Repoening A State Park! :)

Options
Hi Everyone!

Anyone Know how to go about getting a state park reopened?? my fav park closed 2 years ago, and my boyfriend and I want to look into helping them get the funding they need, whadu guys think, should we maybe go to the town hall??

They closed for camping 2 years ago because of electrical prolems, and I guess there is not money left to fix it, I know we couldn't get it down by this season but maybe next year!!

We were thining of a way to collect the funding they would need, and maybe get a big group of people to help clean up the park! but we have no idea where to start with this or who to talk to, we have read that once a park closes they never reopen again beucase of the how backed up stuff gets in the park.

any help would be appreciated :) ~ Thanks!

Replies

• Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    We had several locastatel parks threatened with closure due to our state's budget. A group of concerned citizens formed a grass roots operations to keep it up. They mostly contacted their state representatives ans encouraged others to do so and kept the community informed of what was going on. It worked because the parts are still open.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    The trick will be coming up with a sustainable income stream to keep the park running after your initial cash infusion. The state isn't likely to have any more money now than it had 2 years ago. Talk to the state to find out how much money it takes to run the place so you know what you're getting into.

Perhaps hit up nearby business and those that have a related product (sporting goods stores, health food store, etc) to see if they'd be willing to donate a small percentage of profits to the park in exchange for spot on a "sponsors" board at the park to send customers their way.

Perhaps t-shirt sales or the like from cafe press with "save the park!" or something like that. Or set up a Friends of the Park non-profit. Good old fashioned donation boxes are probably worth it as well.

Good luck!
  • rachelowow
    rachelowow Posts: 47
    Options
    These are awsum ideas!! Im soo glad to see that this has happend before and worked! Thanks guys! :flowerforyou: