"Danger" Times -- What Do You Do?

Options
I never (well, okay, very rarely) have a problem with cravings or eating more than I mean to during the day. It always, always strikes either early evening (5ish) or after dinner.

Help me! What do you guys do?

P.S. I also have very few friends on here, sniff sniff. Add me if you are so inclined. My diary is open! :)

Replies

• widmar
    widmar Posts: 72
    Options
    Unfortunately I have the same problem, so I would love to see the responses you get. Sorry I can't help. But you're not alone!!!
  • ageros
    ageros Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water if I feel like I'm getting cravings for junk food, seems to be working so far.
  • katythemommy
    katythemommy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Evenings have always been the worst for me as well. I try and workout in the evening which keeps me distracted and it helps keep me on track.
  • SquishyVicki
    SquishyVicki Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I usually have the same problem but today I had a HUGE lunch at 2pm and I am still full from it and do not want to have dinner.....therefore considering it is now 7pm and 5 hours after I ate I am wondering whether I have found a solution - large lunches that leave you fuller for longer and a small dinner instead. No idea if this is tried or tested by other people but is just something I have noticed today and therefore I may give it a go!! :o) Vx

Ps - I am of course forcing myself to have a light dinner in the interest of healthiness and that if I didn't I would be too far under my daily calories... :smile:
  • fitforMYSELF
    Options
    Well what I do is drink crystal light or something like that that has a sweet flavor but isnt that bad for you..or try Nilla Wafers, Sugar free snacks, 100 calories snacks the flavored rice cakes are really good...what away you get the taste of something sweet and that should do it...hope it works!
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I used to binge horribly at night...so i started eating something, anything every 2-3 hours, i even have my last snack sometimes at 9:00...and it has helped me break a rut i was in and start losing again!! the key for me is never letting myself get hungry, i read something about eating because its time to eat, not necessarily because you are sooo hungry, its worked for me!!!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    I usually have the same problem but today I had a HUGE lunch at 2pm and I am still full from it and do not want to have dinner.....therefore considering it is now 7pm and 5 hours after I ate I am wondering whether I have found a solution - large lunches that leave you fuller for longer and a small dinner instead. No idea if this is tried or tested by other people but is just something I have noticed today and therefore I may give it a go!! :o) Vx

Ps - I am of course forcing myself to have a light dinner in the interest of healthiness and that if I didn't I would be too far under my daily calories... :smile:

Oh my goodness, I love this idea. I'd tried eating a larger breakfast, which did work a little bit, but a larger lunch actually makes sense and based on the breakfast test, I think it may work! Thank you!
  • lesley12345
    lesley12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Eat a well balanced dinner and if you still feel hungry after that than grab a light snack. The 100 cal snacks help me if I get a craving for something sweet or I cut up some carrots or peppers for a crunchy snack. There's nothing wrong with "snacking" as long as you do it in moderation and try to find "healthier" alternatives..
  • talbert2
    talbert2 Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi, I signed in yesterday because this forum looks great! Just what I need, a "Pal". One huge issue I have is eating at night. My will power seems to go out the window. I am back on my fittness program and loving it. My calorie intake is really good during the day. I really need some serious support for evening munching. I can do this with some kind of support, right?

Anyone?

Terry8
  • AriesGrl
    AriesGrl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I eat a healthy bowl of cereal everynight before bedtime=)
  • LilChickPea
    LilChickPea Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Evenings are hard for me too! After my little girl goes to bed I think... FREEDOM!!! Of course I want a really nice snack and some time in front of the tube. Well, I saw my weightloss moving slowly. So, I decided that I would not eat anything after 9:30. If I am really in need of something it has to be a fruit or a veggie. Once I started that, my weight really started dropping. In order to get through the late night munchies I drink ice water and I do deep breathing exercises (sounds strange I know). But, if I feel that horrible hunger pain taking a deep breath really helps me. I'm just hoping that I will get use to not eating late at night and it will get easier. Good Luck!
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I try to keep some calories for later in the evening and plan accordingly. I, too, always get hungry in the evenings. It's definitely great to have your biggest meal at lunch, where possible, but allow yourself some leftover calories for evening munchies, and invest in some lower calories treats like the snack size drumsticks ice cream.
  • tbrown1025
    tbrown1025 Posts: 165
    Options
    My "danger" time is around 5p, while I'm cooking dinner. This irks me because me I KNOW I'm going to be eating soon. Since I'm usually in the kitchen at this time, I'll try to keep some veggies on hand to munch while I'm cooking. I love, love sweet bell peppers and zucs. Anytime I'm feeling "snacky" and don't feel like I can distract myself from the craving, I'll usually give in and eat as long as it's healthy choice: apples w/pb, vitatop, string cheese melted on lowcarb tortilla (mini-quesadilla!), or even have some protein powder mixed with milk (almond fo' me!).
  • powdermnky
    powdermnky Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The larger lunch, smaller dinner works well for me when I am able to stick to it. There have been times when I go ahead and have a large dinner as well. Exercise always counter-acts this problem. I usually save a small amount of calories for a late night snack such as swiss miss fudge bar or jolly time popcorn. If I am still craving after the small snack, I wash my face and brush my teeth as though I'm getting ready for bed. This trick usually always does the trick for me!
    Kristie
  • traceywaugh
    traceywaugh Posts: 144
    Options
    i used to be bad for night time cravings iam at gym in the evenings so no temptations there and im too tireed when come back. As a lot of my gym classes start at 6 it was a bit of a rush to organise and eat tea giving it time to settle beforehand so started to have main meal at lunchtime too. Pre gym used to get cravings but at times think itwas just boredom eating so doing something different have a list of things to do for these moments just pick something of it ie paint nails, moisturize hands feet, jobs you never get round to doing
  • traceywaugh
    Options
    i used to be bad for night time cravings iam at gym in the evenings so no temptations there and im too tireed when come back. As a lot of my gym classes start at 6 it was a bit of a rush to organise and eat tea giving it time to settle beforehand so started to have main meal at lunchtime too. Pre gym used to get cravings but at times think itwas just boredom eating so doing something different have a list of things to do for these moments just pick something of it ie paint nails, moisturize hands feet, jobs you never get round to doing
  • traceywaugh
    Options