learning to accept the fact that i am a diabetic

Options

Replies

• loseatonlady
    loseatonlady Posts: 160
    Options
    Is it possible to manage it & even get off insulin with your diet/excercise? I did it ... it is VERY possible!
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    I need to get myself checked out for diabetes :indifferent: I had gestational diabetes with my last 2 pregnancies and worry that I have it now. Sorry to hear but at the same time glad you're learning to accept it.. thats all "we" can do unfortunately... and of course eat a healthy diet :flowerforyou:
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I was almost put on metformin... I pushed back and fought with every fiber of my being. My last battery of tests say I am normal.

Diet and Excercise are powerful weapons in the fight!
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I'm about to eat dinner, but I want to jump in and say ME TOO! I'm actually doing well a few months in, it's given me great motivation and taught me SO much about the foods I eat. I'm having tiropita, rotisserie chicken, tzatsiki, and spinach for dinner, and that's under 50 carbs! I've been so relieved at the things I can still eat and drink, and even most favorites just need a tweak here or there. It's totally "doable," and you're not alone!

Kris
  • orting514
    orting514 Posts: 153
    Options
    Diabetes runs heavy in my family, 2 weeks ago i went to the doctor and had blood work done, now on tuesday my doc wants to see me to discus my bloodwork, ya i'm dreading what she's gonna say, i'm thinking i have type 1 or 2, we'll see.
  • Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Hypogycemic....to borderline. Just have to eat clean and listen to my bodys response.
  • Thriceshy
    Options
    Okay, dinner done, came in at 42 carbs for the meal. That's what diabetes is about, as much as calories--it's carbs. Not Atkins carbs, but learning about which carbs do what to your blood sugar and planning meals accordingly to keep your blood sugar from getting too high or fluctuating wildly. It's not as bad as it sounds, and MFP makes it a lot easier. Watch the nutritional information--some of what folks enter in, data-wise, is not complete or not accurate, so make sure to check your packaging the first time through, or at least make sure the selections you go with have multiple confirmations for accuracy.

Don't be freaked, don't be scared, be resolved. Tomorrow night's dinner for me? Two rotisserie chicken, bacon, and cheese sandwiches, with steamed broccoli and spinach, and quite possibly a salad to go with it. The chicken is low salt (because we rotisserie cooked it ourselves), low fat (because no oils added, and only skinless white meat for me), the cheese is low fat/45 cals per slice, and the bread is 45 cals/9 grams carbs per slice, and the salad dressing is low fat/reduced calorie. And it tastes like totally decadent heaven. There are changes to be made, but there is still a whole array of wonderful foods to be made. Emphasis on "made." The more homemade, non-processed foods you can incorporate, the better.

Get a food scale--a good digital with grams and ounces. It makes ALL the difference, and makes it possible for you to truly keep track and know what you're eating, which will help you learn how certain things affect your blood sugar.

My "treat" trick that satisfies most sweets cravings? Builder's Bars, especially the mint or peanut butter. It's one of those "learning how carbs affect you" things--they're relatively high in carbs at 30 grams, yet they're low glycemic, so they don't have any real effect on my blood sugar. Another trick? Try Dreamfield's pasta. It doesn't work for everyone, but for me, I can have a nice plate of pasta with my blood sugar staying below 130 at two hours post testing.

Good luck! You can do it, and it doesn't have to be awful!

Kris
  • Thriceshy
    Options
    I was almost put on metformin... I pushed back and fought with every fiber of my being. My last battery of tests say I am normal.

Diet and Excercise are powerful weapons in the fight!

Exact same for me, Jeff--doctor wanted metformin, I said no. I've lost 62 so far, and my blood sugar is now routinely below 130 post meals and my fasting is well below 100. My family is big on popping pills instead of making lifestyle changes (which is not the same as needing to take medication AND making lifestyle changes), and that wasn't the route I wanted to go.

Good job!

Kris
  • rosiepie58
    Options
    What was your first clue that you might be diabetic?