Gym machine cals VERSUS heart rate monitors

Options
i know this is a slightly touchy subject with some but I just wanted to make it known that for the last few days I have been testing my HRM against my gym's elliptical machine's (latest model Precor very good machine) calorie burn read out. Keep in mind that both machine and HRM require you enter age and weight (AND sex for HRM... something the elliptical did not ask). The elliptical machine consistently told me that I had burned TWICE AS MANY CALORIES as my HRM did. I will not say what monitor brand I have as I don't want to "advertise", but I am telling you that it truly makes a difference. Trust me, this made me VERY SAD as I would love to have burned 388 cals instead of just under 200, but as far as my diet and calorie nets, I would much rather know I only burned 200 and therefor use 200 instead of thinking I burned 388 and actually eating 188 CALORIES OVER MY GOAL!! Sooooo, all I am saying is I am glad I purchased one (cost was about 107.00) and have an advantage with more accurate calorie goals. Some will say "who cares! You don't need it! It is too much money" but I say "if you just save some of a little money over the next few months it will definitely help! Make it a non-food reward for your next 5 pound loss" really, I didn't want to spend the money either, then I started thinking of ALL the money I hav spent over the last 10 years on all these "diet" things that have turned out to be gimmicks! I can assure you that a HRM is NOT a gimmick and it is TOTALLY worth the money! Treat yourself:-) you deserve it!!!

Replies

• Schuyler
    Schuyler Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I love my HRM. It's interesting though, when I'm at the gym with my HRM on and the HRM on the machine picks up, it (the machine) UNDERESTIMATES my calories. Even though I've imputed the same info on my personal one and the machine. Usually my watch readout tells me 75-100 calories more than the machine. I always go with my watch, just shows how inaccurate the machines are!
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I haven't done a comparison between the machines and my HRM, but I know I always have a hard time maintaining a reading on gym machines, no matter how I grip those sensors. I didn't want to spend the money on an HRM either but I'm SO glad I did (about $90). I love having an accurate measure of my calories burned, and it can make a huge difference for someone trying to lose weight.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    The machines and online calculators give me at least 2x as many calories burned as my Fitbit says I used. I think I'm more efficient than usual? Not sure.
  • someday_soon
    Options
    Yeah I have a Polar FT7 and it consistently tells me 100-200 calories LESS than the elliptical or treadmill for an hour. But on the other hand, it gives me a much higher number than the number I was estimating for my spinning and kickboxing and kettle classes! :)
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I trust the heart rate monitor because it takes in to account your personal fitness, it knows how hard you are working because it can sense your heart beat. It will know when you are in cardio and fat burning mode etc.

If in doubt, take an average.
  • lesley12345
    lesley12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I love my heart rate monitor too, it's definately a good investment if you can afford to purchase one. I find that my watch reads about 40-50 calories less than what the machine says, which isn't too far off. I think it's a good investment, my husband purchsed it for me as a gift when I reached the halfway point to my goal and absolutely love it. But on the other hand, I did manage to lose 20lbs prior to the watch so I must of done something right. =)
    I definately recommend getting one but I also understand some people just can't afford it. My rule of thumb prior to getting the watch was I wouldn't jump off the treadmill or elipitcal until I reached 350 calories on the machine, I figured I had to be close to burning that many.
  • boobear80
    boobear80 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is so helpful!

I am having the total opposite effect as most people. My heart rate monitor calorie counter is about 100 calories MORE burned than the stairmaster I used yesterday. That was the first time I used it though, so I am going to try it on the eliptical today. I'm worried now that it is not accurate! I liked using it though because I could keep track when I was lifting wieghts. Also, one day I am going to put it on all day and see how many calories I burn just through daily activity so I can see the relative burn when working out.
  • smpearce13
    smpearce13 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I've always wondered which one was more accurate. I have a Precor at home (with a HRM built in) and when I do use an elliptical at a gym, the gym one is usually between 50-75 calories less for the same timeframe. Now, I'm the only one using my Precor, vs the gym that probably has 20 people on it a day, so I would like to think that mine is more accurate. :)

One day I'll suck it up and get a HRM and find out the truth! (Hopefully!)