Couch to 5k group Starting June 12!!!

Options
Hey everyone!
I've actually already done the first workout, yesterday, but wanted to see if anyone else wanted to make a group to talk about things and encourage each other. I used to run before I got pregnant but the first trimester wiped me out, all I could get motivated for was playing soccer with friends. I started working out again once my energy came back and the nausea was gone. So here I am a little over halfway there wanting to get my run routine back but my doctor says I should start slow. So, I'm doing C25k from the very beginning. So if you want to join with someone who used to run and has done C25k before, just getting back into things let me know!!!

Replies

• stronglikebull
    Options
    sign me up! i did it last summer and got to week 5 before i got sick and ruined my progress/weight loss/life. i'm currently signed up for a 5k the last weekend of august and i'd really like to do it in 30 minutes or less so this is just about perfect timing to start the program again.

i lift weights m/w/f so i'll be running on t/th/sat if that's all right with you :)
  • hgellings
    hgellings Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!
    I've actually already done the first workout, yesterday, but wanted to see if anyone else wanted to make a group to talk about things and encourage each other. I used to run before I got pregnant but the first trimester wiped me out, all I could get motivated for was playing soccer with friends. I started working out again once my energy came back and the nausea was gone. So here I am a little over halfway there wanting to get my run routine back but my doctor says I should start slow. So, I'm doing C25k from the very beginning. So if you want to join with someone who used to run and has done C25k before, just getting back into things let me know!!!

WOW... good for you! I came up with every excuse in the book to not have to exercise while pregnant with my second and I regret that. I think because it took us 3 years to get preg with her by the time we got pregnant I felt it was my turn to sit back and relax. Bad outlook = 50lbs of gained weight during my pregnancy. :embarassed:

But now I'm trying to lose the last 20 and be healthy! :smile: Wishing you a happy and healthy 9 months!
  • supermom1114
    supermom1114 Posts: 577
    Options
    sounds good! I'm not looking to regulate when people run or anything, do what works for you and your schedule, but get it done! lol

I too want to do a 5k in August or September, and am hoping to make it in the Houston Half Marathon. It'll be January 15, 2012 which will be about 3 months after I'm due. If I don't get in then I'll probably start Insanity in December just to try it out.
  • irishk8lin
    irishk8lin Posts: 15
    Options
    I'm up for it! I need some good motivation :)
  • supermom1114
    Options
    Thanks! I too gained 55lbs with my first pregnancy, but for different reasons, check out my profile. But I lost them all with the help of God, this site, and Jillian Michaels. Now that I'm in a better place mentally I love working out and how it makes me feel. If I don't take care of myself then I can't give my family the mommy they deserve.
  • supermom1114
    Options
    Sounds great irish, good to have you!!

For anyone who needs the C25k plan heres a link!!

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • pittsblue99
    pittsblue99 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    If you are up to one more I'd love to join. I just walked my first 5K at the beginning of June and am hoping to sign up to run one in late August. I can say that I have never really run in my entire life - and I was on the track team in high school too (but I was a thrower). I need all the help and motivation I can get - my husband is great but not much in the ways of weight loss support.
  • bluemango
    bluemango Posts: 1
    Options
    I'll join in. But I have to start tomorrow! So I'll already be a day behind. :embarassed:
  • irishk8lin
    Options
    I'll join in. But I have to start tomorrow! So I'll already be a day behind. :embarassed:

I have to start tomorrow also, I'm at my parents house for the weekend.
  • supermom1114
    Options
    welcome pitts and mango!!!

And don't feel bad if you can't start today! Make the workouts fit for YOU!! I'm not out to tell you what days to run or workout, just make sure you get three done every week so we can all progress from week to week together. When I first tried C25k I would right down my workouts on a calendar for the ENTIRE thing. I never ended up sticking to them because one day I would end up too busy or too tired and would get discouraged that I didn't do my workout. I've learned that its all about FLEXIBILITY!! So my new system is writing down the workout for each week on the side of my calendar. Then on a day that I do my run, I right it in and put a big check mark. This way if I don't get my run in like I planned on Tuesday I don't have a big crossed out line, but I still like writing them in when I do do them so I can look back and see what I've accomplished.
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    just found this and planning on starting tomorrow (if the weather is nice) if not I might just run in place to make up for it
  • supermom1114
    Options
    just found this and planning on starting tomorrow (if the weather is nice) if not I might just run in place to make up for it

Welcome, welcome!! I have totally run circles in my house before, it can get boring but you always feel a little better knowing that despite the worst of weather conditions and no treadmill you still stuck to your commitment and got it done!! But it's always nicer to be outside, I hope your weather turns out wonderful!
  • monicainacoma
    monicainacoma Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'd like to do it. I'll be starting tomorrow. I didn't know you could have groups on MFP.
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Can I join in? I just finished the first week.
  • supermom1114
    Options
    Yes! Welcome Monica and Jess!!!!

Good Morning buddies!!! I hope everyone is able to get some kind of workout in today. I'm not able to run today but I'm cleaning the house with ankle and wrist weights on and then when my son naps I'll do Jillian Michaels Yoga Meltdown. Can't wait for my run tomorrow though, anytime I start getting sore from lifting weights and strength training I crave a run to get blood flowing to the repairing muscle and get that lactic acid out of there!

Stay positive to day everyone, and remember "You achieve what you believe!"
  • kmf121110
    kmf121110 Posts: 6
    Options
    I'm in! I started last week so I am in week 2 but having a group of people to do it with is great!
  • monicainacoma
    monicainacoma Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Wow, I did the first day if C25K and it was pretty hard, but I'm gonna keep doing it. I also did Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred (still on level 1, but this was my 5th time) and played tennis. I burned alot more calories today than I usually do and it feels great.
  • supermom1114
    Options
    Welcome kmf!!! Support is a big key in sticking to your lifestyle changes!

Thats awesome Monica!!! Stick with the positive attitude and the program and it will pay off!!! I LOVE 30 day shred! And her other DVDs and books, and Jillian (for the most part) in general! I actually run listening to her podcasts lol
  • bluemoon_2425
    Options
    I would like to join in as well! I take Zumba on Tuesdays and Thursdays and I have class tonight, so I will have to start on Wednesday. :)
  • irishk8lin
    Options
    Just did my first day and holy crap I'm sore. I'm not going to lie I thought the first day would be a piece of cake, but I was wrong. I did also a full leg workout with weight machines on top of the couch to 5k but I can't wait to get going even more. A friend from work just signed me up for a 5k in September so I have to stick with it :)