What do you prefer? Snacks or No snacks.

SkinnyEmLee
SkinnyEmLee Posts: 6
edited September 28 in Food and Nutrition
Do you prefer three square meals or snacks in between?

Also.. with my intake being only 1220... it's kinda hard to eat 6 times a day. Any suggestions?

Replies

• JaycrazyRose
    JaycrazyRose Posts: 104 Member
    I sometimes either have some Extra gum, peanuts or a granola bar. It takes away some of the hunger pains until it is time eat my meal.
  • justaloozer
    justaloozer Posts: 122 Member
    I definitely love snacks!
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Do you prefer three square meals or snacks in between?

Also.. with my intake being only 1220... it's kinda hard to eat 6 times a day. Any suggestions?

I don't eat snacks. there are some benefits, and there are some negations by eating snacks. The good thing is digestibility of your food. The negative is, it impairs your fat burning abilities, eating increases insulin, which can store bodyfat.
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    In general no snacks. Exceptions are if I am starving and I want to go to the gym so I have a little snack first in order to get a better workout, or else if there is a social reason.
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    I'm a big snacker - my meals are about 300 - 500 calories but I have as many calories in snacks per day (in total I mean, not per snack!).
  • arielian
    arielian Posts: 200
    i love snacks, it keeps your metabolism up!
  • gfchica
    gfchica Posts: 54 Member
    I have to eat snacks. My meals are usually not much bigger, calorie wise, than my snacks. I have digestive issues though that necessitate in eating small frequent meals all day.
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    I'm a big snack fan.
    I'll eat off and on throughout the day, and still have my 3 regular meals. Worked fine for me when I was losing weight, and works fine for me in maintenance mode.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    i love snacks, it keeps your metabolism up!

sorry to say, but scientific research stays the contrary. Eating more frequently does not improve your BMR.(Basal Metabolic rate)

Multiple feedings has no effect on the BMR or Active metabolic rate
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8399092
  • AllyV0621
    AllyV0621 Posts: 81
    i actually DON'T really eat "meals." one reason is that I'm always on the go, to class, to work, etc. the other is that it seems like even when I eat a nutritious, 500 cal meal, i'm hungry 2 hrs later. I'd rather eat a 50-150 cal snack and be hungry an hour and a half, or even an hour, later.

I have snacks to fill every food group and required nutrients, but rarely do i sit down to eat lunch or dinner. my lunch is a series of snacks spread out from about 11-3 and my dinner is the same, but later. The exception is breakfast, which I always eat.

This doesnt mean I don't cook. I just store everything and eat it slowly, in 1/2-1 servings at a time.

The trick to this is to figure out what groups keep me fuller longer. Protein keeps me full for a while. So a hard boiled egg or cheesestick is a good choice right before work, when I'll be running 2 classes back-to-back and won't have a chance to eat until after. Fruit doesn't keep me full, but does give me a burst of energy, so a cutie or a couple berries are good choices if I have to stay awake for just a 1/2 hr longer to study. Carbs are a good middle ground.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    I eat every 3 hours, it keeps my hunger controlled and I make better food choices too because I'm not overly hungry.
  • sugarbeans
    sugarbeans Posts: 676 Member
    I personally need snacks in my diet. Helps me throughout my day and I don't overeat during dinner like I used to before snacking. I used to feel starved after work come home and felt like i'd empty the fridge in one sitting!! I don't do that anymore.lol
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    S N A C K S
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Snacks. It's a long time between lunch and supper. *crunches on her apple*
  • manorexicmarshmallow
    manorexicmarshmallow Posts: 80 Member
    I have to have snacks, otherwise my blood sugar gets so low, and I'm so hungry I can't concentrate.

Also, I find I tend to overeat during mealtime if I am ravenous (due to no snacks). A Fiberone granola bar (140 calories) or a 100 calorie popcorn does the trick for me. Lots of fiber to fill me up, tide me over till mealtime.
  • vibegirl
    vibegirl Posts: 69 Member
    It's really a preference...whatever works for YOU to keep you on track. Personally I usually snack a little between meals...busier days, maybe not...but helps my blood sugar and mood :o)
  • briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    I try really really really hard not to eat snacks because they are such a weakness of mine. I wont even be hungry but bored and if I allow myself to eat a snack then all is lost.
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    I personally have to eat snacks- when I don't eat for a while my blood sugar gets low...it ain't pretty! I just keep them at 150 cals or less. My daily calorie goal is 1290; I typically go with granola bars, 100 calorie popcorn; english muffin with a 1/2 tbsp of peanut butter- The important thing to remember about snacking is that even though they're not meals, if you're going to snack they should be satisfying! An empty snack is worth nothing!
  • I love snacks, but I want to avoid eating them freely because I tend to overdo it. From now on I want to have assigned snacks instead of random trips to the kitchen
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Snacks. It's a long time between lunch and supper. *crunches on her apple*

haha this is perfect!:laugh:
This discussion has been closed.