HELP! Real Breakfast!

Options
2»

Replies

• jessib009
    jessib009 Posts: 8
    Options
    Oh another tip, if you're on the go and have no time, Dunkin donuts has a really good egg white flatbread with either turkey sausage or veggies and is only around 320 cal!
  • SarahJayRigdon
    SarahJayRigdon Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I never have time to both cook AND enjoy my breakfast. I would rather enjoy it with my coffee as I watch the morning news, so I have been making a very tasty, low carb, low fat quiche (it's crustless). I make it on Saturday or Sunday and it makes 9 delisious slices so it lasts all week! The best part is how easy it is. Spray an 8x8 glass baking dish with olive oil. Use whatever cooked veggies and meat you'd like. ( I've used turkey bacon and turkey sausage, always spinach cause it's so healthy), about a 1/4 cup of cheese ( i've tried cheddar and feta), about 1/2 cup WHOLE milk (very important; you need some fat in a quiche but you don't want the richness of heavy cream) and 6-8 eggs, salt and pepper to taste. Whisk your eggs,milk, seasonings, and cheese. Add veggies and meat. Pour into prepared baking dish and bake at 350°F for 40-45 min. Voila!
  • jessradtke
    jessradtke Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I keep several kinds of whole foods bars in my car for those days when I run out the door without breakfast or days when I have errands to run and get home late. I often grab some apples or bananas and take them with me as well. When I'm home, eggs are often the breakfast of choice, but we also like just about any kind of cooked whole grains. In the winter I sometimes put them in the crock pot on low before I go to bed and they're ready when I get up. I also like to slice up an apple and put a thin layer of nut butter on each slice. Green smoothies are also a favorite. Hmmm....what else? Yogurt and fruit. Avocado on toast. Open face tomato sandwich. A crunchy oat/nut bar dipped in yogurt. Oh, and I often eat leftovers for breakfast, especially in the winter when I want something warm and quick. It may sound weird, but a cup of warm soup or a warmed up leftover sweet potato can really hit the spot.
  • syoung76
    syoung76 Posts: 19
    Options
    a warmed up leftover sweet potato can really hit the spot.

Oddly, that sounds great to me!
  • ljw556
    ljw556 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    For me porridge is the most filling breakfast ever, I usually add blueberries, raspberries or fresh apricots and some nuts and it stays with me for hours. I usually have this at around 6am and then at around 10 am I have a cereal bar and a banana or if I have muesli for breakfast (which is quicker but a little less filling) i have another bowl at around 9am! My favourite cooked breakfast is steamed cherry tomatoes, spinach, portabello mushrooms, a poached egg and a slice of rye bread. This is not too over the top calorie wise but it tastes awesome!
  • Lavmann
    Lavmann Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I usually have a bowl of oatmeal with 1/4C of frozen blueberries or Red River cereal with 1/4 C blueberries. Personally I hate eggs, so they aren't going to ever be a part of my breakfast, but anything else (like toast, etc) just doesn't hold me until lunch/morning snack.
  • bjam1234
    bjam1234 Posts: 75
    Options
    Fast and filling = overnight oats - I mix 1/3c quick oats with 100g low fat yogurt and then change the additions after that - sometimes berry compote (1tsp honey and 1/2c frozen berries in a pan for a couple mins then chuck it at the bottom of the cup and fill with oats and yogurt and enjoy in the morning) - sometimes some pepitas and sunflower seeds... or a fibre mix sprinkled on top... fruit, other nuts, there is so much you can do with this - you can also soak the oats in juice instead and put yogurt on top or not use at all etc... although I find yogurt quite filling

Overnight "miracle" cream = from french women dont get fat book - blend a no sugar cereal (shredded wheat is good) with 2tsp crushed walnuts, 3tsp fresh lemon juice, 1tsp flaxseed or olive oil, 100g plain yogurt, 1tsp honey - leave it overnight or mix it in the morning, up to you - the yogurt sets a bit with the cereal in it if you leave it, which I really enjoy...

Filling and delicious - buckwheat porridge - cook 1/4c to 1/3c dry roasted or unroasted buckwheat kernels (they triple in size, so dep on how hungry you are) in boilling water - when almost done pour off most of the water and add 100mls skim milk to make it creamier, then you can add whatever you like - 1Tbsp peanut butter and 20g sultanas is AMAZING - or you can cook a grated apple in with it and add some cinnamon (again, sultanas go well here) - berries and some vanilla essence are tasty - havnt tried banana yet but that is next on my list... This is so filling but more time consuming than the grab and run oatmeals.

I also find smoothies to be very filling - I put 1/2 banana, berries (blueberries are my choice), 1/4c oats, 100mls milk, 50g yogurt and some ice. Again, change it up depending on the day - replace berries with PB or add vanilla, sugar and raspberries for an almost raspberry white choc type flavour... Havnt tried yet but if I was keen for chocolate so early I would imagine cocoa powder would go v well with the banana and some honey/sugar for a bit of extra sweetness.
  • emmalene1984
    emmalene1984 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    muesli, delicious, healthy, and satisfying, i can work out on a bowl of muesli and not need to eat anything more til lunch time, IF i do need a snack, i snack on raisins and dried apple. YUM! :-) good luck
  • LushLoni
    LushLoni Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    So generally on days I work I have the following:
    Banana, low fat yogurt, strawberries/kiwi fruit
    1 slice of toast, low fat yogurt, piece of fruit
    2 slices of toast, piece of fruit
    In the winter I'll have porridge and a small piece of fruit

On weekends I have 1 slice of (400g loaf) toast and 2 scrambled egg made with skimmed milk and fry light or I have 2 slices of toast (400g loaf of bread) and the topping of my choice + some fruit... or eggs and ham... MMmmmmm... eggs and ham :-)