How to run a faster mile?

atynk
atynk Posts: 400 Member
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey all you runners,

I am looking to speed up my race pace, any tips? i would like to get down to a 8 min mile, and then hopefully a 7. However I am pregnant, and can't do speed intervals, so I'll prob just have to try to run a bit faster each time. But any tips will help!

Thanks

Replies

• mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Working out your legs does wonders for your speed also.

Calf Raises, Leg Extensions, Curls, and Squats.
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    bump
  • Hey there!
    I'm not entirely sure if this will work for you, or if its even suggested, but if I'm outside running I shorten my strides when i'm headed uphill and try to get a HUGE stride going downhill. On flat ground I'll really hit the gas for about 15 seconds and then use the rest of the remaining minute to recover. Doesn't have to be a full sprint or anything, just a slightly faster pace. I'm a drummer, and I tend to think of a certain tempo on my runs, and breathe in rhythm with my pace, which tends to distract me from the actual running, especially when I'm getting tired. Hopefully that helps. GOOD LUCK!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Run more often
    Include Hill training
    Weight training helps
    I've heard that Cycling can improve your turnover rate as well.
  • bitty1taz
    bitty1taz Posts: 309 Member
    I'm going to have to agree with mrphil86. I do what I call my shuffle when I run and have a hard time getting myself to lengthen and gain speed, but since I've been working out with a personal trainger I've managed to shave 5 min. off my normal 4.25mile run. It was even easier to go up hills. Someday I'll be able to go as fast as you do. LOL! I'm like a 13min mile..lol..very slow...I know.
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    What about running negative splits? This is a great reference :)

http://ohsheglows.com/2010/07/15/how-to-run-a-negative-split/
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    Oops I should probably add that I do triathlons so I can only commit to 2 runs a week because I have to swim and bike 2x a week also, plus of course a day of rest lol !
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    There are several ways.
    More mileage
    More efficient stride
    Increasing stamina.

Sometimes there's just no substitute for more miles.

You can try to analyze your stride and see if there is wasted motion. A shorter, quicker stride really seems to help.

But you can try pushing your regular runs a little faster than normal to try & increase stamina. With only having 2 days to run, it could prove to be tough. Good luck.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    BUMP
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    There are several options: tempo runs, fartleks, hill repeats, increased distance of your long runs. But eventually you'll need to practice "running faster". Part of what makes you fast is the speed at which you can turnover your feet. So you gotta practice that somehow. :smile:
  • prettyinpinkagain
    prettyinpinkagain Posts: 11 Member
    I admire you! I do a 12 minute mile but no have a hip flexor issue so I'm sure it is worse if I were to run today. When I used to run more regularly, longer runs would help me with my speed for shorter distances. If you run a 5k race, add a 8 k once a week to your training schedule. I used to do it on a Saturday so I could recover on Sunday before a Monday 5k run. Good luck. I find running a sure fire way to rev up my metabolism and lose all over fat. I really can't find much else to beat it.

4398082.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • ImNotThatBob
    ImNotThatBob Posts: 371 Member
    Bump for you and a bump for your bump :happy:
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    More miles, more miles and more miles.

Two running days a week isn't enough.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Congrats on the pregnancy!

Anyway, I don't have any suggestions to add to what's already been mentioned, but I know when I was pregnant and running, my times never increased past about 5 months along, because once I got to that point, I found I just didn't have the energy or the stamina to get speed, and I just focused on easy miles instead, until I walked around 7 months. But man, towards the end, a 14 minute mile was my "fast" pace. I probably could have rolled myself and gone faster, haha.

Good luck! :-)
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    id concentrate more on keeping up your fitness than trying to do anything that raises your heartrate drastically while youre pregnant imo. Maybe add in an extra run in the week, as i think 3 times a week is the minimum amount to see fitness improvements.

concentrate on easy runs
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    When I was pregnant I was told I couldn't get my HR above 150 bpm. I was a swimmer at the time and used to doing 8000+ yds per day but I couldn't go longer than a 200 at a moderate pace w/o having to stop and let HR go back down. I agree that while you are pregnant, just try to maintain your fitness. Maybe even focus more on swimming, where you are bouyant in the water. You can do lots of kick, which will build your leg muscles and in turn help to run a faster mile.
This discussion has been closed.