Eating back calories...what to do!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    I believe this program is just for dieting and doesn't really take into account the exercising part.

Hmm nope. MFP does consider exercise - it just considers it a way to get fit and healthy, it's not necessarily for weight loss. You can (and should) log exercise in addition to logging food.

MFP is different than many calorie counters/weight loss programs, or the way that many trainers set up a plan. These other plans take your “intended exercise” and use that to create a deficit, keeping your daily cal goal static. Therefore, with other plans, you would not replace calories you burn through exercise. MFP is different and you CANNOT compare them, unless you’re prepared to do some calculations to get apples vs. apples and not apples vs. oranges.

MFP was designed with the idea that many people can't exercise regularly, or at all, due to physical limitations or time. They also recognized that most people set up an exercise plan, but as we all know, that's not necessarily what actually happens every day. So they built the site to allow for weight loss with or without exercise.

MFP creates a BUILT IN CALORIE DEFICIT, based on your loss per week goal, regardless of exercise. So when you log exercise, cals are added back in to keep that deficit stable. If you don't replace those cals, you've made your deficit larger than you (presumably) intended. A larger deficit does not necessarily mean faster/more weight loss; it is usually unhealthy and unsustainable and most often backfires, leading to feelings of deprivation, binges, quitting, and weight regain.

For people with large amounts to lose, it is less critical to eat them, as their bodies can withstand a larger deficit. However, there are other risks. People with less to lose need a more conservative deficit and usually do better eating at least some of them back.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

I just ment it doesn't count it because it adds it back into the calorie count. like its not exercise specific more for dieting but has option for exercise

Ah, ok. Sorry, misunderstood what you were saying. :flowerforyou:
  • Harrar10
    Harrar10 Posts: 116
    Options
    I believe this program is just for dieting and doesn't really take into account the exercising part.

Hmm nope. MFP does consider exercise - it just considers it a way to get fit and healthy, it's not necessarily for weight loss. You can (and should) log exercise in addition to logging food.

MFP is different than many calorie counters/weight loss programs, or the way that many trainers set up a plan. These other plans take your “intended exercise” and use that to create a deficit, keeping your daily cal goal static. Therefore, with other plans, you would not replace calories you burn through exercise. MFP is different and you CANNOT compare them, unless you’re prepared to do some calculations to get apples vs. apples and not apples vs. oranges.

MFP was designed with the idea that many people can't exercise regularly, or at all, due to physical limitations or time. They also recognized that most people set up an exercise plan, but as we all know, that's not necessarily what actually happens every day. So they built the site to allow for weight loss with or without exercise.

MFP creates a BUILT IN CALORIE DEFICIT, based on your loss per week goal, regardless of exercise. So when you log exercise, cals are added back in to keep that deficit stable. If you don't replace those cals, you've made your deficit larger than you (presumably) intended. A larger deficit does not necessarily mean faster/more weight loss; it is usually unhealthy and unsustainable and most often backfires, leading to feelings of deprivation, binges, quitting, and weight regain.

For people with large amounts to lose, it is less critical to eat them, as their bodies can withstand a larger deficit. However, there are other risks. People with less to lose need a more conservative deficit and usually do better eating at least some of them back.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

I just ment it doesn't count it because it adds it back into the calorie count. like its not exercise specific more for dieting but has option for exercise

I mis-word things sometimes and don't realize it until its too late! No worries
  • AniMarieSt
    AniMarieSt Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    In the past I've eaten and then worked them off on a consistent basis. It's worked rather well for me. Since I'm off school for the time being I'll be working out sooner and eating back my deficit calories. It's the same difference in the end. To lose MFP starts you off with a deficit of generally 500 calories as it is so that you'll have a deficit of 3,500 by the end of the week (500 x 7 days/week). Whatever deficit you have beyond that is an extra that you can eat back guilt free.