Low Carb Support

Options
Hello fellow MFP,

I need help from fellow low carbers. I am starting the induction part of my Atkins diet tomorrow along with a daily workout routine. I have done it before and am really struggling to make this a lifestyle change. It's seems to be the only thing that works for me on my quest to lose weight and stay healthy. It helps me to have a group of people that are going through it with me.

I also would rather people not post if they are against the low carb lifestyle. This is an area for support and help.
I will be sharing my daily accomplishments and struggles so join in with me. Share your name, current weight, goal weight in 8 weeks, and the plan you're following.

Replies

• _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    There's no question that low carbs can work..but you tend to sacrifice muscle.

I've done it before but now days, I only go low carb for 3 days and then re-load on carbohydrates.
    This approach seems to have the best of both worlds fat burning and muscle building.

There's a whole long list of reasons why I think this is better.. I can send you some links if you are interested.
  • drea0087
    drea0087 Posts: 11
    Options
    I lost 5 lbs during induction even with a few "cheat" days!!! I'm still in induction and plan on moving to the next phase once I reach 137lbs. I'm currently 145 lbs and my goal is 130lbs.
  • NancyAnne1960
    NancyAnne1960 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I used to be a carb lover!! But, in order to D-Tour diabetes, I've had to cut out most carb foods. I still get carbs, very few foods have 0 carbs. I just cut out white rice, white bread, white pasta and everything that starts out with white flour. I'm amazed the difference. Good luck to you! You can do it!!!
  • Marlinedorcinvil
    Marlinedorcinvil Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My addiction to cabs is why I decided to follow a low carb lifestyle. When I first started I weighed 202 and went down to 187 in a month with only a little bit of working out. I am now 190 and I have an 8 week goal of 25 pounds and an ultimate goale of 50 pounds. Hoping to hit that before the year is over. I plan on hitting the gym for an hour 5 days a week. 30 min cardio and 30 min strength training.
  • Bethany28
    Bethany28 Posts: 263
    Options
    My husband and I are trying to change our lifestyles to low carb. We are on day 7 so far...pretty much following atkins with a few changes.
  • Shua456
    Shua456 Posts: 211
    Options

I've done it before but now days, I only go low carb for 3 days and then re-load on carbohydrates.
    This approach seems to have the best of both worlds fat burning and muscle building.

There's a whole long list of reasons why I think this is better.. I can send you some links if you are interested.

I'd love those links. I've been trying low carb and while I have been losing weight I'm finding it very hard to stick to and then I end up binging on carbs. I'm really trying to find a happy medium.
  • TonysMiss
    TonysMiss Posts: 128 Member
    Options

interested = )
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    i follow low carb as a diabetic. i had lost over 80#s, than i let life take over. so back at it. in classes for diabetics we learned how to count them with fiber and sugar counts. this is the way i eat. if fiber is over 5 i subtractic for the carb count. example my bread has 22 carbs, w/5 fiber so my bread is only 17 carbs for 2 slices. some snack foods or treats if most of the carbs is coming from sugar i look for a better fit. i eat 45 carbs for each meal, 15 for the morning & afternoon snack, and 30 for evening snack. i am a huge ice cream eater. so i have a nightly ice cream cone. my cone is 4, the ice cream is 16 and under in carbs and i measure out 3/4 cup. it works great for me.
    doing this has started the weight loss again. i just can't have too many carbs. i don't count anything else.
    good luck
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    You can do it! You'll do great! I'm doing Atkins, 20 net g's a day. Started 2/15/11 at 265, and was down 39.5 as of today! Goal is to lose 100 lbs. I'll stay on induction until I'm about 10 lbs from my goal. Good luck! Let me know if I can help!
  • Marlinedorcinvil
    Options
    Has anyone tried intermittent fasting I'm looking at information and I'm thinking about coupling it up with Atkins.
  • Marlinedorcinvil
    Options
    So this morning i was too tired to wake up and go to the gym. its a mental thing! i will go tonight after work then i will definitely force myself to wake up tomorrow! i have no choice i cant get lazy m=now i just started!
  • Marlinedorcinvil
    Options
    Went to the gym last night and this morning. So yay for me but I'm sore, it's a good pain though. I have been going well with this diet. Staying under 20 grams of carbs and I can even enjoy some hooters wings. I've learned that the key to success is to always be prepared. So I try to have my meals planed out for at least a couple days ahead.
    I've also just bought primal blueprint because it combines both low carb and uses intermittent fasting. I find it interesting so far.
  • emarcia28
    emarcia28 Posts: 140 Member
    Options

Interested please send me the links!! :)

i am also on week 1 of atkins! :) So far so good