Golden Flax Seed Meal: Vile Cack or Hidden Gem?

Options
MissO﹠A
MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
So, being the brave soul I am, I bought a bag of Golden Flax Seed Meal. It's a big bag with a long shelf life (cold pressed) and it was cheap; I'm thinking "Wa-heeeey. I am a seedy-mealy goddess with elite consumer skills."

My first attempt at using the flax stuff was to replace almond meal in my little one minute muffin thingamajig recipe. Holy sweaty taint of Satan. Muffin, meet trashcan. Failure acknowledged. On to day 2...

Not being one to admit defeat to an inanimate substance without at least a few tries, I decided to go for making a coating for some thinly sliced chicken breast. Threw in some seasoning, a little bit of almond meal. Dipped the chicken in egg wash and then into the adventure-mix. Sauteed in some olive oil. Doesn't sound too bad, right? WRONG. Bad. BAD. BAD. BAAAAAAD. Mind you, not quite as bad as the time I rinsed my tongue under running water after eating vegemite (sorry to you vegemite lovers, I did try it though.). But still in the "not ever doing again unless I'm forced to at gunpoint" category.

And, finally... my plea:

If you have personal experience in tasting anything remotely edible made with Golden Flax Seed Meal, please do share. I'd love to know... please and thank you. Share these classified recipes with the desperate owners of large bags of seemingly useless golden colored vile-tasting flour.

Replies

• Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    OMG I don't mean to laugh, but this is a hell of a funny post. I wish you luck in your quest for non-vile cack.
  • mflm
    mflm Posts: 10
    Options
    1) mix equal parts with almond flour
    2) put thin layer of mayo (use light if you want) on fish (orange roughy or something similar)
    3) sprinkle liberally on top
    bake to completion! (coating will be light brown-brown, fish will flake)

it's delicious with the almond flour, more healthy tasting with the flax. I like to use flax seeds (either whole or chopped or ground) on top of yogurts, oatmeal, or food like that. Yes, it tastes healthy, but it really helps your system! And, if you mix it with a serving or half of a serving of jam or even fruit, the taste really dissipates. good luck! :)
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I put a SMALL amount in recipes and on yogurt and fruit. I certainly don't replace another grain with it, lol. When I make bread or pizza, I'll throw a tablespoon of ground flax seed in the yeasty water before adding in the grains. I add a teaspoon - the little one - of it to my cup of yogurt or frozen fruit, then add a teaspoon of honey and stir it in good. I'll mix a tablespoon into my meatloaf or on my stirfry. A teaspoon or two a day will add great nutrients to your diet.

I do have a great flax seed muffin recipe somewhere, but even that has at the most a half cup of flax seed, if I remember right.

It's great stuff. But don't eat it straight lol.
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Ground flaxseed right? I usually put it in my oatmeal, smoothies or sprinkled on my salads. I'm not really very creative...sorry!
  • Pammie1000
    Pammie1000 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    What brand did you get??? I use "wild roots" It's the only one I've ever tried, so I don't know if there is a difference or not, But I don't think it's bad at all, I usually put a tablespoon of it on my cherrios, I really don't notice it. Good luck, it is supposed to be very healthy, so keep trying : )
  • SmashleeWpg
    SmashleeWpg Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Love your writing style. Sheer genius!
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Love your writing style. Sheer genius!

Agreed!!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    throw satans taint out of the window!
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'm am definitely NOT going to attempt using it on its own unless it's in a small quantity like mentioned above or paired with an equal/greater amount of almond meal. I'll be a big girl and give it a couple-few more chances before pouring it down the chipmunk holes in my front garden. Bumping in case anyone has any more recipes / tips...
    What brand did you get??? ...

I believe it is made by/called Flax USA. I've come up with a few more creative names for it in the meantime. It claims it doesn't need to be refrigerated like most other flax seed products.
    Ground flaxseed right? ...

Yep. It's ground Golden Flax Seed; it's the consistency of a coarse flour.

I've also got the brown flax meal; it's far more coarse and needs to be refrigerated. Funny thing is, when I tried making my muffin recipe with the brown flax stuff it was infinitely more palatable than the golden flax rendition. Please note: by claiming it was "infinitely more palatable", trust me, that's not saying much. ;D
  • LizzieBruen23
    Options
    I would recommend Trader Joe's golden flax seeds, but get the whole seeds, not the ground ones! I throw them in yogurt, cereal, etc. and they have a nice nutty flavor, but its not overpowering if you mix it with other stuff.

Hope this helps and love your post! :)