C25K- running machine or running outside?

Options
2»

Replies

• LimeyTart
    LimeyTart Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Treadmill. I can only work out when I have childcare and I only have childcare at the gym.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I started running last winter on the treadmill. Transitioned to trail running when the weather turned. Will never go back. Can"t even stand the thought of the "Dreadmill" any longer!
  • Kristie18
    Kristie18 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    for the first few weeks I did it on the treadmill and then I started to run outside. Now I run when I can outside, but if it's not possible I do it on the treadmill with a small incline.
  • wildside79
    wildside79 Posts: 46
    Options
    I'm doing it to also work up my knees and shins so I can build them up rather then burning them out right away, so I'm 100% outside.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I do both..mostly outside since I life in San Diego...but I prefer it also because I can run as slowly as I want without the numbers glaring at me :) I like mixing it up though..outside now I go for distance instead of time, so sometimes I will go back on the treadmill and do an early week of the program at a quick speed, just to change things up. I think of it like an interval workout.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I prefer the real life experience... 4 Seasons, all out of doors. There is something to be said for fighting the elements, whether thats -40 on New Years Day, driving spring rains, strong summer winds, or changing surfaces.

Although the treadmill has its place... it provides a much different workout than running out of doors. With a treadmill, the belt drives you at a constant pace, it's not your own iron will against the conditions, your own body setting the pace and tempo. I find it a rather boring device which is a stark contrast to running outdoors. I refer to it as the dreadmill...and if not for the outdoors, I likely would not run as far or as often.

That being said, for me, the dreadmill is a choice of last resort... when I absolutely can't get a run in outside.