Have a question about additional Strength training

Options
I finished my first round of Insanity a week ago, and I'm going to do another round in a week or two. I'm 2 lbs away from reaching my goal weight, but it doesn't stop there. No my focus has changed from weight to body fat %. I'm around 29% now and want to get down to 15%. So I know I need to add muscle mass to help burn the fat away.

When I start my next round of Insanity, I plan on strenght training 3 days a week as well. My plan is to do Insanity in the morning, and then on Mon- Wed- Fri evenings do my strenght training. All I plan on doing is Dumbell Brench press, Dumbell Squats, and barbell Deadlift. I know the big complex movements are the best form building muscle, but I want to make sure that this combo of cardio and strenght training is compatible. I would apperciate any suggestions or comments.

thanks
Ed

Replies

• CynRankin
    CynRankin Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi, I am new here but I thought I would add my two cents. I started this weight loss journey a few months ago and am down 43 pounds since Jan2011. The best strength training workout I have found is TRX---amazing. It uses your own body weight and you control the workout. Little movements equal great results. I take it at my local YMCA--if you have the means, check into it. You will love it, I guarantee it!
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I finished my first round of Insanity a week ago, and I'm going to do another round in a week or two. I'm 2 lbs away from reaching my goal weight, but it doesn't stop there. No my focus has changed from weight to body fat %. I'm around 29% now and want to get down to 15%. So I know I need to add muscle mass to help burn the fat away.

When I start my next round of Insanity, I plan on strenght training 3 days a week as well. My plan is to do Insanity in the morning, and then on Mon- Wed- Fri evenings do my strenght training. All I plan on doing is Dumbell Brench press, Dumbell Squats, and barbell Deadlift. I know the big complex movements are the best form building muscle, but I want to make sure that this combo of cardio and strenght training is compatible. I would apperciate any suggestions or comments.

thanks
    Ed

You need to keep in mind, total energy expenditure. If you're not eating enough to fuel your body, you can have negative consequences. If you eat too many calories, you also can negate weight loss. I would just stick to insanity till it's done... then do resistance training.
  • kirkemorgan
    Options
    I'm in the dark about Insanity, id it a form of cardio program? If it's like PX90 then doing the big three lifts will fit fine into the week, there won't be alot of micro-tramua to the muscles if the program is like that, so you can afford the powerlifting moves, they will actually be low danage if you are kepp the reps low. Lots of eccentrics cause the most damage, like bodybuilding type programs.
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Hi Ed! Congratulations on finishing Insanity! That is a very tough program (hope you sent in for the shirt! You earned it!)

You should be fine with strength training along with Insanity - as someone mentioned before, just make sure that you are eating enough to cover the extra energy expenditure. Since you are doing the cardio in the morning and lifting in the evening, you should be able to do both without compromising your performance. If you ever change so that you do cardio and lifting back to back, the recommendation is to lift first, then do cardio. The reason is that if you do the cardio first, you'll be lifting on already fatigued muscles and your lift won't be at your maximum capability - you'll compromise the lifting workout.

If you don't already lift weights, there are some good places online to get routines and instruction on how to do the exercises properly. A really great site is scoobysworkshop.com. There is also bodybuilding.com and menshealth.com.

Hope this helps!
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Hi Ed! Congratulations on finishing Insanity! That is a very tough program (hope you sent in for the shirt! You earned it!)

You should be fine with strength training along with Insanity - as someone mentioned before, just make sure that you are eating enough to cover the extra energy expenditure. Since you are doing the cardio in the morning and lifting in the evening, you should be able to do both without compromising your performance. If you ever change so that you do cardio and lifting back to back, the recommendation is to lift first, then do cardio. The reason is that if you do the cardio first, you'll be lifting on already fatigued muscles and your lift won't be at your maximum capability - you'll compromise the lifting workout.

If you don't already lift weights, there are some good places online to get routines and instruction on how to do the exercises properly. A really great site is scoobysworkshop.com. There is also bodybuilding.com and menshealth.com.

Hope this helps!
    I have a different view, your point is valid, not saying its not. Id do lifting first to deplete the muscles of glycogen so you can burn more fat with your cardio
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    You could do an Insanity/P90X Hybrid.
    Thats on the menu for me next :)
  • mmtiernan
    mmtiernan Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Ed! You got the shirt!! Way to go!!! Woo hooo!!!