Dropping dress/jeans sizes?

Options
2»

Replies

• auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    For me it is 20 lbs. But I know some people that drop a size when they lose 10 lbs.

This was me. Every 10 pounds I had to buy new clothes. It was expensive. :(
    [/quote

Another MFPer clued my into the idea of buying the in between sizes at a thrift store save some $$ and have clothes that fit.
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    It took about 16 lbs for me to go down a pants size, about 12 lbs to go down a shirt size. Weirdly enough it wasn't until I'd been at -16 for about 2 weeks that I could fit in smaller jeans.
  • angelicdisgrace
    angelicdisgrace Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    For about two months I did not drop any pounds, not one. I did drop two pant sizes.
  • withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I used to wear XXL shirts and after 22lbs shed, I wear L now.

Pants/dress size is trickier. There's so much variation in number sizes.
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i lost 5 pounds and went from a 9 to a 7 (1 inch off hips, 1 inch of stomach) ~ size 10 to a size 8
    i lost 10 pounds and went from 7 to a 5 (1 inch off hips, 1 inch off stomach) ~ size 8 to a size 6
    i lost 5 pounds and went from a 5 to a 3 (1 inch off hips, 1 inch off stomach) ~ size 6 to a size 4
  • cupcakecarnivore
    Options
    For me, I went from a jean size 29/30 to a size 27 and a dress size of 8 down to a 6, after dropping 8 pounds, and Im 5'3.. I've definitely leaned out a lot by doing low rep strength training:)
  • kklindsey
    kklindsey Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    over 200lbs it will usually take you at least 20lbs to lose a size. I think height is a big factor. I am 5'3" and i think at 190 I wore a 14, I know at 160 I wore an 8 and do right now at 155. At 145 I can wear a 6 if I am not lifting and a 4 if I have been lifting for at least a month.
  • Lets_Do_It
    Lets_Do_It Posts: 202
    Options
    I have no idea to be honest- I was an 18, I lost 25 lbs and now I am a 14. I have long legs though. I feel for me its about 12 lbs to get down a size.
  • AshinAms
    AshinAms Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    On another weight loss site I belonged to before discovering MFP there was a discussion about this and the consensus was that one size = one British stone (14 lb). I think it's about right from my own experience but a lot depends on how much you exercise.

I was a UK size 12 at 88 kilos and am a size 16 at 101 but that is when I'm really working out a lot. When I was younger I weighed 70 kilos and was still a size 12 but then I didn't eat right or work out.

Height matters - I am 6 ft!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I started at a size 14 (US) pants. 10 pounds down and I was in a size 12. Now I am 20 pounds down and I am a little loose in a 12, some 10s fit and some are tight. So 10 pounds doesn't exactly equate a pants size for me. I also am pear shaped so I am bottom heavy. No matter how thin I am, I never lose my butt and hips!
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    When I was 167 lbs I wore size 15 jeans.
    Now at 130 lbs I wear size 7 jeans.

So I guess that is roughly a pant size for every 5 lbs.

15 --> 13 --> 11 --> 9 --> 7 = 4 sizes
    So that's a little over 9 lbs per size

as for me:
    I started at 175 and size 14 and
    at 150 my size 10s are a little roomy, but the 8s are a little too snug to be seen in public.
    So I'm about 12 lbs per size

Aren't there even sizes? I know I've seen even sizes. There are people on here that say they are an even size. Did I miss something?
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar position. I've lost 31 pounds, and have only dropped 1 size. I can't wait 'til I drop more sizes.... I hope my time comes soon!!! Started at a size 18, and am now only in a 16.... and even some of them are tight. I want to be like some of the other posters.... who drop a size every 10 pounds!!!! :-)