What do you eat?

Options
I've been watching what I eat but not really following any particular "diet"

I know I should be eating smaller, more frequent meals but it's hard for me as I'm in school.

So what do you eat during the day? I'm looking for ideas

Replies

• midonhau
    midonhau Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    It is important to eat from all food categories instead of focussing on a "diet". A helpful site is www.eatright.org
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I've been watching what I eat but not really following any particular "diet"

I know I should be eating smaller, more frequent meals but it's hard for me as I'm in school.

So what do you eat during the day? I'm looking for ideas

Most days I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks. Think of things that can be easily carried; boiled eggs, almonds, walnuts, greek yogurt, etc....
  • gmkimby
    gmkimby Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 6 meals per day....only protein for breakfast (at least 20 g) cause it keeps me full. For my snacks, I eat fruit, such as frozen grapes, laughing cow cheese & crackers, & greek yogurt. Lunch is usually my biggest meal, once again eating tons of protein. Followed by a light dinner, and if the evening permits, vanilla frozen yogurt. I know it's not that specific, but I hope this helps.
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Hard-boiled eggs are always in my fridge. I buy the 18-pk and boil them all on a Sat or Sunday so that I can just grab some for on the go. I usually have a granola bar in the morning with my coffee, a piece of fruit, and a hard-boiled egg. The granola bar I like is Kellogg's Fiber Plus Antioxidants. They have 9g of fiber per bar so it helps keep me full. And I never leave the house without a piece of fruit, in case I get delayed somewhere away from home.
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Oh another staple is chicken drumsticks. I boil a bunch of them to have for the week--they're easy and you can eat them hot or cold. They go great with some fat-free salsa.

Also, I hate to cook to I buy those ZipLock steamer bags, and you can cook so much in them! Veggies, fish, chicken, etc... you can even make omelets. Sometimes I take a bag with me to work and cook my food in the microwave. Food cooks very fast in those things, and I re-use mine a few times to save money, and they still work great.

Good luck!
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is different - both in terms of their actual physical needs and also their lifestyle/schedule.

Some people need frequent meals/snacks, some don't. Some people do best on carbs, some best on protein. You gotta figure out what works best for you in terms of how you feel and what causes the most weight loss.

I am not a carbs person. I don't really even like pasta, potatoes, bread, etc, so I rarely eat them. So, I eat a lot of lean meats, dairy, and vegetables. I eat fruits that have good fiber/protein sources and aren't just pure carbs.

I feel happiest when I eat whole foods, but i find myself eating things like lean cuisines at work b/c it's just way easier.
  • greeneyedmama81
    greeneyedmama81 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your helpful replies.

I like carbs but I don't lose well when I eat a lot of them.
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Do you mean for snacky type stuff to take to work with you? I like to slice up cucumbers and cut up some broccoli and cauliflower. I bring some low calorie dip for them, too. Fruit also is very easy to bring, especially satsumas when they are in season. Kiwis, apple slices, oranges and celery with peanut butter make good snacks.
    String cheese, yogurt, granola bars are all good ideas, as well. You could also do deli sliced roast chicken wrapped around a baby dill or roast turkey slices wrapped around cheese.

I like to cook so I will make up a batch of ground chicken seasoned with garlic, lime and soy sauce and then I will add different things to it to make different meals. Sometimes I add steamed broccoli and pack it to take to work. Its easy to heat that up. Or sometimes I'll chop up some water chestnuts into the chicken and add bean sprouts and eat it over lettuce (its easier to eat that than an actual lettuce cup, imo).

I'm avoiding red meat so my last batch of ground chicken i made up like taco meat with taco seasoning and I've been making soft tacos and quesadillas with it.

Thats what I've been eating since I started. Lots of fruit, veggies and ground chicken. :D I had no idea it could be so good.
  • cupcakecarnivore
    Options
    A typical day for me looks like this (Im a vegetarian)

I get up at 5 am to go hiking, so I usually have a piece of fruit with a handful of almonds right before

Breakfast usually around 9:30-10 while at work
    cereal mixed with greek yogurt, piece of fruit and coffee with almond milk or if Im feeling lazy, a smoothie made with yogurt

lunch around 1ish
    whole wheat toast, with half an avocado, cheddar cheese, and "bacon" flavored tempeh with some vegetables and hummus

snack 1 around 3:30-4ish
    apple with some yogurt or peanut butter

dinner (around 7)
    I usually make some sort of rice dish with mixed veggies and lentils or if I feel to "carb heavy" from earlier, I make a great eggplant/zuccini casserole with a "creamy" layer made with beans! So yummy! or tonight I had stuffed portabello mushrooms!

snack 2
    ryvita crackers with laughing cow cream cheese or popcorn, or lets face it lol....whatever Im sort of craving in moderation;)
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    This is just an example:

Meal 1: 1 packet of instant oatmeal, 1 cup of 1% milk, 1 handful of blueberries
    Meal 2: 1 kashi granola bar, some yogurt
    Meal 3: 1 bowl of soup, 1 portion of crackers, 2 handfuls of baby carrots, 1 cup of 1% milk
    Meal 4: 1 apple, 1 handful of walnuts, some yogurt
    Meal 5: 1/3 cucumber with peeling, 1/2 cup green peas, 1 baked potato with non-hydrogenated margarine, 1 palm-sized portion of grilled steak with onions, a little bit of salt and pepper
    Meal 6: some watermelon