    kristimaggard Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is anything wrong with that. If you have the mindset to REALLY get back on track when you return then you should definitely do it! Maybe try to get some exercise in-maybe you and hubby can go for a walk or something, but I have lots of friends on MFP that have 4 or 5 cheat days a month. Don't stress yourself over calorie counting! This journey isn't going to be 100% perfect. Enjoy your trip!!!
  • princilam99
    princilam99 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You are out with your hubby on a rare occasion without the kiddies. I would say to enjoy life. Go out for a nice dinner but still be mindful of your choices. Don't binge and overdo it, but there's nothing wrong with a nice dinner. Skip the subway and head to a good restaurant and listen to your body. Drink plenty of water and make better choices, perhaps skipping on the bread or splitting dessert. I think this is a good compromise. You are still out enjoying yourself, but you gave yourself the confidence to be able to go to a restaurant and eat a good meal. Have confidence in yourself that when you return, you will get back on track with no problem. In fact, I don't think going to a restaurant and making mindful choices of what you eat is going off track. It's part of life. Don't put your life on hold because of a track. Embrace it, have faith YOU WILL make good choices!
  • NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    eat at subway and stay on track one cheat leads to more

While this can be true, it doesn't necessarily have to be. I think that the original poster is really the only one who can decide. You have to be honest with yourself and where you're at.

In the past (I've dropped weight several times) this above statement would have been very true. I'd have the attitude of "Oh well, I blew it." and would go overboard.

This time however, I have (finally) arrived at a different place. I can enjoy myself for a special occasion or a vacation and then get back on track. I gained while on vacation, but that is all gone now.

So you have to be honest with yourself and decide how it will impact you, mentally.
  • calmmomw3minimeez
    calmmomw3minimeez Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I think that it all depends on how you're gonna feel afterwards...if you go and enjoy yourself and maybe have a slight gain after and end up beating yourself up, getting discouraged and wanting to quit, go to subway,:angry: BUT if you take this opportunity to enjoy hubby and the events that you're going to and want to splurge for a cpl days, you know you deserve it and will come back home and WORK IT, go for it:wink: ..

.I understand completely the feeling of NEVER being away from the kids:indifferent: ...I shocked my entire family last month by simply getting a babysitter(family member) and going out for a few HOURS one Friday night. :noway: I thought that I would be a nervous wreck, but I ended up enjoying myself and dancing my butt off(drank my butt off too):drinker: , but that next week at weigh in I had lost about 1.2lbs(guess I should drop it like it's hot more often, lol)!!:bigsmile:

I would go out and enjoy and just work it off later...one or two days couldn't possible REVERSE all the hard work that you've already done - it may put you back a bit:grumble: , but to have that little time off is worth it.:happy: This comes from a woman that usually NEVER leaves the house WITHOUT my kids, I'm with them 24-7:yawn: , so I hope you go and have a good time!!!:smokin:
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Ok, here it goes! I've been doing well, eating-wise, and this weekend I will be going out of town. It will be just me and my husband so I can attend and enter a cake show. Now, my husband and I haven't had a weekend without our kids in a very long time, much less staying away from home. I'm wondering if I should splurge (eat my faves) on a nice dinner or two in a restaurant, and return to my regular diet when I get home, or just eat at subway. Would one weekend of more than my regular calorie intake be a bad idea?

I think I'm seeing an "all or nothing" mentality here. Why can't you do both? Eat lightly during the day, then "splurge" once at your favorite restaurant (but be mindful of what you order, monitor your portions and log it). The rest of the time behave yourself and eat at subway. This is supposed to be about a lifestyle. "All or nothing" can be the death of this mindset. You can win this battle if you don't go for "all" (going crazy) or "nothing" (depriving yourself to the point of wanting to quit).
  • supermom1114
    supermom1114 Posts: 577
    Options
    Go ahead and enjoy yourself. Drink lots of water to counter act the higher sodium in the meals but other than that enjoy the food you love. It actually takes 3-4 days of higher calorie counts to make your body start storing fat. Although you may retain a pound or two of water, as soon as you get back exercising again that'll go away. Just remember you might not see as big of a weight loss next week than you've been losing but it won't hurt you in the long run.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    frolic and walk a lot
  • lissypriss
    lissypriss Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm so grateful for your feedback! Before I joined mfp, I already made up my mind that I can be mindful of what I eat. I can't believe how well I've done, and I haven't even been hungry! Though it's harder to find restaurants that make a point to serve food lower in fat and calories, maybe we can find one that will cater to BOTH of us. It doesn't bother me that he can eat what he wants and doesn't feel guilty, (wish I knew his secret!LOL!) but I don't want to go overboard. Since the event we are atttending takes place on many city blocks, I plan to put my tennis shoes on and explore all they have to offer! It will be 100+ degrees that day, so I don't think I'll have an issue working up a sweat! :) I will miss my kids dearly, but my husband and I are due for a two-day get away, even if it's for a cake competition! Lol! It's a darn good thing I hate cake, or this profession would be the death of me! LOL!
  • SunnyDispo619
    Options
    I say let yourself indulge a little. Don't do the Subway route, just make better choices than you have before you began your weight loss journey. That could mean ordering whatever you want, but only eating a portion of it, or it could mean ordering a modified version of what you really want. However, if you do indulge, don't feel guilty about it afterwards!!! Let yourself enjoy and be done with it! :) Good luck!