Elliptical vs treadmill

Options
I am looking into buying either an elliptical or a treadmill and wanted to know the pros and cons of both. Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• katy4193
    katy4193 Posts: 44
    Options
    I personally find I get so much more out of the elliptical. I got my elliptical at Play it again Sports and i was able to try it out first which I reccomend because they tend to be different. I find some harder on my knees than others. I use the elliptical at the gym too. I do use the treadmill at the gym as well, and find it handy to warm up. As for the bang for your buck though, I say the elliptical is it!
  • katy4193
    katy4193 Posts: 44
    Options
    I personally find I get so much more out of the elliptical. I got my elliptical at Play it again Sports and i was able to try it out first which I reccomend because they tend to be different. I find some harder on my knees than others. I use the elliptical at the gym too. I do use the treadmill at the gym as well, and find it handy to warm up. As for the bang for your buck though, I say the elliptical is it!
  • SimplyDeLish
    SimplyDeLish Posts: 539
    Options
    Because the eliptical combines walking and stepping you'll burn more calories on it. Plus it's lower impact. I'd go for the eliptical and walk outdoors when you can.

Best wishes in your health quest!
  • prtykekedd
    prtykekedd Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is usually a better workoutfor me...works the arms (singing motion) and the legs (has the built in "stair stepper") that the treadmill doesn't have.
  • LauraJo08
    LauraJo08 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I personally have an elliptical and love it; this is why:

1) An elliptical is better on your knees, especially if you're a little heavier, and it gives your joints a break.

2) It allows me to vary workouts. One day I run outside, and then the next on the elliptical in front of the TV. It allows me to work different muscles and rest physically and emotionally (the tv).

Admittedly, I still use the treadmill at the gym because I love the control of the speed sometimes, but in terms of home equipment, I think that an elliptical is the better choice.
  • mojo21
    mojo21 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Get whichever one you enjoy using more, because then you will actually use it.
    If your joints hurt, chondroitin+ glucosamine have been shown to work well for some people in terms of decreasing joint pain, according to an article published in the new england journal of medicine. Running is a good weight bearing exercise and slows the progression of osteoporosis.
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I run and use the elliptical. They are both definitely different. I find running outside harder on my bones and calf muscles (not necessarily in a bad way); and the elliptical easier on my bones and calf muscles. The elliptical really works my butt and thighs where as jogging outside burns the lower leg a little more for me.

I say get an elliptical and when you want to run go outside and enjoy the weather!
  • Soufsidekitho
    Soufsidekitho Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree that you will burn more calories on an elliptical machine. I have a Nordic Track Treadmill at home and I like it alot. I haven't been on it in a while, because machines tend to bore me a little. But I'm glad I have it, just in case I need it...lol! :happy:
  • rupicola
    rupicola Posts: 9
    Options
    And another vote for the elliptical from me - I hardly ever use the treadmill @ the gym, I'd rather walk/run outdoors.
  • goldenfemale
    goldenfemale Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've had both. I now have a treadmill. I've only got back on my treadmill 2 days ago and have lost 4lbs. What I do to get a full work out is I use weight bands around my wrists while I power walk for 30 mins. I end up dripping in sweat. I put the treadmill on an incline also to increase the intensity. It really is great for me. Less boring as I can switch speeds and the incline. Also as it's fast walking don't mess up my joints. So I guess you need to pick which one you think will keep you interested for longer. I prefer my treadmill as I hate running outside. Hope all comments help you make the a decision. You can't go wrong with anyone you choose as you'll be burning calories regardless!

8495716.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I prefer an Elliptical over a treadmill any day...I work harder on an elliptical.
  • uniquesoul73
    uniquesoul73 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Both have their advantages, however my vote is for the elliptical mainly because you can burn more calories in a shorter period of time and it seems to give a total body work out.
  • ladybugz_247
    ladybugz_247 Posts: 120
    Options
    I have been on the treadmill side for a very long time... I go to the gym and recently pulled a muscle that's taking a while to heal so I started using the elliptical and I love it! Its easier than running for me and because its easier I can do it longer and burn more calories.. not to mention I don't feel sore afterwards like I did when I would run... way easier on our joints. I say go with the elliptical and you can always run at a HS track or something...
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I picked up an elliptical in January I still can not do more than 5 minutes on it. It is such a good workout. I have only used it about 5 times though. :S
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I do both at the gym, but I feel I get a better workout from the elliptical. I have a love hate relationship with it. I hate it while I am doing it, but love how I feel when I complete my workout. In the same amount of time, I burn more calories on the elliptical which always makes me happy too.
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Here is the truth - the best one is the one YOU will use more. So if you aren't already completely sure, see if you can get like a week pass at a local gym and try both. Go every day and one day do the treadmill, next do the elliptical. See how you feel doing the same amount of time on each machine, and see how you feel afterward. See how bored you get, or any other little quirks.

Cause really, they are both very useful machines. The main thing is that if you have leg or foot injuries or knee pain, the elliptical will be better for you. I once had a knee injury and my doctor recommended I get on the elliptical, and it really made for quick recovery.

But if you find that you enjoy running on a treadmill more, don't buy the elliptical out of guilt ("It burns more calories!" "It is good for your joints!"). I mean, personally I prefer the elliptical, but that is because anything more than walking on a treadmill leaves me with too much joint pain to work out the next day. I would LOVE to be able to run on the treadmill, but my body says no.

So. You will burn the most calories on the machine that your brain and your body like the best. :)
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    In my personal experiences, both machines make me feel great BUT the ellip will start to get tedious. The treadmill makes my WHOLE body jiggle and thus giving me that satisfaction that I'm targeting all the places that need it the most! Plus it has inclines and intervals and whatnot. I guess the ellip does too, but it's basically the same motion no matter how you do it.