New Clothes...sigh...To those who have lost a lot of weight.

2»

Replies

• Galathea
    Galathea Posts: 420 Member
    belts are my best friends now. LOL
    I also bought shirts I now wear as short dresses with a leggings. Skirts are awesome.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    I guess I'm lucky (HA! never thought I would say that!) that my weight (7 stone) piled on in little more than 2 years as I still have all my old clothes. But On the way up I used ebay...I never intended to stay in them for long (I didnt but the weight was still going in the wrong direction!) so wasn't happy to be paying top price.

Hit last minute 99p/c bids with low postage costs, check out charity /thrift shops, Oh and sharpen your needlework skills, darts are easy to put in trousers and skirts, tops are a little harder to take in but can be done if you follow the original seams and dart lines
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    I hear ya! Totally have this problem and have been spending a fortune on clothes. I've decided that a belt is my best friend, one of the big ones you were higher, its salvaged some old shirts. As well, maxi dress and skirts seem to be lsating longer than others. Trousers are currently the bane of my existance!
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    I have a friend that owns a consignment shop. I take her the clothes I can no longer wear and go home with clothes that fit.
  • lkenn67
    lkenn67 Posts: 215 Member
    I have to agree with the thrift store idea. I have found many great bargains there, but you do need the time and patience to sift through all of the junk. I have a tendency to buy a couple of nice basic slacks in neutral colors then partner with a variety of shirts. The shirts can usually last 2 or 3 pant sizes. I have a friend who has taken clothes to the tailors. I have taken tucks myself in skirts and pants, but never actually had anything professional tailored. Usually because I paid less for the clothes than it would cost to have them tailored, but it is a thought.
  • girlwapp
    girlwapp Posts: 136 Member
    Hit the thrift stores and consignment stores or swap with friends. A friend of mine has lost a lot of weight so I gave her the jeans I grew out of when I went on bc and they fit her much better.

Also, especially for shirts, if you know how to sew you can normally either take in a seam or add darts and it'll help immensely. Taking in is a lot easier than letting out too. Pants are a bit more difficult, but skirts are often pretty easy to manage as well.
  • _LA_
    _LA_ Posts: 111
    I lost a lot of weight by the beginning of summer a couple of years ago, and on 10-month teacher salaries I just couldn't do any shopping at that time of the year. I posted on Freecycle that Iw as looking for casual clothes in my size, and someone else who had also just lost a lot of weight (and was therefore now a smaller size than me) gave me pretty much the whole wardrobe she had just grown out of. Half of it was totally not comfortable for me (style wise!) and I passed that on, but the other half served very well for the whole summer. I would do it again!
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    First off.. I LOVE OLD NAVY lol

If you are anything like me, most stores you shop at so have a clearance section. Specifically Old Navy, when I find something that fits good, I know it will fit good at the next size down. So if I find something on clearance that I have already bought before (pair of jeans or whatever) I will buy them. Or if I am lucky enough, I will find my current size and some lower sizes of the same style all in clearance :) Especially at Old Navy, you can often find jeans or dress pants in clearance for $10. Then you have them for later and they make awesome goal pants too.

I actually did that at Additionelle a while back. They had a crazy sale one weekend where all thier jeans (regularly priced at $59.99) were all on sale for $8 a pair. In the few styles I had previously bought at regular price that I liked, I bought all the sizes below my current size that I could find, right up to and including 14's where they stop. I haven't had to buy any jeans until recently when I got into a size 12. I spent about $150-$200, but I was a size 20 at the time. So it saved me a tonne of money in the end.

you obviously can't do this for all your clothes, but when the opportunity comes along, it really helps :)

And I completely understand the buying new clothes and it not fitting shortly after. I buy pants and sometimes within weeks, I have the saggy look in the front. It bothers me, but I know at some point, that problem will be no more.
  • tryinghard2012
    tryinghard2012 Posts: 419 Member
    Same problem, I can only wear my clothes twice before they get loose. It's a great problem to have.

I'm having to shop at some of the less expensive store so I don't "waste" money...(Wal-Mart, JC Penny, Sears) not my preference I really enjoy more fashionable stores however I also enjoy being able to wear my clothes more than twice so it's worth the sacrifice for now.

Went from a size 26 currently a size 14-16 (in bottoms) and 10-12 (shirts) looking to get to a size 8 in bottoms.
  • Crizelda
    Crizelda Posts: 5
    Great suggestions floating around! I used to own a tailoring shop and strongly suggest you "make friends" with a tailor or proficient seamstress! Many will barter and that will save you cash. If you have the too-big stuff tailored and then next time those clothes are too big, buy a few new things, by the time they are ready for tailoring, you may have been able to sell the other stuff! Consignment shops can be great because you sometimes find smaller replacements when you take your too-big stuff in.

Organize a clothing swap. Not only are they popular, they can save many people loads of money.

Second-hand stores. . . lots of stuff is gently used or even has tags on it.

Purchase as little as possible. . . fairly classic cuts, "ordinary" fabrics, and change the look with sweaters, blazers, scarves, jewelry, belts, layering, etc.

Best to you~!
This discussion has been closed.