New to Bicycling for Weight Loss

mrrodriguez
mrrodriguez Posts: 158
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
Like most of you I had a bicycle that has sat in my garage and was seldom used since I let myself go a few years ago. Since I am looking for new ways to be active I dusted off my old Mountain bike (Not that old actually) and had been riding it on the weekends so I wouldn't do the same workout all the time. My office is about 2.5 miles from my home, so sometimes on the weekends I would pedal out to my office to check the mail, drop off my lunch for the next day etc. I wore a heart monitor and boy was I getting some high numbers. For example anything over 100 BPM is sort of a workout now. With Aerobics I can get up to 115, and that is a pretty good workout. On my bike, going to the office I would go up to 145 on some of the hills, and was soaked with sweat when I arrived. This was disconcerting to me because I was hoping to take my bike to work some days, and I wouldn't be able to if I sweat that heavily getting there. I would need to shower, and we have no shower at work.

Today I decided to check my tires and they seemed a bit soft. Got out the two pumps I had. One was broken so I threw it in the trash. The other worked like a charm and I inflated the rear tire until it was very hard. Added a little air to the front too. Anyway I just went on my bike to my office and I noticed I was there in no time. At first I thought "Wow, you've really improved." Then it hit me that I had just inflated my tires to the max, and it was easier to roll along, especially on the hills.

I guess the moral of this story is if you have an old bike sitting around be sure it is all tuned up so that it will let you accomplish more miles without fighting against the underinflated tires, ungreased bearings, inappropriately adjusted seat, etc. If you can afford to go to a local bike shop and get a "tune up" for the summer it will be worth it.

On the up side I am looking forward to driving my bike to work at least one day this week. There is also a trail nearby that I only imagined biking on. Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. :smile:

Replies

• NuttyBrewnette
    NuttyBrewnette Posts: 417 Member
    Love this, thanks for sharing. I'm planning to get a bike to add variety to my workouts too. Good tips, especially if I end up buying a (seldom) used one from someone.

:smile:
  • msChant
    msChant Posts: 5 Member
    I too have a bike that sat.. After joining MFP I started biking for about an hour a day and have lost weight doing this=) Now I LOVE bike rides!
  • jimennis
    jimennis Posts: 80 Member
    Good Stuff
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    I bike to work daily. It is also about 2 1/2 miles, so 5 miles round trip. It is hard at first and I'd end up at work feeling sweaty and winded and exhausted, but after a few weeks, I barely sweat it. Although, when it is 80 degrees before 6 AM, I usually end up a bit sweaty :)

My advice is, if there is a "path of least resistance" take that to work and then challenge yourself a bit more on the way home to make up for it. Also, if you can change your path every few weeks to incorporate new challenges, that will help your body to keep burning fat while you get to work every day :)
  • rperez301
    rperez301 Posts: 10
    I've been thinking of purchasing a bike for some time now.It would definitly break up the old excersize routine. A nice bike ride through town probably wouldn't feel like excersize.
    Thanks for the story.
This discussion has been closed.